Invitation To Shoot Long Range Rifle September 17 2018 NE OH

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Invitation To Shoot Long Range Rifle September 17 2018 NE OH

Post by Mr. Glock »

A couple of years ago, ShooterWolf finally convinced me to try long-range rifle shooting and spent the day with me shooting out to 1,000 yards. I'm not nearly as skilled as ShooterWolf, but I have been enjoying working on my long range rifle skills at Southington Hunt Club's open range days at the 700 yard range. And, in a way to pay it forward, I wanted to invite any local OFCCer who is interested in trying long range shooting (or an experienced shooter too) to their Monday, September 17, 2018 open range day 4:30pm-dark. Southington Hunt Club is between Garrettsville and Southington.

Here is what you need:
Sign the Online Waiver (on their website) before attending
Eye Protection and Ear Protection
A rifle and ammo (40-80 rounds)
A scope that you can dial elevation (i.e. tactical or long range turrets)
A ballistics program on your smartphone (Trasol and Strelok Pro seem popular, although there are others)
$20 range fee

Here's what I recommend:
A shooting mat (which can be anything really)
A bipod or front "sandbag" (you can use a shooting bag etc too)

Here is what is not allowed (range rules)
No iron sights
No red dot or 1x scopes or fixed elevation scopes (i.e. no way to dial up/down)

Ballistics apps need the speed of the bullet from your individual gun to be fully valid, so there will be a chronograph on site if you don't know that figure. The guy who runs the open range is a national PRS shooter (Matt Stiner), so there will be folks at the range who can help you out with any questions.

I will be there. If you want to attend, please PM me and let me know (100%, 75%, 50%) attendance and real name. I am doing this in an unofficial capacity just to know who I might meet at the range.

As a side note, Southington also has a pistol/carbine practice session at that same time on a different part of the property. Sort of like 3 gun practice at sub-100 yard distances. I've not worked with those fellows, but met them and wanted to add it here in case anyone is interested.

This is not in any way an official OFCC event nor an official Mr. Glock event. I am just a participant too. I did clear this invite with the staff at Southington, so it is official on their side and all legalities/range rules/waivers reside on their side. I am not getting any portion of the range fee or other considerations. I do not have any position of authority on their property and any answers I may provide to questions are not binding to them. My only interest is meeting other OFCCers at an event I enjoy attending and letting folks know about the range so they can build their business. Basically, I am just passing along an opportunity to shoot and will be there too on that particular day.

Here are the details:
http://southingtonhuntclub.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have questions, go to the Contact Us tab on the website and you will see a notation for long range rifle questions (not the contact form). That is Matt Stiner's email address, let him know you are an OFCCer attending the 9-17 event and ask your questions.

If you want to come to just watch & learn what this about, please contact Matt Stiner directly with that request.

Directions: The entrance is on the north side of the road. Drive in and take the first left to the small tan shed (not the building in the front).

Shooting to 700 yards is cool.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Invitation To Shoot Long Range Rifle September 17 2018 N

Post by Mr. Glock »

Forgot these things:

Steel plate targets run from 200 to 700 yards
No penetrator, steel core or AP ammo (so M855 is not allowed)
Bolts always open on guns unless shooting
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

What's the minimum caliber recommended?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

rimfireOH wrote:What's the minimum caliber recommended?
There isn’t really a hard and fast rule other than you want a round that stays supersonic beyond your furtherest target for best accuracy. Depending on the gun (ie bullet velocity determined by barrel length etc) 55/62 grain 223 and 150/165 308 can struggle with that task. But, that also means you might only be fully accurate at 550 or 600 yards, which is still quite fun, and resign yourself to accepting some transonic wobble when taking a poke at 700.

Also, beyond 400-500 yards, scope magnifcation and parallax starts to play a factor too, just in terms of seeing the target well.

But don’t let any of that discourage you before actually trying it with the equipment you have now, as long as it meets the listed requirements.

On the flipside, I’ve seen guys shooting 338 Lapua, so check with Matt on larger calibers beyond 300 Win Mag.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Mr. Glock wrote:Forgot these things:

My guess is 50 BMG bolt guns not welcome.
Black Rifles Matter
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

steves 50de wrote:
Mr. Glock wrote:Forgot these things:

My guess is 50 BMG bolt guns not welcome.
I wouldn't say that....email Matt. I'm not sure on the policy on 50s. API ammo would be way out through.

But, probably only a few shots here and there as firing line is small and you pretty much have to clear half of it to shoot a 50 due to the muzzle brake blast. Or, he might be able fit you on the end, that sort of thing. At the cost of 50 BMG, you probably weren't expecting to fire a hundred rounds anyway.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Anyone planning to attend on Monday, please shoot me a PM to let me know. Thanks.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Last minute range closure, just announced. Sorry for any inconvenience. Matt just found out the whole property is closed.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:Last minute range closure, just announced. Sorry for any inconvenience. Matt just found out the whole property is closed.
What happened? Too much rain?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Are you planning on heading out to the match on Dec 22nd ?

https://clubs.practiscore.com/shc-preci ... 1/register" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

i haven’t shot any matches, just shooting to learn at open range days at this point.