carrying without having CHL present

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: carrying without having CHL present

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:Only if you want the enhanced (or whatever they are calling it) DL. I renewed mine last July and got the plain one as I didn't know you needed all that other documentation and wasn't going home to get it and return at a later date. And, frankly I don't care if I can't get into a court house, federal building, etc. If they really want me in one of those places then they will let me in, otherwise I'm not going through that much hassle for a DL.
I figured that I could just take my passport card if I needed to get in somewhere like that. Agree. Too much hassle just for a D/L.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:Got another hypothetical question related to this. Someone I know recently discovered that their Oh DL had expired, but her CHL was not. When she discovered this herself she wasn't pulled over and she wasn't carrying at the time anyway, but if she had been carrying and had been pulled over, could she have been arrested for it?
Since there is no longer a requirement to carry a 2nd form of ID along with your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, she was not violating Ohio's firearms/CHL laws. Now, that wouldn't necessarily keep an uninformed LEO from arresting her, of course...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Got another hypothetical question related to this. Someone I know recently discovered that their Oh DL had expired, but her CHL was not. When she discovered this herself she wasn't pulled over and she wasn't carrying at the time anyway, but if she had been carrying and had been pulled over, could she have been arrested for it?
Since there is no longer a requirement to carry a 2nd form of ID along with your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, she was not violating Ohio's firearms/CHL laws. Now, that wouldn't necessarily keep an uninformed LEO from arresting her, of course...
It is still required to have the second ID until the end of March.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
You are correct, I got my bills & effective dates mixed up. I was thinking of the early renewal change in SB81, which already took effect.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:
schmieg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Since there is no longer a requirement to carry a 2nd form of ID along with your CHL when carrying concealed or in a motor vehicle, she was not violating Ohio's firearms/CHL laws. Now, that wouldn't necessarily keep an uninformed LEO from arresting her, of course...
You are correct, I got my bills & effective dates mixed up. I was thinking of the early renewal change in SB81, which already took effect.
No big deal. I just didn't want someone to get messed up in the remaining two months.
-- Mike

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just to stir the pot:

Just because your DL has expired does that mean you are no longer that person?
Does your identity become void when your DL does?

Do you become an "unperson"?
Shades of "1984".
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

AlanM wrote:Just to stir the pot:

Shades of "1984".
No. "Click Here to learn the one weird trick that voids all your arrest warrants cancels your taxes and child support obligations."
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Shades of "1984".
Well, no, but the ORC specified "valid identification" - seems reasonable that an expired DL is no longer considered "valid".
NRA Life Member

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JustaShooter wrote:

Shades of "1984".
Well, no, but the ORC specified "valid identification" - seems reasonable that an expired DL is no longer considered "valid".
I my mind, (for what that's worth) even an expired DL is still valid identification.
It's just not a valid document for driving legally.

Almost the same document, but not a driver's license, is issued as state photo ID.

As far as the BMV is concerned a DL that is not more than 6 months expired is proof of identity.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

Shades of "1984".
I my mind, (for what that's worth) even an expired DL is still valid identification.
It's just not a valid document for driving legally.

Almost the same document, but not a driver's license, is issued as state photo ID.

As far as the BMV is concerned a DL that is not more than 6 months expired is proof of identity.
Fortunately, in two months it won't matter.
NRA Life Member