Carrying cocked and locked

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Carrying cocked and locked

Post by AzRanger »

I know this is months later but thanks for all the responses. I continue to carry my Colt Mustang Pocketlite cocked and locked!! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

wls wrote: I recently purchased a CZ Shadow 2, really nice pistol. It is advertised as a DA/SA.....but there is no decocker. I did some research to find that in some competitions (USPSA, not sure what division) you start with the pistol in DA position meaning....you have to drop the hammer on the CZ. I was rather surprised by this, but have to assume it’s done in a very controlled environment. Whoever runs the competition obviously knows what they’re doing, and the shooters are likely trained and carefully monitored when decocking. This might be the one acceptable time to drop a hammer on a live round, but I still wouldn’t want to recommend a newer shooter, regardless of how much practice, do this. Just my opinion.
Just to answer this question

The standard CZ 75 is sold in 2 basic configurations one has a decocker, the other has just a manual safety with no decocker (like your Shadow 2). They are both DA/SA firearms. (there is a SA conversion available, but then the pistol can't be used to shoot production division in USPSA) when shooting USPSA competitions the rules state that if you are shooting production "Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal.", so the hammer must be dropped before holstering your pistol. "Make Ready", the loading and holstering of your firearm, is done under the direct supervision of the RSO, only upon command, when you are the current shooter, and you are on the range with the firearm pointed downrange towards the backstop. If you have a Negligent Discharge during loading, unloading or clearing a malfunction you are disqualified from the match.

You have the option of shooting the pistol in another division that doesn't require decocking.... but keep in mind there's a reason most people in those other divisions aren't shooting 9mm. (Major/Minor power factor scoring) but if you put all your rounds in the A zone then the power factor really doesn't matter.

Hope that helps clear things up. I encourage you to find a local match if you've never shot one, it's a lot more fun than standing and shooting on a square range.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
The German

Post by The German »

I always carry my handguns (Glock 22, Springfield XDS, several 1911s - no, not at the same time...) loaded with a round in the chamber. Should I ever need it, I don't want to have to waste time getting it ready.