Skills up to weak hand ccw?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3 gun

Skills up to weak hand ccw?

Post by 3 gun »

I find myself having to wear a brace on my strong hand for awhile so I just switched over to weak side carry. From reactions this is a very odd thing to do. I never even gave it a second thought. How about you? Are your skills n drills sharp enough that you could switch sides for 4-6 weeks or would you not carry?
An unloaded pistol is a paperweight. Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Change you can believe in..Pre-65 US silver coins
NRA Certified RSO and Instructor in rifle, pistol and shotgun.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Skills up to weak hand ccw?

Post by TSiWRX »

My personal take is that for those more invested in concealed-carry and/or armed self-defense, skills with the non-dominant hand do need to be trained and practiced.

In-fight injury is one thing, but jut the chances of us being injured through daily activities should spur those who already say that training is necessary to look more seriously at this aspect of their own skillset.

Gear is another issue as well.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Not much I can add to what TSiWRX stated. Except that shopping for a left hand holster is easier to accomplish BEFORE you suddenly need one.

Also, that way you can practice with it sooner. Hopefully, all of us have a space at home that can be utilized for draws, dry fire, etc. To be completely safe, don't keep any ammo there.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Excellent points.

To come back to this one - for those who want to look more deeply into non-dominant-hand techniques:

Andrew Blubaugh of Apex Shooting and Tactics usually runs a yearly pistol class that focuses on injured shooter techniques. In past years, it was listed as "Immediate Action Pistol" and was co-hosted by the BFA, taking place at the Rittman Police Training Range (it seems that I have only mentioned this class in-passing, here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87857&p=4357973&hi ... h#p4357973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Chris Costa's Costa Ludus places heavy focus on such skills as a part of his second-level ("xET2") classes. I rolled through the full 6-day series of his handgun classes in the summer of 2012, and here's an awesome write-up of the second-tier class on military.com - https://www.military.com/kitup/2012/12/ ... ostas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and https://www.military.com/kitup/2012/12/ ... tas-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Costa's classes in NE-Ohio have been hosted at the Southing Hunt Club, in Garrettsville.

Centrifuge Training, with Chase Jenkins as chief instructor, has classes out of the awesome Alliance Police Training Facility in Alliance, Ohio. His curriculum includes two injured-shooter focused classes - "Injured Shooter, Handgun" and "Well, That Sucks..." I have not yet had a chance to take any of his classes, but training friends speak highly of him, and I hope for the opportunity in the not-too-far future. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

3 gun wrote:I find myself having to wear a brace on my strong hand for awhile so I just switched over to weak side carry. From reactions this is a very odd thing to do. I never even gave it a second thought. How about you? Are your skills n drills sharp enough that you could switch sides for 4-6 weeks or would you not carry?
While I think that people should try to be skilled with either hand, if case something happens, (like an injury during a firefight) I would NEVER just "not carry" simply because I couldn't shoot as well as I would like with my non dominant hand at that particular moment. What if I lost the use of one hand entirely, either temporarily or permanently, from a medical condition not related to a gunfight, am I going to stop carrying? Hell no, not an option for me. Some might say that if someone has an obvious physical limitation, (like a brace) that might be even MORE of an incentive to carry, because some criminals prey on the disabled. What I WOULD do if I hadn't already practiced using either hand and temporarily lost the use of my dominant hand is correct the situation and try to become skilled with the use of my non dominant hand also. Perhaps take some training with a qualified instructor if needed.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
3 gun wrote:I find myself having to wear a brace on my strong hand for awhile so I just switched over to weak side carry. From reactions this is a very odd thing to do. I never even gave it a second thought. How about you? Are your skills n drills sharp enough that you could switch sides for 4-6 weeks or would you not carry?
While I think that people should try to be skilled with either hand, if case something happens, (like an injury during a firefight) I would NEVER just "not carry" simply because I couldn't shoot as well as I would like with my non dominant hand at that particular moment. What if I lost the use of one hand entirely, either temporarily or permanently, from a medical condition not related to a gunfight, am I going to stop carrying? Hell no, not an option for me. Some might say that if someone has an obvious physical limitation, (like a brace) that might be even MORE of an incentive to carry, because some criminals prey on the disabled. What I WOULD do if I hadn't already practiced using either hand and temporarily lost the use of my dominant hand is correct the situation and try to become skilled with the use of my non dominant hand also. Perhaps take some training with a qualified instructor if needed.
When I had my rotator cuff surgery several years ago and had my right arm in a sling, I found it quite nice to mount a holster inside the sling so I could reach the pistol easily with my left hand. Whenever I go to the range, I have always made sure that I practiced with both hands in case something happened to my right side and it helps if you behind cover that requires you to shoot from the left side of the cover.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

I often carry on my weak side (left) because I carry a large fixed blade on my belt right side, along with two others elsewhere.

I figure in a crowded situation such as a store it would come into play very quick and less chance of hitting bystanders.

If a struggle was up close and a firearm was needed I could just easily him my target left handed as I could right handed in that type of situation. In the event there was space between myself and the BG, such as the video I saw of a man chasing people with a large knife or a shootout situation switching to my right hand is pretty easy.

For me it's better than off body carry and granted not as quick on the draw as on my right side, I find it to be a good option for me but it's a personal thing and not for everybody.

The most important thing is stay armed and stay aware.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I practice shooting weak hand (left) but probably not nearly enough. I feel confident I can hit at close range with my weak hand though. 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Timely reminder, since I'm going to the indoor range today.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
wls

Post by wls »

It’s not just the ability to shoot weak hand, but also do mag changes and clearing malfunctions. Basically to do it properly you should be able to perform all the necessary functions strong hand and weak hand. A few years ago out of necessity I converted from left (strong) hand to right weak hand and was able to do everything equally well with both hands.

During an informal competition, IDPA style, we were to shoot the same state twice, once strong hand and then weak hand. Surprisingly most of the better shooters struggled weak hand, but because of my practice with both hands my times were almost identical, actually my weak hand time was a little faster. It’s one of the few times I placed well. Good skill to have.