DMV and Constitutional Carry

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ummmreally

DMV and Constitutional Carry

Post by ummmreally »

Ok, so I went to the DMV, I was carrying, and I see the stupid sign outside that says you cannot have a firearm on the premises, so I had to go lock the firearm in the car. Does not constitutional carry override these laws. "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." To me this sign, and any laws behind it do infringe. Especially after what happened in Buffalo, and Uvale. I believe that for my own safety and the safety of those around me, I will not leave the house unless I'm armed. I think in the case of a DMV, what is to stop a criminal who illegally obtained a rifle from coming into the DMV and start shooting the place up. These signs are not going to stop them. So why should law-abiding citizens have to deal with this. None of the restrictive laws they put in place have done anything to stop any violent criminals.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: DMV and Constitutional Carry

Post by evan price »

ORC 2923.126 G.3.b specifically speaks of Deputy Registrars. Most BMVs are contractors and private businesses on top of that and may post.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ummmreally wrote:Ok, so I went to the DMV, I was carrying, and I see the stupid sign outside that says you cannot have a firearm on the premises, so I had to go lock the firearm in the car. Does not constitutional carry override these laws.
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: No, because what Ohio now has, and most other states have, is not "constitutional carry" even though that's what people call it. What we have is "unlicensed carry", a law that allows us to carry without a license if we meet certain requirements. So, the law still prohibits carry in the same places now as it did before the new unlicensed carry law took effect.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I fought this over a decade ago.
The DMV changed their deputy registrar contract to include a requirement that firearms are allowed on their premises.
I asked the person that informed me of that, "Who made that decision and requirement?"
He said, "I did."
It took 3 years for all deputy registrars to be under the new contract.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:The DMV changed their deputy registrar contract to include a requirement that firearms are allowed on their premises.
So, is that a typo, and did you mean "...that firearms are *not* allowed on their premises"?

I ask because it doesn't make sense to me as written, since all deputy registrars are statutory no-carry zones under Ohio law.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!