Ccw or gun ownership state and federal confusion

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Heights216

Ccw or gun ownership state and federal confusion

Post by Heights216 »

Hi, I tried to use the search but was unable to find anything related to my issue so sorry if it’s been asked. But question, a relative of mine was convicted of a 3rd degree felony for theft. It was non-violent and did not involve guns or drugs. From my understanding, he would be able to own a gun by Ohio standards. But looking on the federal side, it says any crime punishable over a year. Looking further into it, I read somewhere that if someone get their rights restored in the state, the feds will honor that. But in this case, there is nothing to get restored in Ohio since Ohio already says he can own a gun. So can he own a gun and get a ccw or not. Thanks in advance for any input. We contacted a lawyer but they were confused also.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ccw or gun ownership state and federal confusion

Post by JustaShooter »

My understanding is that he is a prohibited person under Federal law and cannot posses a firearm even though he is not prohibited under Ohio law. Because of that, he would fail a NICS check, which is required under Ohio law to get a CHL.

As to restoration of rights, I'm not sure how to go about it, especially in this case. I'd suggest a lawyer more versed in firearms law, perhaps Derek DeBrosse (AKA The Gun Lawyer) or someone from the Munitions Law Group http://munitionsgroup.com/wp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

IANAL, but a relative had a nonviolent felony conviction in another state. He had the conviction reduced to a misdemeanor and then set aside.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Before being modified in 2016, R.C 2923.14 did not allow for relief from a disability that wasn't an Ohio-specific conviction.

Since then, an applicant can list any disabling factor and seek relief.

I, too, would recommend Derek DeBrosse for legal assistance with an application for relief.
MyWifeSaidYes