Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away

Ohio's best kept used firearms and accessories market secret. Shop or list your items for sale here. Discussions on this forum should be limited to the negotiation of a sale or trade - New listings will soon be limited to OFCC Members - join OFCC here for unlimited listings!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
By using the For Sale Forum you agree to the rules as outlined in this post. Continued use of the For Sale forum, conducting transactions, or posting here indicates acceptance of these rules which may change without notice.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away

Post by jgarvas »

These are the posts nobody wants to make.

Earlier today Tom McNaughton's son Jim contacted me and informed me that Tom had passed away. Many of you know that Tom has been a long-term moderator of the discussion forums and for some time a Coordinator with Ohioans For Concealed Carry. He has been a member of the forums since July of 2005 (just a year after we started running the forums).

He had posted here as recently as last Tuesday. (You can search his posts here: http://ohioccwforums.org/search.php?aut ... 9&sr=posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Everyone we've given the keys to moderate tends to operate to a certain extent within their own personal beliefs of what is "proper" discourse. In my mind Tom was the moderator who went out of his way to correct cursing and abusive language to a point that I would frequently chuckle at things I would have let go, but there they were modified with Tom's signature as the moderator who did it. I asked Jim if the family objected to me sharing arrangement information publicly and he said absolutely not. Tom's involvement with OFCC and an appreciation of firearms was something he was proud of and clearly something that he passed on to his children.

In the process of making arrangements in a moment of confusion (caused by the funeral home I believe) the family was under the impression the funeral home was posted and nearly started over. That misunderstanding was quickly resolved and a disaster averted. Who here can say their kids won't patronize a posted funeral home because they know so many of those coming may very well be armed?

Here he is at the OFCC Picnic when then Governor Strickland was our keynote speaker:

His obituary can be found here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/toledo ... fhid=11086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

H.H. Birkenkamp Funeral Home
3219 Tremainsville Road,
Toledo, OH 43613

Friday Visitation 4-8, Service 8-9

In lieu of flowers, the family asks all donations go to Tom's niece, Katy Hayes
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
curmudgeon3

Re: Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away

Post by curmudgeon3 »

R.I.P. TR. Prayers on the way.
usmale

Post by usmale »

Tom was the first guy I meet on the forum, RIP old friend
- OFCC member -
-NRA Life Member-
Hamilton County Sheriff's dept Academy class of 1982

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.-Jeff Cooper
mreising

Post by mreising »

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

My favorite TunnelRat story...
Like many - if not most - combat vet’s Tom never went into a lot of detail about his time in-country. Nonetheless, he did allow as all of his time was spent far, far to the north of that little divided republic. At one point he and his platoon were getting what for them was practically R&R at an FOB. Some REMF ran into the young Captain and commented that was the furthest forward he’d been. Tom (and I can almost hear his booming voice) replied, “Really sir? This is furthest to the rear I’ve been…”
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

He was perhaps the most gentlemanly gentleman I have ever met. He will be missed.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Man, he was a heck of a guy. He will be missed. Prayers for him and his.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

My favorite memory is somebody here on the forum said/did something and in my active days I made a wise guy remark of some sort, in the moderator section of the forum he said something to the extent of: How in the Sam "Hello Kitty" am I supposed to moderate what somebody else said when YOU said this!!??

Yep - he even yelled at us moderators!!

Rest peacefully soldier!!
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Very sad news! :cry:

Tom and I had an exchange years ago over some spanish I had used that he had to moderate, he was a true gentleman and funny as well.
Years later I met him at the Party In The Park as well as shooting with him at one of the OFCC shoots, he was a great guy and I will miss him.

Rest In Peace Tunnel Rat.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Thanks for all Tom.. Prayers to the family.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Sneakypete
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Sneakypete »

R I P Tom, a VN brother in arms.

My condolences to the family.
Duty, Honor, Country.
These three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.
-Gen Douglas MacArthur

You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Another TunnelRat story...

Four years ago at the Rochester Fun 'n' Gun he bought a Glock G20 off me. In anticipation of said deal, he'd brought a lot of 10mm "range stuff" along with a few boxes of DoubleTap. Now those that have shot at Rochester know the stages are pretty much right next to each other (no ¼-mile trek between 'em like at TDI) and Tom happened to be on the squad adjacent to mine.

So there we were later in the day, hearing "Bang. Bangbang. Bang." Some "Powpowpow. Pow." Even the occasional "Pewpewpew." I guess Tom ran out of the "range stuff," 'cause suddenly from the stage next to us we hear, "BOOM! BOOMBOOM!! BOOM!" The whole range went quiet for a few seconds...

May you now have rest Tom, from the faces you once told me you saw every night.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I am going to miss the way he chimed in so avidly on 'For Sale' threads when they caught his interest. Perhaps this shows I'm on here too often, but it was rather easy for me many times to predict that Tom was going to popping into certain threads of that nature, and this fact amused me. For example if say a 1911 or good holster was for sale, the fact he was a southpaw would often become evident quickly: "Does that gun have an ambidextrous thumb safety?" or "Would that holster happen to be left handed?"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

This is very sad to hear. One of the few people I had the pleasure to meet off of these forums, I believe at the Northwood open carry walk many years ago. A fine individual indeed.

Rest in peace, Mr. McNaughton. Thank you for your service abroad and here at home.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.
Rand Paul 2016
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

R.I.P. Tom. Never saw a harsh word from him and him as always FAIR in his comments. As a fellow Viet Vet I was always curious to ask about his time in country, but as someone mentioned, vets are rare to do that. It's always sad to see good people leave this earth, but as many of us believe, we shall meet again, someday.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;