Eligibility for CHL with misdemeanor past

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glockinfairfield

Eligibility for CHL with misdemeanor past

Post by glockinfairfield »

A coworker of mine has just recently taken his Ohio CHL class and is getting ready to turn in his app. He is concerned about a 15-year-ago misdemeanor for drugs. He had a marijuana pipe in his car. Will this impinge his application? Thanks in advance for answers.
Glocks and Nikons. Is this a great country or what!?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Eligibility for CHL with misdemeanor past

Post by Petrovich »

glockinfairfield wrote:A coworker of mine has just recently taken his Ohio CHL class and is getting ready to turn in his app. He is concerned about a 15-year-ago misdemeanor for drugs. He had a marijuana pipe in his car. Will this impinge his application? Thanks in advance for answers.
It probably will. We had a similar instance here in Muskingum County.

We had another instance where an individual had been convicted of breaking and entering as a very young person. He had been an exemplery citizen since. He was initially denied a license. I don't know if he appealed, nor the final outcome.
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

Drugs will deny you of a CHL. THE END no matter what and or when.

Will
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

williampelish wrote:Drugs will deny you of a CHL. THE END no matter what and or when.

Will
That's the impression I had. No time frame.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Tell him to get a lawyer and see if he can get his record expunged and sealed. I am not 100% sure if this would OK him for a CHL since this was adrug charge, but he could check it out. I doubt most people would do this, unless he really wants to have a CHL and carry alot, most people would not want to pay the money and take the time to do this just to carry a half dozen times a year.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian_Horton wrote:Tell him to get a lawyer and see if he can get his record expunged and sealed. I am not 100% sure if this would OK him for a CHL since this was adrug charge, but he could check it out.
Unfortunately, I am not at all sure that even having a drug charge expunged would help qualify someone for a CHL. Sheriffs are authorized to examine expunged records, too, under the law.
Brian_Horton wrote:I doubt most people would do this, unless he really wants to have a CHL and carry alot, most people would not want to pay the money and take the time to do this just to carry a half dozen times a year.
It is not all that hard to get a record expunged. I would guess well less than a thousand dollars and maybe one court appearance. Perhaps someone currently practising in Ohio would know the dollar figure better.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Brian_Horton wrote:Tell him to get a lawyer and see if he can get his record expunged and sealed. I am not 100% sure if this would OK him for a CHL since this was adrug charge, but he could check it out.
Unfortunately, I am not at all sure that even having a drug charge expunged would help qualify someone for a CHL. Sheriffs are authorized to examine expunged records, too, under the law..
That precedent has already been set in my county. The application was denied.