2015 Tony Gordon Award

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: 2015 Tony Gordon Award

Post by BobK »

Tweed Ring wrote:Why not give the award to someone in our OGA leadership who supports our efforts?
Sounds like a reasonable course to consider. Who would you specifically recommend and why?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I leave the selection of the possible recipient to the OFCC Suits. Morne will know who is on our side, and who gives us lip service; leadership runs the OGA.

Senators Weidner and Faber come to mind in the Senate - Speaker Rosenberger in the House.

This is the political (Big P) option. I'm a believer in rewarding those who make the decisions as to what legislation moves forward. Building bridges, etc.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

techguy85 wrote:i would say both of them tried to do something but for whatever reasons the best parts of these bills always seem to get chopped out or they don't make it through the process. I can see Chuck's point for sure about maybe trying to reward someone outside the group.
Joe Uecker was the force behind the amendment that effectively killed the media access to CHL licenses this week.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

The Governor will be relieved to hear his name didn't come up for this Pro RKBA award. :|
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

BobK wrote:
techguy85 wrote: I can see Chuck's point for sure about maybe trying to reward someone outside the group.
He has a great point that has sold me. This is a chance to make some political hay and further our agenda with politicians.

If we start with the premise that we are trying to reward and honor political friends, my question is focused on what acts of friendship can be touted as good for the OFCC? No politician can deliver perfect results in that sausage grinding factory called the Ohio Legislature (or any state legislature). Instead, who is a consistent ally, pushing the ball further down the road?

Thus my question regarding these two gentlemen is sincere. If someone thinks they should be awarded, present a small statement now that describes why. Remember that the actual award will be accompanied by a press release announcing the recipient and explaining how/why they earned it.
I agree, good points. I'd like to know more about those who helped us this year politically push our agenda as well. This is not only a thank you but it helps spread the word about what we want to see going forward.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The Governor will be relieved to hear his name didn't come up for this Pro RKBA award. :|
Has he signed all that was presented to him?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

pirateguy191 wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:The Governor will be relieved to hear his name didn't come up for this Pro RKBA award. :|
I believe yes, all that he allowed to be presented to him.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

And that, dear readers, is how politics works…
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
I believe yes, all that he allowed to be presented to him.
*grumble under breath about stuff * exactly this...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would like to nominate MyWifeSaidYes for all of his extraordinary volunteerism in correcting violations of state laws made by cities, villages and other political subdivisions within the state of Ohio.

Whether it's a "No Guns" sign posted where it shouldn't be or a Sheriff telling a CHL holder that they need to take a range re-certification class (several years AFTER that requirement was dropped), MWSY is quick to contact and correct misinformation, and (almost) always does so in a friendly tone.

Not only has MWSY spent time in working with civic leaders and law enforcement across the state to fight violations of R.C. 9.68, R.C. 504.04 and 2923.125, but he has selflessly encouraged and assisted other individuals to flex their citizenship in this battle.

Browsing through the OFCC 9.68 forum shows you that many of these Ohio citizens have never voluntarily contacted a police department, attended a council meeting or made a public records request. MWSY has taken the time to help develop these important skills of citizenship within anyone that requests such help, even those who are members of other pro-gun groups, such as Ohio Carry.

In the past few years, MWSY has had email conversations with at least 12 Boards of County Commissioners and/or Agricultural Societies, 30 or more cities and villages and about 6 park districts. MWSY has also contacted 5 township Boards of Trustees, including Liberty Township in Delaware county.

For how many years did that township post "No Guns" signs in Liberty Park, the location for OFCC's annual Party In The Park? Rather than continuing to ignore those signs, thanks to MWSY's efforts, as of 2012 the signs were finally taken down. Due to further efforts by MWSY, the township updated their written rules and policies in 2013.

Does this knowledge sharing and these efforts qualify as going "above and beyond while working to further gun rights in the State of Ohio" or performing "exceptional work to promote, support, or expand gun rights in Ohio"?

I don't know. That is for YOU to decide.

Please visit this thread and post your nominations: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:And that, dear readers, is how politics works…
Not taught in your std. high school civics class.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

No, indeed. But, neither is the world sprayed and scrubbed with Lysol whilst we sleep. The game is all about money, and power, and clout.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Which is why we sometimes have to fight dirty to retain our RKBA and issue 'Tony Gordon Awards'.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Ohio gun owners are not really organized, spend little of their disposable income on lobbying/politics, and have limited power and clout with the OGA leadership.

I assume most of the Ohioans who possess CHL’s are gun owners. How many of these gun owners are politically active? Now, how many of these same people belong to Ohio-centric gun rights organizations?

Fight as dirty as you deem appropriate. This ain't Tammany Hall.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

"The way to have Power is to take it" - William "Boss" Tweed