Going to Texas

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cfiiguy

Going to Texas

Post by cfiiguy »

I am heading to Texas in a couple days, and was verifying states that honor my Ohio CCW. Seems I might be in trouble in Texas. My CCW was issues before the 3/22/2015 date that allows Ohio to carry in Texas. Anyone know the rules to at least be able to have it with me in the RV?
Many Thanks
Steve
Buckeyedoc

Re: Going to Texas

Post by Buckeyedoc »

Here is a great resource for carrying in Texas.

https://www.texas3006.com/

There is also an smart phone app that is highly reviewed.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

cfiiguy wrote:I am heading to Texas in a couple days, and was verifying states that honor my Ohio CCW. Seems I might be in trouble in Texas. My CCW was issues before the 3/22/2015 date that allows Ohio to carry in Texas. Anyone know the rules to at least be able to have it with me in the RV?
Many Thanks
Steve
If you travel there frequently, you might want to pick up an Arizona license for $65. With that, you can carry in all the states that you will have when you renew your license, including Texas and Wisconsin.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
welshj

Post by welshj »

from the Ohio attorney general website-

"House Bill 234 strengthened background check procedures by requiring sheriffs to contact the federal
National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to verify that a concealed carry applicant
is lawfully eligible to possess a firearm in the United States. This change allowed Attorney General
DeWine to execute a concealed carry reciprocity agreement with Texas, which already had such
standards."

This applies only to those CCWs issued or renewed after March 23, 2015.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

welshj wrote:from the Ohio attorney general website-

"House Bill 234 strengthened background check procedures by requiring sheriffs to contact the federal
National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to verify that a concealed carry applicant
is lawfully eligible to possess a firearm in the United States. This change allowed Attorney General
DeWine to execute a concealed carry reciprocity agreement with Texas, which already had such
standards."

This applies only to those CCWs issued or renewed after March 23, 2015.
That won't help the OP much since his was issued before that date. I believe he can carry in his RV, but not outside the vehicle. I don't know if the open carry law passed there recently allows open carry without a license. This is something that can be checked at handgunlaws.us.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

schmieg wrote:I don't know if the open carry law passed there recently allows open carry without a license. This is something that can be checked at handgunlaws.us.
It does not, a concealed carry license is required to carry openly - actually, I think they might have even renamed the license...

Yup, just checked and Texas now calls their license a "License to Carry a Handgun" or LTC.

As to RV / Car carry, it looks to me like you can have a handgun in your personal vehicle without a license, but the devil is in the details. Texas law says:
(a) A person commits an offense if the person [he] intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
Which looks to me that if you don't have a TX license or one that TX recognizes, you can carry a handgun on your person in your vehicle as long as it isn't carried openly (or unless you are a criminal or engaged in criminal activity).

But then handgunlaw.us says:
Note:
Anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry it in a vehicle in Texas.
If you do not have a License Texas Issues or a Permit/License Texas honors the firearm must be concealed and can’t be on your person. It can be in the Glove Box, Console or hidden from view but not on your person. If you have a Permit/License Texas issues or honors you can open carry in a vehicle but the firearm then must be carried either in a shoulder holster or belt holster. If you have a License Texas Issues or honors you can conceal it
on your person with any carry mode you wish
So I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if handgunlaw.us is misinterpreting it. Were it me, I'd check with Texas' equivalent of OFCC and see what they had to say.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!