2015 Tony Gordon Award

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: 2015 Tony Gordon Award

Post by Tweed Ring »

So, take it. As I said, this ain't Tammany Hall...
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:So, take it. As I said, this ain't Tammany Hall...
We'll be working on it after July 21st, but elections aren't until Nov., 2016.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Glad to see we agree on the date of the general election. Again, I recommends the award be given to someone in OGA who supports our philosophy and who can move our legislation.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I would like to nominate MyWifeSaidYes for all of his extraordinary volunteerism in correcting violations of state laws made by cities, villages and other political subdivisions within the state of Ohio.

Hard to argue with MWSY as a nominee.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:Glad to see we agree on the date of the general election. Again, I recommends the award be given to someone in OGA who supports our philosophy and who can move our legislation.
Right about standard on agreement between two card-carrying Republicans like us; check out Bush #3 (R) and Trump (R) on the issue of Mexican fence jumpers, and Boehner (R) and his (R)acolytes in Congress.
By "someone in OGA who supports our philosophy", I hope you mean someone who would send a pro-RKBA bill to the Governor's desk. Now that would be an excellent choice.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Leadership directs the flow of legislation. Please select someone in leadership.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I see two good points here.

Chuck and MWSY have done some great grassroots work (and thank you, btw), and this should be recognized as helping the effort. This sort of thing takes time and expense, and they are actually out there doing it vs writing about how it should be done. Kudos.

And Tweed has a solid point, rewarding "friendlies" in the government is likely to support and drive our efforts in the law-making arena. Not quite as neat and clean as some nominations of people we know, but has a very large potential to help the effort. In the early days, OFCC did not drive the CHL bandwagon in a reactionary manner, they worked with the political folks to get the job done. Love them or hate them, they do make the laws.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I guess if you just insist on picking a lawmaker, please choose one who will:

1) Show up at the Picnic.
2) Stay around and talk to us low end peons a while, not just show up long enough to eat "our" food, grab their trophy, and dash off to another event.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

B - To me it isn’t about the pol appearing at the event. Last minute, they might get a better gig. To me, it’s all about raising our level of recognition and clout with them.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Yes !!! Plain and simple, 'You vote for issues concerning our Constitutional RKBA and we'll vote for you in the next election'. How much more friendly and sociable can one get than that ?
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I definitely feel there are several amongst us who deserve kudos and appreciation for their efforts. That said, Tweed and others make a very powerful argument that we should also recognize those political leaders who have advanced our legal agenda.

That being said, Who and for what should we honor them?

House Bill 234 was a big one we got relatively recently that vastly opened up CHL reciprocity to many states, reduced required training from a grueling 12 to 8 hours, makes it easier to obtain suppressors, and removes restrictions on where long arms may be purchased and magazine capacity.

Who are most responsible for it? Rep. Cheryl Grossman and Rep. John Becker were primary sponsors in the House, and Sen. Larry Obhof and Sen. Joe Uecker gave lots of support in the Senate. Last but not least, Gov. John Kasich signed it into law, who I might add, may be considering a run for the white house and I believe would definitely appreciate a recognition for his pro-gun bonafides during his time as Ohio's Governor. I believe it's safe to say that Kasich has been one of our strongest supporters in getting our agenda into law as Governor.

Just some names to consider... I also note that one name appears more than any other on this list.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

So the quid pro quo works, the Governor got elected for a 2nd term and the semi-auto rifle ban has long since sunset.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

OK, why not create an additional award to give to a member of the OGA or a pol in one of the Ohio Constitutional Offices?