Death of a Gun Club.

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Death of a Gun Club.

Post by djthomas »

Javelin Man wrote:Would any of this potentially make the gun club liable for cleaning the toxic soil? Are they just setting themselves up for paying for an EPA disaster?
The landlord is ultimately responsible for his land. That's the beauty of a lease - absent contractual obligations to the contrary once the lease ends the former lessee is a stranger in the eyes of the law. In any event it sounds like this particular gun club will soon cease to legally exist.

Stepping back to think aloud more generally...
This whole thread has been about why a gun club not owning its premises is bad, bad, bad. On the other hand, the ability to walk away in the event of something like the property being hit by hostile political actors, being declared a nuisance or receiving an EPA demand letter is a plus.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Yep that’s why the Dover Gun Club overlooking Lake Erie in Bay Village closed. Lead in the lake and land.
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

Club put a bid in on property in Congress. Just south of RT 83 on 71. It was excepted so it sounds like the ball is rolling on a relocation.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

This makes me thankful to have my own range on land I own.

I hope you guys find a way to get your club back up and running.
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

rDigital wrote:This makes me thankful to have my own range on land I own.

I hope you guys find a way to get your club back up and running.
It's more than just having a place to shoot, its hanging out with friends at our shooting events throughout the summer.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Glad to hear your club is moving forward.

Both clubs I belong to have "Land Fund" accounts they continue to grow, through various methods like an assessment on the members, joining fee to the club, etc. That money is not to be used for anything other than purchasing land that is around the gun club property so we can continue to expand, and build a buffer between the club and it's neighbors so we don't end up getting pushed out by any new developments.

Wasn't real happy with the details of the land contract the one club made with a neighbor to get their land, but it sure worked out good for that neighbor. they can now stay there rent free, on land we own, in the house we paid for, till they pass away. They will probably both live to be 102.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Latest developments, as of October 2019:

In May ( or June), a email survey was sent out to West Branch Rifle & Pistol club (WBRPC) members.
There were 2 possible locations for land purchase: Vermillion or West Salem.

The membership was asked to pick 1 of 3 choices:

1) Vermillion
2)West Salem
3)Neither location. Keep looking.

The majority of the membership voted for choice #1 : Vermillion.

Ok then...

The board purchases 80 acres of land in...West Salem! I'm told this land is not zoned for use as a gun range at this time. All it will take is a noise or safety complaint from ONE neighbor to shut down any shooting.
Board members who disagreed had there "voting rights" removed. Most (if not all) of those folks resigned from the WBRPC board.
Here is a link to the "new" West Branch Rifle & Pistol club website: https://wbrpc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As if this was not a bad enough decision, there is a well established Gun Club 4 miles down the road : Ashland Lake Gun Club (ALGC). http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If WBRPC survives, which I think is doubtful, it would take them 30 years to get to the level that Ashland Lake Gun Club is today. I know this first hand, as I became a member of ALGC earlier this year. ALGC will now get my "2nd Amendment" dollars, and my work party time.

The board of directors of WBRPC has once again failed the membership. I will let my nearly 20 year membership in that club expire in February, 2020.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Cui bono?

Did the board members that over rode the members explain their position?

Cui bono?
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Not so far.

(Who benefits?)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JU-87 wrote:Latest developments, as of October 2019:

In May ( or June), a email survey was sent out to West Branch Rifle & Pistol club (WBRPC) members.
There were 2 possible locations for land purchase: Vermillion or West Salem.

The membership was asked to pick 1 of 3 choices:

1) Vermillion
2)West Salem
3)Neither location. Keep looking.

The majority of the membership voted for choice #1 : Vermillion.

Ok then...

The board purchases 80 acres of land in...West Salem! I'm told this land is not zoned for use as a gun range at this time. All it will take is a noise or safety complaint from ONE neighbor to shut down any shooting.
Board members who disagreed had there "voting rights" removed. Most (if not all) of those folks resigned from the WBRPC board.
Here is a link to the "new" West Branch Rifle & Pistol club website: https://wbrpc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As if this was not a bad enough decision, there is a well established Gun Club 4 miles down the road : Ashland Lake Gun Club (ALGC). http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If WBRPC survives, which I think is doubtful, it would take them 30 years to get to the level that Ashland Lake Gun Club is today. I know this first hand, as I became a member of ALGC earlier this year. ALGC will now get my "2nd Amendment" dollars, and my work party time.

The board of directors of WBRPC has once again failed the membership. I will let my nearly 20 year membership in that club expire in February, 2020.
Glad i did not renew my membership last year,... what a bunch of bone head's running that club. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

Anyone here a member of Ashland Lake Gun Club? Seems to be the next Gun Club death. Was once recently a top notch Club until a few misguided individuals were elected on the board. Sad situation if you knew the Club even 5 years ago