Private party sales, what's the best way to conduct it.

Ohio's best kept used firearms and accessories market secret. Shop or list your items for sale here. Discussions on this forum should be limited to the negotiation of a sale or trade - New listings will soon be limited to OFCC Members - join OFCC here for unlimited listings!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
By using the For Sale Forum you agree to the rules as outlined in this post. Continued use of the For Sale forum, conducting transactions, or posting here indicates acceptance of these rules which may change without notice.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Private party sales, what's the best way to conduct it.

Post by charben »

dclaarjr wrote:If I sell a gun, if I know the person, say it is Charben, I don't worry about ID. If I do not know the person, I look at the persons CHL. I do not need any information other than that. If the gun is later used in a crime and LE comes calling, all I will say is I sold it, do not know the persons name, and I did see there CHL, so I knew they were legal to own a gun. IMO my back side is covered at this point.
You have a gun you want to sell me that I don't know about? ;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

I don't think I'd make a sale on a CHL alone. It's nice to see, as it proves that the purchaser passed a background check when he applied for the license. But, a CHL doesn't prove residency. Leagally, Ohio residency is what matters.

I don't know for sure, but I assume it's possible for out of state folks to get an Ohio CHL.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
That Crazy Hungarian

Post by That Crazy Hungarian »

ArcherAce wrote:As long as the gun isn't C&R and has to be entered in my bound book, I ask the questions that BobK has posted.
OK. Total newbee showing again. what is C&R? What's a bound book?
when talking about a licensee, are you refering to a CHL or a license to buy and sell firearms?
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

ArcherAce wrote:I don't know for sure, but I assume it's possible for out of state folks to get an Ohio CHL.
It's not possible to obtain a non-resident OLTCACH, but it is possible to retain your license when you move from the state (if the Sheriff follows the law).
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
hkuspclem40

Post by hkuspclem40 »

One of the things I ask now when making arrangements for a FTF transaction is...."What kind of info do you require of me when we meet?". There have been two purchases I've made where I've felt like I've been "put on the spot". I could have walked away from either one, but that is not my nature. I was co-operative but would have rather NOT provided names, addresses, signatures, receipts, etc.. I think it would have been only fair for the seller to give a heads up BEFORE we met, and that's why I make sure I ask now. Ironically, everybody I've asked since, hasn't been overly concerned and at most has asked to quickly glance at my CHL.

**The two sellers who required info from me, also provided me with their info.
NRA Life Member
corrsk

Post by corrsk »

i only deal with board members so there is a way to get in touch with them. For example if i want to buy something back. and i always keep a record of every gun i have owned and the serial number that is for 2 reasons. one is if it is stolen from me i have that info to give to law enforcement. second is if it is stolen from someone i sell to just incase they need that info for law enforcement. other than that i just ask to see CHL since it is as diligent as i can be and still sleep soundly knowing i did my part to follow the rules.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
PM for class info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patriots- ... 1429217356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;