Church permission letter question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Church permission letter question

Post by M-Quigley »

Someone I know related to me that he got a permission letter (sort of) from the church his wife wants him to attend. The first paragraph sounded talked about how mass shootings were extremely rare, and how potentially dangerous it supposedly is to own a gun at all, much less carry one. :roll: The wording of the letter is saying however that while they would prefer someone doesn't carry a weapon in their house of worship, that if a member has a CHL they won't prohibit them from carrying. It also said that the person carrying is totally responsible with whatever actions they take with a handgun, the church takes no responsibility for their actions, and even specified the manner of carrying. I am not allowed to mention the church, as the person involved does not want to draw attention to the churches policy of making people in the church vulnerable, particularly as he is one of those people. What he asked me (and I don't know) is whether or not this type of letter is legal or not in avoiding a criminal charge under the ORC? (Basically we're not giving you permission and advocating that you shouldn't do it but we're not going to prohibit you doing it if you feel you must)

The only thing I told him was that IMO was that if the church was not going to call 911 and complain about him merely carrying well concealed, the issue probably wouldn't come up anyway regarding it's legality. If he had to use it to stop a mass shooting the legality of the letter probably wouldn't be an issue either. Any type of issues in between, who knows?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Church permission letter question

Post by JustaShooter »

From your description, I'd not be inclined to carry in that church with that letter as "permission".

Any chance you could post the actual text of the letter - not the first paragraph nonsense, but the rest?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote:From your description, I'd not be inclined to carry in that church with that letter as "permission"....
This /\

Somebody with the church is trying to have their cake and eat it, too.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If I really wanted to attend that specific church, my take on "we won't prohibit" would be "we grudgingly give permission" to carry, and I'd carry.

But honestly, such weasel wording would have me shopping for a better church.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:From your description, I'd not be inclined to carry in that church with that letter as "permission".

Any chance you could post the actual text of the letter - not the first paragraph nonsense, but the rest?
I'll try to get a copy and ask him if it's okay if I post it, without any identifying information, the next time I see him. I told him I was concerned that it didn't use the words "allow" or "permit". Saying we won't prohibit you is vague, because he's already prohibited by the ORC. I suggested he ask the pastor to at least get the wording of the letter changed to "allow" or "permit".
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:If I really wanted to attend that specific church, my take on "we won't prohibit" would be "we grudgingly give permission" to carry, and I'd carry.

But honestly, such weasel wording would have me shopping for a better church.
It's a church his wife wanted him to go to, because it's affiliated with a similar church in another area that she went to growing up. Even allowing C.C. at all under any circumstances is new for them. Supposedly their attendance has slowly but steadily gone down over the last couple of years, and when they tried to find out why, their no CC attitude and not feeling safe was mentioned by some as one of the reason attendance went down. Even though his wife doesn't personally care about carrying in church, even she told the pastor she didn't feel safe bringing her children there with their old policy anymore after that Texas church shooting. She wasn't the only person talking to them about not attending anymore unless their policy changed either.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I too, would like to see the whole letter, but if all they will "put in print" is that they "won't prohibit" , well.....

I'd like to see "allow", "permit" or "give permission to" or something of that nature.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:I too, would like to see the whole letter, but if all they will "put in print" is that they "won't prohibit" , well.....

I'd like to see "allow", "permit" or "give permission to" or something of that nature.
It's definitely a weasel worded document. Whether they prohibit it or not, it is prohibited by the Revised Code unless they PERMIT carry.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

I sometimes attend a church in the city of Brunswick that has a sign on the wall beside the main door that says firearms are welcome, if anyone wishes to attend send me a pm and i will provide address.
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!