Awareness as re: 2923.125 (D)(3)

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Awareness as re: 2923.125 (D)(3)

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm not an English major, so I'm looking for input as to how specific the following section of 2923.125 can be:
If the sheriff with whom an application for a concealed handgun license was filed under this section becomes aware that the applicant has been arrested for or otherwise charged with an offense that would disqualify the applicant from holding the license, the sheriff shall suspend the processing of the application until the disposition of the case arising from the arrest or charge.
What I mean is, when the sheriff "becomes aware" of an arrest or charge, when must that arrest or charge have happened?

For example, a BCI check comes back clean, but some other search shows an arrest in a neighboring county...but the arrest happened long before the CHL application...is that enough to suspend processing? Or does the arrest have to happen after submission of the CHL application?

Asking for a friend.
MyWifeSaidYes
Suckerspawn

Re: Awareness as re: 2923.125 (D)(3)

Post by Suckerspawn »

No time frame for the arrest is mentioned.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:For example, a BCI check comes back clean, but some other search shows an arrest in a neighboring county...but the arrest happened long before the CHL application...
I don't think when the arrest happened matters (though I could be wrong). The intent as I see it is that the sheriff must suspend processing the CHL application until the disposition of any pending charges are resolved. The alternative would be to deny the application and force the person to re-apply.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:For example, a BCI check comes back clean, but some other search shows an arrest in a neighboring county...but the arrest happened long before the CHL application...
I don't think when the arrest happened matters (though I could be wrong). The intent as I see it is that the sheriff must suspend processing the CHL application until the disposition of any pending charges are resolved. The alternative would be to deny the application and force the person to re-apply.
My last renewal took about 48 hours so this may not apply much these days :-).

IMHO there should be a degree of common sense, an arrest is not a conviction and if it happened long ago and no resolution was posted by the arresting party then the matter should be considered closed ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Westsider

Post by Westsider »

Be vary careful filling out the Ohio CHL application if you have ever had any type of charges or any convictions even misdemeanors going back to your juvenile record. They just wait for people to answer a box wrong on the CHL application in order to bring charges against them. There is no due process, no sunset provisions, and now from what I can tell they are wanting to merge medical databases to find even more ways to strip people of their rights. This is not a free state despite what people think.