Transporting Pistols and Rifles

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Obese_Olaf

Transporting Pistols and Rifles

Post by Obese_Olaf »

Hello.

I tried looking up the FAQ section under...

https://ohioccw.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but I don't think it works.

I'm still reading up on local laws, prior to applying of the Concealed Handgun Permit.

If I understand things correctly, the permit is as it says - a HANDGUN permit only. Which means transporting rifles in vehicles necessitates the various rules regarding actions being kept open / broken down, ammunition in separate compartments (?), and / or a general state of inaccessibility as far being "ready to fire" is concerned.

That being said (unless erroneous) - how to Pistol ARs figure?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Transporting Pistols and Rifles

Post by JustaShooter »

Correct, in Ohio a license only covers handguns, so long guns must be transported unloaded, and in one of the following ways from ORC 2923.16 (C):
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-cod ... on-2923.16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind that (4) would not apply to most AR carbines since they generally have barrels shorter than 18".

As far as the definition of unloaded goes, that's covered in ORC 2923.16 (K)
(5)(a) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question, and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

(c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.
Finally, an AR pistol that meets the Federal criteria would also meet the criteria under Ohio law. The only cautions I would offer there are that first, not all LEOs may know this, and second, I would be wary of even having an angled foregrip on an AR pistol in Ohio even though Federal law allows it - it seems to me that could cross the line since Ohio defines a handgun as "Any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand;" and a foregrip seems to me to allow the interpretation that it is designed for two hands.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

ANOTHER thorough clear & concise answer^^ from a OFCC veteran

THNX :) !!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Obese_Olaf

Post by Obese_Olaf »

Thanks for the info!

I'm beginning to understand the appeal of these "pistols," disingenuous as they may be...