Summit County Waiting Period

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mjd1616

Summit County Waiting Period

Post by mjd1616 »

I discovered this great forum, only after I applied for CHL at Summit County jail

I turned in the completed application, supporting documentation and fee back on the last Friday in May (5/27).

Not sure what the current waiting period is.

I did contact Deputy Mundy back on 7/6/16. She asked when did I turn in the paperwork and then asked if I had ever been convicted, which was "No". The only thing she offered is that they were waiting for the return of the background check.

:|
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Summit County Waiting Period

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Welcome to the forum!

As the OFCC Compliance Coordinator, I'm the guy who gets to call and check up on things like that.

The stories I've been getting lately are that the Ohio Attorney General's Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI), the folks that do the background checks, have been running slow and have been taking 30 days or more to return background check results. If the Sheriff's office does their own background check or verifications/clarifications, that's usually after the BCI check comes back.

You can call the CCW desk and ask, specifically, if the Sheriff has received your background check back from BCI yet.

If they have not, ask them on what day was your info submitted to BCI. It should have been the same day you submitted your application, but they may have dragged their feet. BCI is supposed to return a background check in 30 days. If it's taking longer, we need actual dates so we can 'file a complaint' (nice way of saying yell at them :twisted: - just kidding).

Let me know the dates they give you.
MyWifeSaidYes
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I find it amazing that Deputy Munday is still the CHL person in Summit Co. She processed my application back in 2004 and my renewal when it came due.
Both took 3 weeks, BTW.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
init_dot_t

Post by init_dot_t »

welcome fellow Summit county resident! I always like seeing locals on here and hopefully your wait isn't too much longer!
mjd1616

Post by mjd1616 »

Deputy Mundy called today to let me know I could come down and pickup my license.

So I took an extended lunch.

The staff was very courteous and made it in and out without much of a wait.

She did warn me not to carry though until 4:00 as that's when LEEDS (not sure on spelling) is updated.

Other than the 53 day wait, which seemed forever, it was an decent experience.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

53 days? That should be illegal. Oh....wait....
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Summit county sucks, all those hacks are useless in that office.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Can't carry until 4:00? Laughable...

From the moment te plastic is pressed into our grubby little hands it is valid until the stated expiration date... Unless the date says,

XX-XX-2020 at 4.33PM
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
xDeaconx

Post by xDeaconx »

I had heard some not so great things about summit county and the waiting period. Being in the northern part of the county, I made an appointment and headed to Portage Co. (about the same distance, maybe closer to me) and walked out with my license the same day!
Sig330guy

Post by Sig330guy »

Really punching myself in the face for not asking around before running to summit county to put my app in!!! I live in Medina and appointments were booked for over a month, with summit being walk in I figured it was better...but now I see that I'm going to be waiting a while, huh? Is it safe to say that I'm definitely not getting my permit for 30+ days..?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Sig330guy wrote:Really punching myself in the face for not asking around before running to summit county to put my app in!!! I live in Medina and appointments were booked for over a month, with summit being walk in I figured it was better...but now I see that I'm going to be waiting a while, huh? Is it safe to say that I'm definitely not getting my permit for 30+ days..?
Wayne County. You may need an appointment, but you generally walk out with your license.

Just keep that in mind for renewal in 5 years.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Sig330guy wrote:Really punching myself in the face for not asking around before running to summit county to put my app in!!! I live in Medina and appointments were booked for over a month, with summit being walk in I figured it was better...but now I see that I'm going to be waiting a while, huh? Is it safe to say that I'm definitely not getting my permit for 30+ days..?
Wayne County. You may need an appointment, but you generally walk out with your license.

To be fair, the initial license usually takes a couple of days (unless they've gotten better recently), but yes, renewals at Wayne County are often issued on the spot.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I think we got our initial license the next day in April, 2004.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mustang380gal wrote:I think we got our initial license the next day in April, 2004.
Mine was issued and mailed the following day, 4 years ago.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:

A large portion of Summit Countians come to Wayne County. Unfortunately, they are also the dominant source of sketchy background checks.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.