Turn around time on Conceal & Carry license?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MrTruthSayer

Turn around time on Conceal & Carry license?

Post by MrTruthSayer »

I live in Clermont County and I was wondering about the turnaround time (how long, on average) the wait time is. I know that they probably dont release that info, so it will most likely be a "My friend, I, or family member got theirs in X amount of time." But still, I am curious as it will more than likely decide which county I will be going to.

As far as I know, I am able to get my permit in any adjacent county to the county I live in. So Brown, Hamilton, and Warren (Does Clinton count? It just barely goes over the north-eastern corner and my nearest town, Blanchester is in Clinton County).

I have heard that Warren county has a very long wait time (around 30+ days). So I am for sure going to avoid that county. I have heard that Clermont was fairly decent and that Clinton was great.

Clermont and Clinton Sheriff offices are about the same distance from my house; Hamilton is about 10 minutes from my work. If Im able to get it processed in all, I would like to pick the one that is quickest :D
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Turn around time on Conceal & Carry license?

Post by Gramps »

The way I understand it is any county that has a common border with your residence county is acceptable but I don't know about turn around time.

Welcome to the forum!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I see that this is your first post so welcome to the OFCC forums!

I'm not familiar with the counties you mention, but one of the people on the Ohio Concealed Carry (CCW) Facebook group has compiled a list of county wait times. In many cases it is based on a single report by someone, and in others is an average, and it doesn't differentiate between initial application and renewals or the age of the data so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, his list says that Warren county has a 1-day turnaround, followed by Brown with a 10 day turnaround. He doesn't have any data on Hamilton, and he shows Clermont at 40 and Clinton at 45.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MrTruthSayer

Post by MrTruthSayer »

Ok cool, thanks guys!
mreising

Post by mreising »

JustaShooter wrote:I see that this is your first post so welcome to the OFCC forums!

I'm not familiar with the counties you mention, but one of the people on the Ohio Concealed Carry (CCW) Facebook group has compiled a list of county wait times. In many cases it is based on a single report by someone, and in others is an average, and it doesn't differentiate between initial application and renewals or the age of the data so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, his list says that Warren county has a 1-day turnaround, followed by Brown with a 10 day turnaround. He doesn't have any data on Hamilton, and he shows Clermont at 40 and Clinton at 45.
Yes, Warren can and does turn the application into a license in 1-2 days after the receipt of the application, however, Warren County requires an appointment and those wait times have been over a month in many cases. If they can get you in quickly, you will probably get your license in short order. Clermont has always been good for me but it can vary.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

mreising wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I see that this is your first post so welcome to the OFCC forums!

Yes, Warren can and does turn the application into a license in 1-2 days after the receipt of the application, however, Warren County requires an appointment and those wait times have been over a month in many cases. If they can get you in quickly, you will probably get your license in short order. Clermont has always been good for me but it can vary.

Warren County also has been known to give your license to you at said appointment.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Kind of irrelevant, but we're not just mucked up here in OH....

When PA allowed mail-order renewals, Center County used to get a renewal out to you in a few days. More or less "transit time" via mail.

When they insisted on "in person" handling, Lawrence County, who demands LOCAL references, and calls them, would do their renewals - folks who'd previously been licensed out of Lawrence County - on the spot, or within a day or two. However, unlucky folks like me, with Center County paperwork, took a full wait - 21 days, I think, or even longer. (I don't recall how long.) But at least they were nice about it, and I had the references. :D

Here in OH, some Counties have been almost obstructive, and then turned into "right away", and vice versa. In the absence of better data, I tell people "two months". Seems to work :mrgreen:....

Back in 2004, I'd hoped to get my first CHL before a weekend trip to Columbus. Naturally, I had to come back "next week" to pick it up.... At my first renewal, the Deputy said that he'd have it back after lunch (0830 appointment), but he had to be someplace else. "See you next week...." 'Bout 3 weeks for the renewals. Columbiana County requires three visits. One, downtown, to drop of the paperwork and money, and then two more out at the Sheriff's station at the Jail to actually do anything. The good news is that they've been very consistent.

Many years ago, I had a City PD "Special Commission". These had to be renewed at the Crime Lab, every six months. Sometimes it took two visits, sometimes an hour or less. One renewal, I sat and chatted with the Captain in charge of the Crime Lab while his assistant handled the whole thing in about ten minutes. Sometimes you taped the paperwork and a buck to the desk, and they mailed the new paperwork to you, too.

For some years, the Crime Lab had a knock-your-socks-off beauty for a secretary. (Competent, too!) When she got married, and quit, there was a lot of mourning :D.... Made getting renewals unforgettable, though.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
eagle45
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by eagle45 »

MrTruthSayer wrote: I have heard that Warren county has a very long wait time (around 30+ days). So I am for sure going to avoid that county. I have heard that Clermont was fairly decent and that Clinton was great.
This has not been my experience with Warren county at all. I lived in Montgomery county years ago when I first got my CCW, and was issued my first one in Preble county. After moving to Warren, I have renewed a couple of times there, and the last renewal I was in and out with the new license in just a few minutes. My wife got her CCW in Warren last December, and it came in the mail in less than a week. Folks there are very helpful. I don't know where your info came from, but I've never heard a similar comment about Warren.

ETA - just read another post and I agree - the wait time for the appointment can be long, plan accordingly.
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks.” Thomas Jefferson.
MrTruthSayer

Post by MrTruthSayer »

This has not been my experience with Warren county at all. I lived in Montgomery county years ago when I first got my CCW, and was issued my first one in Preble county. After moving to Warren, I have renewed a couple of times there, and the last renewal I was in and out with the new license in just a few minutes. My wife got her CCW in Warren last December, and it came in the mail in less than a week. Folks there are very helpful. I don't know where your info came from, but I've never heard a similar comment about Warren.

ETA - just read another post and I agree - the wait time for the appointment can be long, plan accordingly.

Ya, it seems that my friend had failed to mention that it took so long because of the appointment times. I guess they arent so bad after all! Well, so long as I can get in within a couple days. I'll prob just go to Clinton/Clermont if the wait time is too long in Warren. Since they dont require appointments.

Thanks gain guys!
mreising

Post by mreising »

eagle45 wrote:
MrTruthSayer wrote: I have heard that Warren county has a very long wait time (around 30+ days). So I am for sure going to avoid that county. I have heard that Clermont was fairly decent and that Clinton was great.

It never hurts to check with them. I had a few students that were able to get next day walk-in appointments if there was an opening; that coupled with the very fast turn around meant some licenses issued within a day of asking for an appointment.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Some get the permit same day here in Ashland Co. For myself it was three days.
robbo

Post by robbo »

mreising wrote:
eagle45 wrote:

It never hurts to check with them. I had a few students that were able to get next day walk-in appointments if there was an opening; that coupled with the very fast turn around meant some licenses issued within a day of asking for an appointment.
It took me approximately 40 days in Clermont. Its also stated 'DO NOT CALL' to inquire about your license on the receipt