BOAT CARRY

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

on_target

BOAT CARRY

Post by on_target »

I thought that I had this on figured out until someone told me different. Can anyone advise on this topic.
jeepzilla

Post by jeepzilla »

Same rules apply as though your were in your car. Not likely to have highway patrol pull you over though. I hope that the Coast Guard knows the law. Sheriff's water patrol prolly does, but assume the worst. Best assurance is not to do something that needs them to stop you.
on_target

GETTING STOPPED

Post by on_target »

Coast Guard, Harbour Patrol, ODNR Watercraft Division, or Police Patrol boat can stop any watercraft just to check that there are life jackets on board.
What I came up with is in HB12 Sec. 1547.9(H) has info on vessel carry but it references Sec.2923.126(B) which references Sec.2923.16 in which (E)(1) of that section specifies vehicle carry. So IMHO that must be the way to carry on my boat. If I am wrong let me know and info was obtained. Thanks all.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Misinformation

Post by Daniel »

jeepzilla wrote:Same rules apply as though your were in your car. Not likely to have highway patrol pull you over though. I hope that the Coast Guard knows the law. Sheriff's water patrol prolly does, but assume the worst. Best assurance is not to do something that needs them to stop you.
This is not true. A boat is a vessel, not a motor vehicle. The following is the text of an email I received from the ODNR central office on 5/11/2004:
Dear Mr. White, You are correct in your research. A watercraft is a vessel
and does not fall under the same restrictions as you would have transporting
a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle.
Don't forget that ODNR officers are law enforcement and must be informed.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder