Snowflake shoot/GSM match,Perry,11-12-16 Report!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Snowflake shoot/GSM match,Perry,11-12-16 Report!

Post by JU-87 »

Hi all
I attended the Rifle Pop-up(aka "Snowflake shoot") and GSM match at Camp Perry(Port Clinton),Ohio on 11-12-2016.

What a BLAST!!

Got there at 8am. As expected, there was already a line. I'm already a member of "Friends of Camp Perry", so each relay only cost me $10. I signed up for three.

The course of fire is: Man sized silhouettes "pop-up" every 50 meters, starting at 50M out to 300M. 40 targets will appear. Ideally 1 shot per target, but who's counting? Two targets will appear at one time.
The MAD MAN running it often made THREE appear at ounce!:) Very stimulating/panic inducing!

A friend of mine described this course as "Whack-A-Mole with rifles!"
He nailed it.

I shot 2 relays with my non-match grade AR-15. Scored a 32 and a 36. Cool.

I shot my final relay with my pre war M1 Garand (that I bought from the CMP North store).
Ugly. But fun!
Before I confess, keep in mind I had to load/reload 5 times with the 8 round Enblock clip, under pressure.
19 out of 20.:eek:
Fun but humbling. And Fun.

Finished all my 3 relays by 11am.

Short drive over to Petrarca Range to czech out the GSM match, and to see how long a wait.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-targ ... rca-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They had a point open for the next relay, which started in 20 minutes!
Paid fee, ran to car to get gear,got trigger weighed, loaded mags for rapid fire. Whew! 5 minutes to spare. I used my non-match AR-15 for this.
The CMP had ammo for sale here. A great option if you ran out on the pop-ups, but I "roll my own" and brought extra.

The electronic targets are AWESOME! ( see link) Reduced course at 100M. No pit duty, 3 stages took me 45 minutes! I "verified" the score for another shooter, so 45 minutes there too.
Extremely fast.
Oh yea, I shot 283-1x out of 300. I'm satisfied with that for now.;)

I told a match official that I had a GREAT time, and that each event complimented the other. She said the next "Pop-up" shoot is April 15, 2017, and that the CMP is think of having another GSM match then too. I sure hope so. It was like a "mini" Eastern Games!

I highly recommend these events.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Re: Snowflake shoot/GSM match,Perry,11-12-16 Report!

Post by Brian D. »

Good write up. But Camp Perry may want to re-think the nickname of the match for political correctness, seeing how "snowflake" (or worse yet, "special snowflake") is probably going to officially be considered hate speech soon. :wink:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Excellent report! I was thinking of checking out the GSM match and wondered if Swiss K31's were allowed, but didn't want to push it. My buddies need to leave so I followed them out. As I reported on another match, I used a new rifle that I shot but ten rounds through. As the relay opened, my scope loosened, my magazine fell out and my hat covered my eyes. Hard to shoot then. I scored a 12 that time, fixed the problems and scored a 37 second relay and rested on my laurels. My friends with me scored middle to upper 30's. All of us had a great time.

There were many great scores throughout the line, if this is the last defense from invaders, we are safe on our side. If this is what politicians want the Armed Forces to go against, I'd say the Constitution will prevail.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Just curious since I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the various posts on the matches, are they shot standing, sitting/kneeling, prone, none of the above, shooter's choice?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Position is shooter's choice. Some would shoot offhand standing beside the raised wooden platform.
Gosh I wish I could have gone to this one. April 15th you say? Great!
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Javelin Man wrote:Excellent report! I was thinking of checking out the GSM match and wondered if Swiss K31's were allowed,..All of us had a great time...

There were many great scores throughout the line, if this is the last defense from invaders, we are safe on our side. If this is what politicians want the Armed Forces to go against, I'd say the Constitution will prevail.
I was walking down the firing line and saw a Swiss K31 in an open case with a beautiful stock. Was that yours? WOW! What a rifle!

I agree with your last statement! Maybe you already have, but if you want to see accurate,overwhelming rifle fire- watch a prone or sitting rapid fire string at the National Matches! Over 300 people firing 10 shots in 70 seconds with a mag change! :shock: 8) .

NOTHING could survive that. :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

JU-87 wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Excellent report! I was thinking of checking out the GSM match and wondered if Swiss K31's were allowed,..All of us had a great time...

I was walking down the firing line and saw a Swiss K31 in an open case with a beautiful stock. Was that yours? WOW! What a rifle!

I agree with your last statement! Maybe you already have, but if you want to see accurate,overwhelming rifle fire- watch a prone or sitting rapid fire string at the National Matches! Over 300 people firing 10 shots in 70 seconds with a mag change! :shock: 8) .

NOTHING could survive that. :)
I didn't have my K31 Saturday, I used it about 5-7 years ago the first time I was up there when only one or two targets would pop up, made it a lot easier. Now with up to three, it's nearly impossible with a bolt action rifle. I hit the 300 M target with the open sights on the Swiss, but everyone should be able to do that with these rifles.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Mr. Funk was there that day, and posted a video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx5I9B6N06w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think he did a nice job on the video. 8)