Arrested in Lakewood

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jode21258

Arrested in Lakewood

Post by Jode21258 »

I am a Geauga county resident. My hand gun was stolen from my car
The car was locked and the gun was in a holster between the front seats
I reported this to the local police in Chesterland and they took the serial number
and said they would check local pawns shops. The officer said because I have an older car with
non electric locks that they have been breaking into cars with flat bars stealing content and
then relocating an closing the doors.
Because I work in Lakewood I also reported with the Lakewood police that it could have been stolen
there. I reported the stolen gun went home and was asked the next day to come back to the station
to answer a few more questions. When I arrived and checked in I was promptly arrested for
not properly securing a handgun. Quite a different response then the Chesterland police.
I now have a court date and may be charged with a felony
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Arrested in Lakewood

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Do you have a CHL? Do the Lakewood police know that? There is a state law about storing firearms in vehicles but it doesn't apply to those who have a CHL.

Get a lawyer and make sure they're familiar with ORC 9.68 http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has been upheld by the OH Supreme Court as a general law exception to home rule, and which sates the following:
Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.
Note that this precludes municipal ordinances purporting to cover the above. Storing a gun in a car is clearly a method of "transporting, storing, or keeping" it. The state law on failure to secure dangerous ordnance doesn't apply here as the state definition of dangerous orndnance excludes handguns designed or suitable for sporting purposes.

Also make sure your lawyer knows, and can tell the local prosecutor that, the law provides for awarding court costs and attorney fees in legal challenges to such ordinances.

Beyond that, keep quiet about it until it's over.

Good luck.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Arrested in Lakewood

Post by Mustang380gal »

Duplicate thread.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!