"Locked" in the glove box......?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Captain Bob wrote:Well, there are a lot of good possibilities with ways to have a locking case but if you already have a glove box with a lock that's the easiest one to use.
Yeah, but, see below....
However, if you have to fumble with a key (especially if it's on the keyring in the ignition) and try and lean over and get it into the glove box lock while the carjacker who blocked your car is trying to break your window you would waste valuable time.
Which is exactly what the folks at OSP had in mind for this particular poison pill. "Officer Safety" is the official excuse, but any Trooper who doesn't assume a traffic stop is armed isn't going to stay on the job too long.
I saw another post on a different subject that said, I believe, that a lock with a key in it was a "latch" but with the key out it's a "lock." Sounds like a court/lawyer/$$$ thing if it came down to it. Just wondering.
Sounds correct. I should have gone to law school :twisted: . My family wanted me to get into Patent Law, which, when I decided wasn't related to "Patent Leather", might have been a good idea, but a computer followed me home one day....

(I also got to be a rent-a-cop at about that time, which resulted in me spending way too much time reading the ORC, mostly to counter the Chief of Police's instructions to "try not to kill anybody and don't screw with Traffic", which, before OPOTA, was the gist of the training program.)

Our problem here is that something which is obviously a poison pill can sound reasonable enough in Court than an anti Judge or Jury won't notice that part. As absurd as the "locked" thing is, the law clearly says "locked", and there are all kinds of fun definitions that will get you nailed for "unlocked".

Note, though, that some very simple tests likely apply to what "locked" means. Leaving the key in the lock wouldn't apply, I'm sure, but the "one number off" combination proably would - the idea being that only the owner would even know that, and somebody else opening the lock prematurely would assume serious good luck.

Combination locks like your school locker or a wall safe normally need a "reset" procedure before you can re-open them, but the cheap three-number lock you'd find on an attache case generally doesn't.

(Which is a long-winded way of saying: "keep your trap shut" if that's your choice.)

When I was a very little guy, I bought a combination lock - probably for school - and proudly showed the super-complicated mechanical widget to my grandfather. He opened it in about thirty seconds. I'd let him ride along, but he passed away in 1960.... I have one of that same lock right now. It took me about 30 years, but I figured out how he did it. 8)

Probably the best test for us is to ask the kids or grandkids to open the thing. If they can't, you should be safe. (Remember that the "safety caps" on drugs are considered "locks" in some instances. Speaking of those, the former day job made some of them, and we used to give them to one of the VP's six-year-old kid. He was good....)

It's summer - buy a new VCR to keep the neighbor kids employed....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Gargoyle357

Post by Gargoyle357 »

medphys3 wrote:I think we all forgot that the law says (when transporting a loaded weapon) the locked container must be in plain sight. A locked box inside the glove box is not in plain sight and would most likely get you a ticket.

Also, the locked box must be fastened to the vehicle. Again, the glove box doesn't count.
I actually asked about mounting it in the glove box, not just tossing it in. Yes, using screws through the baseplate to "fasten" it to the vehicle.
generaljl wrote:Gargoyle,
You mentioned Silverado truck. Where is your 4x4 shifter? electric or manual. I have a Gmc Yukon and the safe fits on the tranny hump. Gander Mt. $56, 4button (5 digit combination), uses laptop lock to secure to vehicle. I have a Husky liner on the hump that I cut the middle out of. Makes safe look like part of vehicle, easy access at the touch of five buttons. Lid lifts on its own also. Can be closed with foot if needed.
Z71 Extended cab, automatic with the shifter on the column. Center console with locking lid.

I can't for the life of me figure out how my locking center console is not similiar to your safe? CR@P! Forgot to put the gloves in it, be right back!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

medphys3 wrote:I think we all forgot that the law says (when transporting a loaded weapon) the locked container must be in plain sight. A locked box inside the glove box is not in plain sight and would most likely get you a ticket.
If the glove box is locked, that's not an issue. If it's not, you may be correct, but I think the LEO would give it a pass for effort.
Also, the locked box must be fastened to the vehicle. Again, the glove box doesn't count.
It does? Not the worst thing you can do, I suppose, but "in plain sight" is the only rule for the steal-me box besides "locked".
gargoyle357 wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out how my locking center console is not similiar to your safe? CR@P! Forgot to put the gloves in it, be right back!
I don't see any difference. The only issue here may be the "hidden" console or glovebox, where it's not in plain sight. There may be a problem for LE there in the sense that the Officer might not know to look for/at/in it if he doesn't know it exists. A center console, a glove box in or under the dash, or a steal me on the seat would all pass muster as "in plain sight".

IMHO and IANAL....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

The deputy that taught the law section of my class shared that ANY locked case (pistol rug, any case with 2 zippers that lock together) etc. is acceptable. I have a dayplanner with a small combination lock. It's not as obtrusive lying on the seat if I have to enter a CPZ as a lock box would be (it doesn't scream "gun" like some vaults or gunrugs, and it's hard to see the lock if it's facing the seatback) and I can take the lock off if I want to carry it in somewhere (business meeting, etc) and I don't want to use my pocket holster. It's especially nice when I drive my wife's car with no locking storage. It's a small dayplanner, but will even fit my full size 1911.