Project Appleseed - New Philadelphia

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bamafan7

Project Appleseed - New Philadelphia

Post by bamafan7 »

Aug 27-28, 2016

Anyone else attending? I'm all signed up. Just have a few items to pick up in preparation: 20 rd AR mag, GI style sling, and a shooting mat.

I'll be running an AR both days. Are optics encouraged?
"We must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most…and that is the indifference of good men."
Bama.45

Re: Project Appleseed - New Philadelphia

Post by Bama.45 »

I won't lie optics do make it easier for me at least to see those targets :lol: ..But you can shoot iron sights if you want..My first Appleseed I shot iron sights and missed getting my marksman patch by 10 points.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

It would just be a non magnified red dot is all. I figure I should run the system how I will have it configured.
"We must all fear evil men. But, there is another kind of evil which we must fear most…and that is the indifference of good men."
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Yeah if that is what you are used to I would.. And I meant rifleman lol.. Not marksman.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Have a second magazine or third.

Many of the courses of fire are two shots, mag change, then 8 shots. Some are load everything you got.

Optics are up to you. But I will say that the option exists at Tusco to go to the 600 yard range. Optics help there. ARs are not real good out to that range, so if you have a .30 cal battle or hunting rifle, you may want to bring that. If Corvette is shoot boss, he usually has a Garand or a Springfield.

They don't teach red dot sights. It can be done, but it isn't standard. Throw in extra batteries if you do. More than once, a shooter was sidelined for dead batteries, and didn't have secondary sights.

Bring lots of water. Dehydration will knock out good vision.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I used a Vortex Sparc on AR for my 2nd Appleseed and it worked quite well. I loved that there was no parallax with the red dot, so eye placement isn't as critical as with a rifle scope. You'll need to know your optic, since as Mustang380gal said, they don't cover them.

As to magazines, I brought 2 x 10 round and 2 x 20 round. I used a 10 and a 20 for the stages requiring a mag change - 2 rounds in the 10, 8 rounds in the 20. It made knowing which was which easy, and the 20 gave plenty of mag to hold onto for inserting the mag after the change.

+1 on the extra batteries and water. Lots of water. And some snacks as well - a fruit and nut-based trail mix in 1/2 cup containers made for a quick munch during breaks and instructional sessions. You'l be using more energy than you realize, so it helps.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Bring a good shooting mat and possibly some elbow pads. Unless they changed which line they are using, the New Philly line is cement.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Bring a good shooting mat and possibly some elbow pads. Unless they changed which line they are using, the New Philly line is cement.
Great point. Even with a shooting mat, my elbows were raw by the end of my first Appleseed. No worries my second, apparently I toughened them up a bit.

If Corvette is running the shoot there will likely be spare shooting mats available, but you can't count on it.

Also, when they recommend long pants and long-sleeved shirts, they are speaking from experience. It helps tremendously to keep hot brass off of your arms and legs - when you are working on that timed prone stage and a hot .223 cartridge lands in the crook of your arm or rolls up between the mat and your leg, you'll be thankful if there is fabric between it and your skin.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. I'd much rather shoot in the mud than on concrete. For me it wasn't so much that my elbows got scraped up, it was the bone that got sore from point of contact with unyielding surface. At least with mud I can create divots. But I bought elbow pads for those times when mud is not an option.
JustaShooter wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Bring a good shooting mat and possibly some elbow pads. Unless they changed which line they are using, the New Philly line is cement.
Great point. Even with a shooting mat, my elbows were raw by the end of my first Appleseed. No worries my second, apparently I toughened them up a bit.

If Corvette is running the shoot there will likely be spare shooting mats available, but you can't count on it.

Also, when they recommend long pants and long-sleeved shirts, they are speaking from experience. It helps tremendously to keep hot brass off of your arms and legs - when you are working on that timed prone stage and a hot .223 cartridge lands in the crook of your arm or rolls up between the mat and your leg, you'll be thankful if there is fabric between it and your skin.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I planned on picking up this mat
VISM by NcStar Roll Up Shooting Mat, Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015I3J16C/re ... Mxb4J28P91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For magazines, I'll need to pick up some 10/20 round magazines. All I have are 30s right now. How many are needed? Two 10s? One 20?

Any elbow pads you guys recommend?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I recommend at least two 10s and two 20s. That way, if something happens you have spares.

Can't help with the elbow pads since I didn't use any...
NRA Life Member

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Been so long ago I have no idea where I bought my elbow pads. Haven't used them since I went from student to instructor.

Check Midway for mats also. They make pretty good ones and they are frequently on sale.
bamafan7 wrote:Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I planned on picking up this mat
VISM by NcStar Roll Up Shooting Mat, Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015I3J16C/re ... Mxb4J28P91" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For magazines, I'll need to pick up some 10/20 round magazines. All I have are 30s right now. How many are needed? Two 10s? One 20?

Any elbow pads you guys recommend?
bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

Another question. My AR has a MOE stock on it. Will the Magpul MS1 sling be acceptable? Or do I need to buy a mil spec stock or upgrade to one with a QD slot to add a swivel for a GI sling?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

You really do need a standard USGI sling. Other slings may work well but the instructors will be focusing on using the USGI sling so you will need to know how to use any other sling to stabilize your positions in prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing. I'm not familiar with the MOE stock so I can't say if it would work or not, but you need to be able to attach the sling near the front of the handguard or on the gas block at one end, and at the rear of the buttstock at the other..
NRA Life Member

bamafan7

Post by bamafan7 »

JustaShooter wrote:You really do need a standard USGI sling. Other slings may work well but the instructors will be focusing on using the USGI sling so you will need to know how to use any other sling to stabilize your positions in prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing. I'm not familiar with the MOE stock so I can't say if it would work or not, but you need to be able to attach the sling near the front of the handguard or on the gas block at one end, and at the rear of the buttstock at the other..
There's isn't a sling swivel or QD mount on the MOE stock. Looks like I'll have to grab an M4 stock and a GI sling then. Damn.