Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

Postby CCIman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 am

What was the counter process, and experience? I am flying to Denver next month, via United, want to know what to expect. Thanks.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
CCIman

Re: Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

Postby JEaton » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:17 am

I went Delta last fall and my son flew American just yesterday.

Has always been standard procedure at CVG airport.
Tell them you have a firearm to declare when checking back
Sign the form
Some will ask to see gun/ammo most don't
Lock the gun case
Place inside your suitcase with declaration form
Finish check in.
Sometimes they have asked me to hang out at counter area before going through TSA screening to make sure the baggage screeners don't ask to open the case.

NOTE: Flying out of PHX with is gun has always been a terrible experience though.

JLE
JEaton

Postby M-Quigley » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:06 am

Mine was Dec of '19, got a cheap Florida vacation just before the 2020 nonsense happened. With Alligent it was the same as above, my ammo was in a separate container in my checked luggage. Although I didn't have to do it, I had the slide locked back in the locked container. They did ask me to wait about 10 minutes just in case I was needed, which I wasn't.
M-Quigley

Postby CCIman » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks for the response. It's been a few years since I've done it, and I wanted to refresh. I'm always confused by the TSA language. Can the hard case that the gun is in be itself contained in a soft luggage. Does that outer luggage need to be locked or lockable?
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
CCIman

Postby docachna » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:52 am

Always a good idea to carry a copy of the airline's Weapons Transport policy, with the pertinent language highlighted. I've found many ticket clerks are not what you would call intimately familiar with the procedures for checking weapons, and I've had a couple who clearly tried to insert their anti-gun bias into their workplace. Providing them with a copy of their employer's written policy usually stops that in a hurry.

Usually, however, if you simply get very familiar with the airline's policy, and then follow it to the letter, you're good to go.

EDIT: Certainly always a good idea to TSA-lock your suitcase, with the locked gun case inside.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna

Postby JustaShooter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:23 pm

CCIman wrote:I'm always confused by the TSA language. Can the hard case that the gun is in be itself contained in a soft luggage. Does that outer luggage need to be locked or lockable?

Yes, the hard case can be inside of a larger soft case - and, unless the hard gun case is rifle sized, I recommend it. I prefer to use a case that accepts a cable so I can secure the gun case to the frame of the outer suitcase with the cable so they don't get separated, if you know what I mean.

And yes, the outer case should be TSA locked.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion