Private party sales, what's the best way to conduct it.

Ohio's best kept used firearms and accessories market secret. Shop or list your items for sale here. Discussions on this forum should be limited to the negotiation of a sale or trade - New listings will soon be limited to OFCC Members - join OFCC here for unlimited listings!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
By using the For Sale Forum you agree to the rules as outlined in this post. Continued use of the For Sale forum, conducting transactions, or posting here indicates acceptance of these rules which may change without notice.
Sigma40

Re: Private party sales, what's the best way to conduct it.

Post by Sigma40 »

I do not need anymore receipts than I currently have. If he looks like Marilyn Manson I won't sell or buy from him.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-Samuel Adams
Tyler_Ladd

Post by Tyler_Ladd »

*Hand shake*

Buyer: Hi, I'm Tyler
Seller: Hi, I'm Bob
Buyer: Here's your money, you live in Ohio right?
Seller: Yup, here's the gun, you live here too?
Buyer: Yup. Everything work like it's supposed to?
Seller: Yup.
Buyer: Cool, see ya later.

*Hand shake*
“In the beginning of change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Tyler_Ladd wrote:*Hand shake*

Buyer: Hi, I'm Tyler
Seller: Hi, I'm Bob
Buyer: Here's your money, you live in Ohio right?
Seller: Yup, here's the gun, you live here too?
Buyer: Yup. Everything work like it's supposed to?
Seller: Yup.
Buyer: Cool, see ya later.

*Hand shake*
Piece of cake...as it should be. :D
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Somewhere in there you should be looking at each others DLs just to be sure they are residents of Ohio.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

So what happens if the gun you sold is used in a crime, and the police recover the weapon. They're going to trace the serial number to the gun shop that sold it, and look up the 4473 with your name on it, right*? I would certainly want to have a bill of sale with the purchaser's name in that scenario.

*Assuming you purchased the firearm from a gun shop, that is.
DisgruntledCitizen
Account Deactivated

Post by DisgruntledCitizen »

P-chan wrote:So what happens if the gun you sold is used in a crime, and the police recover the weapon. They're going to trace the serial number to the gun shop that sold it, and look up the 4473 with your name on it, right*? I would certainly want to have a bill of sale with the purchaser's name in that scenario.

If the gun turns up in a shooting somewhere in Manitoba, Veracruz, or Nevada, I imagine I'll have ample alibi to show that I wasn't at the scene or anywhere near the scene.

"I sold the gun to somebody, I don't remember who, a while ago, I don't remember how long ago, and obviously I lost control over what happened with it when I sold it to them..."

If I sell a gun at a local gun show and then 24 months later it winds up at a crime scene in Vancouver, Regina, Reno, Los Angeles, or Tijuana, I really don't care. It's not my fault, it's not my problem, and I'm not responsible for it.

If I sold a car to somebody, they sell it to somebody, they sell it to somebody, and it changes hands a half-dozen times, and ultimately is used to run somebody over in a fit of rage, am I expected to shoulder any of the blame?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry
McM

Post by McM »

So, how did the sale go?
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
BobK

Post by BobK »

P-chan wrote:So what happens if the gun you sold is used in a crime, . . . I would certainly want to have a bill of sale . . .
This is one of those cases where the seller's have an understandable interest in documenting the sale and buyer's have an understandable privacy interest in not documenting the sale.

In free markets, we have room for negotiation. Depends on how bad the seller wants to move the goods, how badly the buyer is lusting after the goods, or any other countless factors.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

DisgruntledCitizen wrote:
P-chan wrote:So what happens if the gun you sold is used in a crime, and the police recover the weapon. They're going to trace the serial number to the gun shop that sold it, and look up the 4473 with your name on it, right*? I would certainly want to have a bill of sale with the purchaser's name in that scenario.

If the gun turns up in a shooting somewhere in Manitoba, Veracruz, or Nevada, I imagine I'll have ample alibi to show that I wasn't at the scene or anywhere near the scene.

"I sold the gun to somebody, I don't remember who, a while ago, I don't remember how long ago, and obviously I lost control over what happened with it when I sold it to them..."

If I sell a gun at a local gun show and then 24 months later it winds up at a crime scene in Vancouver, Regina, Reno, Los Angeles, or Tijuana, I really don't care. It's not my fault, it's not my problem, and I'm not responsible for it.

If I sold a car to somebody, they sell it to somebody, they sell it to somebody, and it changes hands a half-dozen times, and ultimately is used to run somebody over in a fit of rage, am I expected to shoulder any of the blame?

Whoa, nobody's saying the seller in this scenario would be at fault, or shouldering any of the blame - but regardless of that, you WOULD have the authorities knocking on your door, expecting you to be armed and possibly dangerous. Wouldn't it be nice to give them another name to track down, instead of telling them "I sold it, a while ago, to somebody...." and possibly having to be put into custody and answer a bunch of questions?
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

P-chan: I don't have your concerns nor am I willing to guide the police to someone else. You are welcome to do whatever makes you comfortable, though. Just don't be surprised if someone refuses to do business with you. They might have different concerns.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
DisgruntledCitizen
Account Deactivated

P-chan wrote:
DisgruntledCitizen wrote:

Whoa, nobody's saying the seller in this scenario would be at fault, or shouldering any of the blame - but regardless of that, you WOULD have the authorities knocking on your door, expecting you to be armed and possibly dangerous. Wouldn't it be nice to give them another name to track down, instead of telling them "I sold it, a while ago, to somebody...." and possibly having to be put into custody and answer a bunch of questions?

I'm not going anywhere unless I am being arrested and charged or if they have a warrant for my arrest. I don't have to answer any questions.

Five words- "I have nothing to say."

If they ask, I might answer. If they tell me I have to answer, I'll tell them what they can do with themselves.

I've figured out, after all these years, dealing with law enforcement typically never results in anything positive. It's best to just tell them to buzz off before you give them enough rope with which they can hang you. Maybe it turns out that the guy at the flea market had a restraining order against him, or 20 years ago in Texas he had a felony on his record (how could you ever possibly know of either situation?) and thus it is best not to say a word to law enforcement.

They have the power, but not the right, to put me in custody and demand I answer questions, and I am not obligated to answer any questions. It would look really bad in a US District Court when it comes out during a civil rights violation trial that police held somebody for 3-4 days because they didn't remember who they sold a gun to, or they didn't want to talk about it, and they were held without being charged.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

So just how often is a gun found at the scene of a crime without the bad guy being there as well?
Poop!
DisgruntledCitizen
Account Deactivated

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:So just how often is a gun found at the scene of a crime without the bad guy being there as well?

Probably not very often, eh?

P-chan

Post by P-chan »

charben wrote:P-chan: I don't have your concerns nor am I willing to guide the police to someone else. You are welcome to do whatever makes you comfortable, though. Just don't be surprised if someone refuses to do business with you. They might have different concerns.

Hey, I'm with you, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I've already purchased a couple firearms at gun shows from private sellers where it was a glance at the Ohio DL, and that was it. I was just genuinely curious what people thought about the "paper trail".... Good answers so far :)
dclaarjr

Post by dclaarjr »

If I sell a gun, if I know the person, say it is Charben, I don't worry about ID. If I do not know the person, I look at the persons CHL. I do not need any information other than that. If the gun is later used in a crime and LE comes calling, all I will say is I sold it, do not know the persons name, and I did see there CHL, so I knew they were legal to own a gun. IMO my back side is covered at this point.
NRA Certified Instructor for Basic Handgun and Personal Protection.
OFCC Member
4 County Conservation Club Member
US Army Veteran