NICS delays and no FBI response

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ORSalesRep

NICS delays and no FBI response

Post by ORSalesRep »

Hi all,

First I am not a prohibited person, I have had my CCW for 8 years and own many firearms, as well as NFA items. Throughout the years, I would occasionally get a delay and then usually within hours or a day, the dealer would call back with the proceed. Lately, I have been getting delayed all the time. Nothing in my background has changed. I recently had a delay that received zero resonse from the FBI and I picked up my firearm after the 5 days. That said, I am aware of a person at the gym who got denied his CCW due to a 10 year old Domestic Violence charge, but prior to that also got a delay on the firearm purchase, which received no FBI response, so he too picked up the firearm after the 5 days. I guess my question is, what the hell is the FBI doing with the NICS checks? Is anyone else aware of similar situations? It's concerning to me, because obviously unlike myself, there are prohibited people that are having their delays, expire with no response from the FBI and then pick up the firearm illegally. I also found this article regarding 300,000 firearms sold in 2016 with incomplete background checks.
https://thinkprogress.org/exclusive-the ... 80d53aa1d/

Thanks
SB
Regards,
Steve B.
Brian D.

Re: NICS delays and no FBI response

Post by Brian D. »

It's the FBI's game show, run by their rules. I have no idea how to fix their system, or even begin to understand why these glitches happen.

One recurring theme seems to be how "common" names, even when further delineated by differing addresses, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers, cause them to somehow be confused.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ORSalesRep

Post by ORSalesRep »

The Second Amendment guarantees our right to bear arms. IMO if the government whats to implement an inappropriate regulation of that, they should at least provide the staffing, equipment and resources to be able to do the job correctly and within a reasonable time frame. It's actually ridiculous that the lack of accountability on their end, does not even require them to state a reason to the individual for the delay in the first place. Do you not agree?
Regards,
Steve B.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I'm guessing, that with all the new records being added, someone with a similar name & birthday as the op has been popping up.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ORSalesRep wrote:The Second Amendment guarantees our right to bear arms. IMO if the government whats to implement an inappropriate regulation of that, they should at least provide the staffing, equipment and resources to be able to do the job correctly and within a reasonable time frame. It's actually ridiculous that the lack of accountability on their end, does not even require them to state a reason to the individual for the delay in the first place. Do you not agree?
If you're asking me, that's like preaching to the choir, Reverend. Right this minute I'm at a gun/swap meet out in the sticks. Most of my blasters are bought second hand, from individuals.

Having my CHL did save me hassle at a big gunshow couple months back. The dealer--in fact--all the dealers there--were having mucho difficulty doing the NICS check via phone. I just filled out the 4473, handed over the cash, grabbed my new gat, and boogied on out the door.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.