Travel Frequently Asked Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: Travel Frequently Asked Questions

Post by mreising »

Rhino wrote:Close. The ammo packaging does not have to be metal or fiber as long as it's designed to carry ammo. And TSA lists no requirement to seperate the rounds, though almost any container designed to carry ammo would. Magazines have to either be securely boxed seperately or secured withing the locked container with the firearm. It is inadvisable to pack them in seperate baggage because if the sniffers alert on a bag that hasn't been declared to contain a firearm, you will very likely be called back to clear security again.
I stand corrected, I guess I forgot the "or other packaging". From 49CFR:

Sec. 175.10 Exceptions.

(a) This subchapter does not apply to:
{portions deleted by Mreising}
(5) Small-arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember
or passenger in his baggage (excluding carry-on baggage) if securely
packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packagings specifically
designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. This paragraph does not
apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 14 CFR 108.11 (a) and
(b)
I'll have to look at IATA also as I thought the the regs used to be specific without the allowance of other packaging, although for all intents it has been allowed. In any case, just make sure it is in a package designed for ammo.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

I like the plastic ammo boxes designed for the purpose. Truth be told, as long as you're courteous and friendly, most ticket agents are just so glad to see someone going the extra mile to adhere to the regs that they don't care too much what the packaging is made of. I get the distinct impression that they often get passengers who have no clue what the rules are, and made little or no effort to find out before attempting to travel with a firearm. Assuming that's true, it's idiots like that who give a bad impression of gun owners overall. They may be an extremely small percentage of the overall population of gun owners, but you know how bad impressions stand out 100 times more than good impressions, and last far longer in peoples' memory. Tragic, really.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
mreising

Post by mreising »

Rhino wrote:I like the plastic ammo boxes designed for the purpose. Truth be told, as long as you're courteous and friendly, most ticket agents are just so glad to see someone going the extra mile to adhere to the regs that they don't care too much what the packaging is made of. I get the distinct impression that they often get passengers who have no clue what the rules are, and made little or no effort to find out before attempting to travel with a firearm. Assuming that's true, it's idiots like that who give a bad impression of gun owners overall. They may be an extremely small percentage of the overall population of gun owners, but you know how bad impressions stand out 100 times more than good impressions, and last far longer in peoples' memory. Tragic, really.
+1 to that. The clueless ones are probably travelling to New York City.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Rhino wrote: Check the web site of your airline for any minor amendments or variations on the requirements.

I personally recommend against Pelican cases as seperate pieces of luggage because they practically scream, "I'M VALUABLE!", and are thus more prone to theft. That appearance of higher value is also why laptop bags are far more prone to theft at airports, and there's no sense in taking a risk with your firearm if you don't have to. If your Pelican case is small enough to fit within a suitcase, that's great. If not, I recommend a simple lockbox/locking container for the gun and magazines, to put in your suitcase. But again, that's just my personal recommendation.
I read the TSA website and am still not quite clear. It seemed to indicate the case is checked seperately. Are you saying that you can put it into your suitcase after declaring it and then check the suitcase in? And, if it is checked as a seperate item, isn't the case hand-carried aboard and then off again when you land? I think that would make it less prone to theft.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mreising

Post by mreising »

dcludwig wrote:
Rhino wrote: Check the web site of your airline for any minor amendments or variations on the requirements.

I personally recommend against Pelican cases as seperate pieces of luggage because they practically scream, "I'M VALUABLE!", and are thus more prone to theft. That appearance of higher value is also why laptop bags are far more prone to theft at airports, and there's no sense in taking a risk with your firearm if you don't have to. If your Pelican case is small enough to fit within a suitcase, that's great. If not, I recommend a simple lockbox/locking container for the gun and magazines, to put in your suitcase. But again, that's just my personal recommendation.
I read the TSA website and am still not quite clear. It seemed to indicate the case is checked seperately. Are you saying that you can put it into your suitcase after declaring it and then check the suitcase in? And, if it is checked as a seperate item, isn't the case hand-carried aboard and then off again when you land? I think that would make it less prone to theft.
Hand carried by whom? The better choice is to have the case hidden from view, without a large orange tag visible. By devlaring at checkin, having it inspected (if they choose to do so as normal) and then placingthe locked gun cas, inside a TSA locked suitcase it is less likely to be noticed by random personnel in the bowels of the airport. I have also seen obvious gun cases going round and round on the baggage claim carousel. That is making it to prone to theft in my opinion. There will be an orange "Firearms Unloaded" tag placed inside the case where it is not visible.

Mark
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

dcludwig wrote:I read the TSA website and am still not quite clear. It seemed to indicate the case is checked seperately. Are you saying that you can put it into your suitcase after declaring it and then check the suitcase in? And, if it is checked as a seperate item, isn't the case hand-carried aboard and then off again when you land? I think that would make it less prone to theft.
I fly all the time with my gun. I used to use a fairly large handgun case and put it inside an empty duffel bag. But, when airlines started charging for checking a second bag I started using a small gun vault type case and then put it in my suitcase.

The way it works is that you declare the unloaded firearm at the ticket counter. The agents aren't required to inspect the firearm but many of them do anyway. 99% of the time they will then walk you over to TSA. Some let you carry the case, some carry it themselves. I once had them just tell me to take it myself when I flew out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

At TSA, they will inspect the gun, the case, and your suitcase/bag if you put it inside of one. The case is then locked and sent along the conveyor belt to the back.

Word of advice, I did see someone get rejected once for having a plastic case that the TSA agent said wasn't sturdy enough. The agent pushed on its side and it cause the edges to separate slightly. So, make sure you have a good, sturdy case.

Also, clean your gun! I've set off the bomb detector several times due to having a dirty gun. The TSA supervisor told me that's common. It isn't cause for alarm, but does slow you down.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Daniel wrote:
dcludwig wrote:I read the TSA website and am still not quite clear. It seemed to indicate the case is checked seperately. Are you saying that you can put it into your suitcase after declaring it and then check the suitcase in? And, if it is checked as a seperate item, isn't the case hand-carried aboard and then off again when you land? I think that would make it less prone to theft.
I fly all the time with my gun. I used to use a fairly large handgun case and put it inside an empty duffel bag. But, when airlines started charging for checking a second bag I started using a small gun vault type case and then put it in my suitcase.

The way it works is that you declare the unloaded firearm at the ticket counter. The agents aren't required to inspect the firearm but many of them do anyway. 99% of the time they will then walk you over to TSA. Some let you carry the case, some carry it themselves. I once had them just tell me to take it myself when I flew out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

At TSA, they will inspect the gun, the case, and your suitcase/bag if you put it inside of one. The case is then locked and sent along the conveyor belt to the back.
Yes, like Daniel said, you can put the locking case inside your suitcase. I take one of the lockboxes from my truck and put it in my suitcase.

That way I'll have a lockbox for the rental car at my destination too.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
mreising

Post by mreising »

Rhino wrote: Yes, like Daniel said, you can put the locking case inside your suitcase. I take one of the lockboxes from my truck and put it in my suitcase.

That way I'll have a lockbox for the rental car at my destination too.
And you will have it for the hotel room if you have to leave the gun there temporarily and there is no room safe. When I have to do that I cable it to something like the clothes bar in the closet and place it under the extra pillows and blankets that are in there. It is not the best solution (the room safe is better), but it is better than nothing and it is only becomes a necessary issue if I have to drive onto a military installation where I can't have the gun in the car.

Mark
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

That's the exact one I use. They're pretty inexpensive, too.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

So I was refreshing my memory on travelling with a firearm and ran across this on American Airlines website:
Pellet and BB guns are not considered firearms, therefore do not require any special handling or documentation.
I wonder what would REALLY happen if I packed a Umarex pellet pistol in my carryon? :shock:

Also, I planned on taking two guns with me since I plan to visit the range with my FIL when I am in Houston. But, I started wondering about the wisdom of packing my G26 (my EDC). See Pic:

See why I might have to consider a different gun? :lol:
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Inside my suitcase there are a couple rods that I wrap the cable around and padlock it as well.
That way, if my suitcase is opened they aren't easily going to walk away with the pistol case.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Daniel wrote:That's the exact one I use. They're pretty inexpensive, too.
Do you remember where you got it from? I agree with being able to use it in a hotel/motel room, too.

Now, if I'm straight on this, I will go to the check in counter with the EMPTY pistol and magazines placed in a lockable sturdy case along with the ammunition which is in plastic/fiber container (probably the same box the ammo came in), then declare this to the ticket agent, who will tag it, take it to the TSA agent who, after examining, will place in my suitcase and put on the conveyer belt. LONG sentence, that, but in general, that would be the procedure? I'm usually anal about getting to the airport WAY before flight time, just in case of unexpected long lines, so that should help in case of any "speed-bumps" with TSA. I'll have to check with the airlines I'll be flying with (I think United) about their policies.

Hmmm, another question - when arriving at my final destination, can I simply pick up the suitcase off the belt and leave?

Thanks for the responses, btw.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

They should have you open the case and show it's unloaded.
Keep the key on your person.

Final destination, grab the bag off the belt and good to go.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dcludwig wrote:
Daniel wrote:That's the exact one I use. They're pretty inexpensive, too.
Do you remember where you got it from? I agree with being able to use it in a hotel/motel room, too.
I got mine years ago from a former OFCC member. They are now available through Sportmans Guide.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Good buys on this and others here. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!