CCW letter in the mail today.......

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CCW letter in the mail today.......

Post by willbird »

Several sources tell 21 News that there are at least 270 carrying concealed weapons permits or CCW's in Mahoning County alone that could be suspended or revoked. The Trumbull County Sheriff's Department confirms they have also found some, but did not have a firm number.

Phil Chance, Junior says he was told there may be up to 700 permits in question, including some in Stark County.

Chance resigned from YPD in 2012. At that time he agreed to forfeit his Ohio Police Officer Training Academy certification and in his own words it was 'permanent and irreversible.' But what happened to make his status invalid dating back to 2010 is unclear.

Part of the investigation into Chance alleges he not only signed-off on instructing the required CCW course but charged up to a
$100 fee. Chance denies to 21 News that he ever accepted any money.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
glove

Post by glove »

Redlion64 wrote:Update: Turns out approx 271 permits will be revoked due to the instructor not being certified during the time of the certificates being signed. I guess it took over six years for this to come to light. The sheriff instructed me to sign up for another class within 30 days, bring the new sign certificate to the office, then my CCW will be recognized again.
If you were in the Military and have a Honorable discharge you do not have to take the class over again. Just take in your DD-214. :D
NRA Life Member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Member 72-75
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

glove wrote:
Redlion64 wrote:Update: Turns out approx 271 permits will be revoked due to the instructor not being certified during the time of the certificates being signed. I guess it took over six years for this to come to light. The sheriff instructed me to sign up for another class within 30 days, bring the new sign certificate to the office, then my CCW will be recognized again.
If you were in the Military and have a Honorable discharge you do not have to take the class over again. Just take in your DD-214. :D
Provided it's not been over 6 years from the date of discharge.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
glove wrote:
The time requirement was removed from Ohio law with the enactment of HB81. Honorably discharged veterans do not have to take the class, regardless of when they were discharged.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
glove wrote:
The time requirement was removed from Ohio law with the enactment of HB81. Honorably discharged veterans do not have to take the class, regardless of when they were discharged.

Is that right? I thought there was also a requirement to show military handgun/firearms training.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WestonDon wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:glove wrote "If you were in the Military and have a Honorable discharge you do not have to take the class over again. Just take in your DD-214. :D"

Is that right? I thought there was also a requirement to show military handgun/firearms training.
Correct, the law says they have to show proof of equivalent training (though some SOs do not require it). Thanks for clarifying that, I was focused on the time limit, not other requirements.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:
WestonDon wrote:
Correct, the law says they have to show proof of equivalent training (though some SOs do not require it). Thanks for clarifying that, I was focused on the time limit, not other requirements.

Does anybody actually NOT get any firearms training if they serve in a branch of the US military ?? I worked with some Russian guys who were in the military in the USSR and were not allowed to even TOUCH a gun once. They were motorpool mechanics.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

willbird wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
WestonDon wrote:

Does anybody actually NOT get any firearms training if they serve in a branch of the US military ?? I worked with some Russian guys who were in the military in the USSR and were not allowed to even TOUCH a gun once. They were motorpool mechanics.

Bill
Is the training required handgun or firearms training? Reason I ask is when I went through basic no one in my training company got handgun training it was the M16, M203, M60, etc.

I'm surprised the Russians don't give their motorpool mechanics firearms training, since the US army does. Just because your primary job is in the motorpool or in an office, etc, doesn't mean you won't be required to pick up a firearm of some kind and have to shoot back at someone if the situation requires it, or maybe fill in perimeter assignments if you're out in the field. The exception might be medical personnel, IDK.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:Is the training required handgun or firearms training? Reason I ask is when I went through basic no one in my training company got handgun training it was the M16, M203, M60, etc.
The requirement is for experience handling handguns or other firearms equivalent to the training required for a CHL.
From ORC 2923.125 (B)(3)(d)
(ii) That, through participation in the military service or through the former employment described in division (B)(3)(d)(i) of this section, the applicant acquired experience with handling handguns or other firearms, and the experience so acquired was equivalent to training that the applicant could have acquired in a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), or (c) of this section.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does every member of the US military receive such training/experience? I don't know, but I would think so...
NRA Life Member

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

willbird wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
WestonDon wrote:

Bill
Let me describe the pathetic firearm training I received in navy basic training in 1967. I was assigned a junk '03 springfield which I carried around everywhere. The only training involved was practicing the manual of arms. Over and over again. On one occasion we went to an indoor range (it was the middle of winter on the shore of lake Michigan). Following a stern, lengthy and boring lecture about not touching the gun until told to do so, not pointing the gun at the instructors, which end gets pointed downrange (literally), sight picture, trigger squeeze, but mostly about not shooting the instructors, we were permitted to fire about 25 or so rounds from the 22lr single shot Marlin rifles.

That was it. To be fair, I worked in aircraft maintanance so my duties, like most navy enlistees, had nothing to do with firearms. Of course it had nothing to do with the manual of arms, knot tieing, marching, floor scrubbing, skivvy folding or most everything else they had me doing.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WestonDon wrote: Let me describe the pathetic firearm training I received in navy basic training in 1967. I was assigned a junk '03 springfield which I carried around everywhere. The only training involved was practicing the manual of arms. Over and over again. On one occasion we went to an indoor range (it was the middle of winter on the shore of lake Michigan). Following a stern, lengthy and boring lecture about not touching the gun until told to do so, not pointing the gun at the instructors, which end gets pointed downrange (literally), sight picture, trigger squeeze, but mostly about not shooting the instructors, we were permitted to fire about 25 or so rounds from the 22lr single shot Marlin rifles.

That was it. To be fair, I worked in aircraft maintanance so my duties, like most navy enlistees, had nothing to do with firearms. Of course it had nothing to do with the manual of arms, knot tieing, marching, floor scrubbing, skivvy folding or most everything else they had me doing.
A few friends who joined the Air Force and Navy during the early 1980s reported very similar levels of firearms training. Since then I've asked other veterans who came along later, when I think of it. Answers are all over the place.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
WestonDon wrote: Let me describe the pathetic firearm training I received in navy basic training in 1967. I was assigned a junk '03 springfield which I carried around everywhere. The only training involved was practicing the manual of arms. Over and over again. On one occasion we went to an indoor range (it was the middle of winter on the shore of lake Michigan). Following a stern, lengthy and boring lecture about not touching the gun until told to do so, not pointing the gun at the instructors, which end gets pointed downrange (literally), sight picture, trigger squeeze, but mostly about not shooting the instructors, we were permitted to fire about 25 or so rounds from the 22lr single shot Marlin rifles.

A few friends who joined the Air Force and Navy during the early 1980s reported very similar levels of firearms training. Since then I've asked other veterans who came along later, when I think of it. Answers are all over the place.
My experience is a bit different having gone through ROTC and the Army. We spent six weeks at ROTC summer camp between our junior and senior years back in 1968. During that six weeks, we spent probably close to a week on the range with M14's and 1911's. Upon being commissioned, I attended Armor Officers Basic at Fort Knox where we received training on the M16, 1911, grease gun, M2 machine gun, M60 machine gun, 106 recoiless rifle, various mortars and the 105 mm artillery piece. This was in addition to the training on the M60 tank weaponry and the M551 Sheridan weaponry. We had to qualify with the 1911 and M16 and the tank weapons. I would venture to say that weapons training and armor tactics formed the bulk of our training. None of that appears on my DD214.

The only issue weapon I ever had in the military that I did not receive training on was the Colt Detective Special that I carried when I transferred to Military Intelligence.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
machinegunkelly

Post by machinegunkelly »

Thank you all for serving.
MGK