Watercraft carry law

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

Watercraft carry law

Post by Willy P »

Does anyone on here have a good handle on the CCW law as it applies to watercraft. I am the owner of it and it would be on US waters ONLY no danger of heading into Canada as I'm not up to an Erie trip in a bass boat this year.
TIA,
Willy P
John Salyers

Post by John Salyers »

A watercraft is a vessel and the same restrictions as a motor vehicle do not apply.

http://www.ohioccw.org/modules.php?name ... hile...#95

See this thread also.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... light=boat
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

I have read all the posts and letters on this subject too and I understand that the same rules do not apply to a boat but I'd like to what IS the legal way to carry when I'm in my boat. Do they mean since it's a vessel there are no legal ways to carry? Or does it have to be concealed at all times, open carry, locked up, loaded unloaded Etc Etc. Etc.? All the info I've read states that a boat is a vessel but nothing I've seen gives a straight answer on what is the proper and lawful way to carry, The way the laws are now it's confusing enough to most. I know all the new laws by heart as I'm also an NRA Certified Instructor but this one subject and the answer to it keeps eluding me.Somebody Please can anyone answer this question once and for all???
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I'm with ya partner! I want to call the Div. of Waterdraft or go down to Griggs Res. in Columbus and see the water patrol guys but I have seen their interpretations of the watercraft laws I do understand the they have been "off" on a few. I do not want to deal with the Coasties till I decide to head to Erie at a later date. I'm reading through the URLs above here in a bit and I really think I will just call the D of W and hope for someone really "up" on what is what.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

If you find out anything Please let us know. I'm out on Erie every weekend that she'll let me on her, So far all I carry out there is a water pistol, until I can get a definitive answer............Thanks!
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

When I get an answer I am naming names and quoting it here. I would stop and see the Coasties if I were you and I wouldn't go on the lake with a south wind :wink: it could blow you into Canada. Honestly that wouldn't be a good thing at all. Watch out for Bessy and have a good one.
Ring

Post by Ring »

I understand that the same rules do not apply to a boat but I'd like to what IS the legal way to carry when I'm in my boat.
if you have a ccw, you can open or conceal cary on a boat.

both are legal
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Being on a boat is no different from being on the sidewalk.

Except that there is water all around you.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I just got off the phone with the Div of Watercraft. I know I promised to name names but with the amount of transfering I got I lost track. I did talk with an Officer in the Div but missed her name. I asked were the laws for carry on my bass boat the same as in my vehicle or different. " Sir the law is the same as in your car. " I have yet to talk with the marine patrol at Griggs in Columbus but I will sooner or later. I'd like to do it in person when I do . If different I will post it here.
Pat Comer

In addition I need to ask if the in plain sight carry applies to the combustion motor running only or it the electric trolling motor is included. As far as Federal and State Wildlife laws ( as they apply to waterfowling and licensing the craft, at least ) either motor is the same as the other.
Last edited by Willy P on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
arpjoe

Proves that person in Watercraft Divison ODNR knows nothing

Post by arpjoe »

about the Concealed Carry Law but would rather tell something that is completely wrong rather than admit they do not know. Read the law for yourself because they have not. I'm sure that same person does not know the motor vehicle CHL law requirements either.
JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343
arpjoe

P.S.

Post by arpjoe »

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and a conscientious stupidity. —MARTIN LUTHER KING

Perfect quote to be applied to the Watercraft Divsion person who responded that vessel restrictions were the same as motor vehicle restrictions.
JLA

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..

Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p. 343
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Joe, At this particular time in my life I do not have the money or time to be a test case, as may be the case or not with others on here. I do know that the Officer that I talked to or one that has the same personal interpretation of the law could be in a boat or on the bank checking me and I'm going to have a problem if I carry covered. I also most likely would get my permit pulled and in my present condition being armed is more important to me than being right, in the end. If your circumstances are better than mine at this point then have at it. Challenge them, as I'm sure it would be easy to find where they are and let them know you intend to carry covered and then do it. We all could use a good test case on this, I'm just not the guy wanting to be it , at this particular point in my life. Personally I'm interested right now in getting two opposing opinions from law enforcement and then going some direction from there. Maybe I can address it from inside the ODNR from the Wildlife end of things as I volunteer for them. Not to say I agree with the D of Wldlf end of carry laws. Several on here know I strongly oppose the bowhunting end of not being able to carry open or concealed while doing so basically due to experiences I have had with ferel dogs. I also am still interested in seeing what the Col. Police Water patrol on Griggs has to say and filter it all into this also. Nothing like getting Government entities argueing among themselves. Then you also have the Coasties if you intend to go to Erie. There is a lot of room here to just see the different interpretations before a person goes headlong into a fight. That is my personal take on it under my current conditions of health and monitary stability.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

The trouble with calling is that the officer can tell you whatever he thinks is correct, and you do it at your risk. What is told to you is not binding on either you or the officer.

Last year I corresponded via e-mail with a guy who said "We're checking with the AG's office." Well, that went on for QUITE a while and in the end my feeling is "baloney!" Of couse, even today, 1 1/2 years later, you can find nothing on their website.

I believe OFCC has it correct, a boat is not a vehicle - but a citation from an e-mail, unless it is from the head cheese, is not strong enough IMHO. Officers will treat you how they care to based on their understanding of the law.

I believe OFCC or one of us needs to get a letter from the AG, or the head of the Division of Water Safety (or whomever), directly or through our elected representatives. Maybe Petro would oblige us now that he has noted his participation in suits supporting the law, and support in general of the right of self defense.

BB62
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

BB62 I am in total agreement with what you wrote. I am at a loss however as to how to get something concrete that would stand up in court as a quick and somewhat easy end to a challenge by an officer from Watercraft, Coasties, Wildlife, etc.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Furthermore to my point, here is a e-mail I got from a person at ODNR.

Note the date. Use the address if you like and please post the results of your contact. My e-mail went through a couple of people before this gentleman responded:

7/6/2004
Todd.Doncyson@dnr.state.oh.us

Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your interest and question.
We have received conflicting information on this issue and are currently waiting for an official opinion from are legal staff who is working with the AG's office. We have been told that you cannot legally carry concealed on a boat but please keep checking our web page for updates on this subject.

Sincerely,

Officer Todd J. Doncyson
Law Enforcement Administrator
Ohio Department of Natural Resources
Division of Watercraft
Phone: 614-265-6655 Fax: 614-267-8883
todd.doncyson@dnr.state.oh.us
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft

BB62