Cowboy Action Shooting

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Cowboy Action Shooting

Post by Morne »

So every now and again I get the itch to try CAS. Anybody here into it? Thoughts? Events in NE Ohio that I could go watch first?
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Sky Pilot

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting

Post by Sky Pilot »

it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Dress the part, compete with firearms of the period, steel plates CLANK when hit, they are big and close and surprisingly easy to miss ... and it is a maxim that you can't miss 'em fast enough to win! :lol:
We take our fun very seriously, the fellowship is grand, and when the wife's rifle packed up on round number 2 of a 10-shot string, in less than eight seconds, four rifles were being offered us for the duration of the match!
I compete with the Firelands Peacemakers in Rochester, in the south of Lorain County. There are other groups in NE OH, all of them welcome newcomers ... just show up and watch, bring your eye & ear protection, let it be known that you're interested. Just come as you are, don't worry about dressing the part just to come and say howdy and look the place over.
I can recommend any one and every one of the groups I've shot with! Make yourself to home!
Here's where to find 'em: (link!) http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Ohio
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

PCSI in Circlevilel runs SASS/Cowboy Action shooting matches. I'll probably be posting monthly lists of matches coming up around Ohio. I also believe that they have some at Youngstown Rifle & Pistol.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

dl1911 wrote:PCSI in Circlevilel runs SASS/Cowboy Action shooting matches. I'll probably be posting monthly lists of matches coming up around Ohio. I also believe that they have some at Youngstown Rifle & Pistol.
Do they do SASS Wild Bunch shooting matches?
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

buckeye43210 wrote:
dl1911 wrote:PCSI in Circlevilel runs SASS/Cowboy Action shooting matches. I'll probably be posting monthly lists of matches coming up around Ohio. I also believe that they have some at Youngstown Rifle & Pistol.
Do they do SASS Wild Bunch shooting matches?
Not sure, you'd do best to contact people at the club (http://www.pcsirange.com/index.php?opti ... ut=default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Youngstown hasn't had matches in a few years.

The Salem Hunting Club does, May thru Oct.
http://www.salemhuntingclub.com/cowboyactionshoot.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Joined the Single Action Shooting Society today. SASS # 102100, alias "Doug Grave".
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

This is something I've been getting an itch to try, but the barrier to entry is all the guns required.

I do have a .357 Ruger Blackhawk, and a .357 lever gun but the closest shotgun that might ?? be allowable is a single shot 12 gauge. From what I've read I would still need another single action pistol and probably a double barrel shotgun at least, right?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Klingon00 wrote:This is something I've been getting an itch to try, but the barrier to entry is all the guns required.

I do have a .357 Ruger Blackhawk, and a .357 lever gun but the closest shotgun that might ?? be allowable is a single shot 12 gauge. From what I've read I would still need another single action pistol and probably a double barrel shotgun at least, right?
Yeah, that's right. Maybe see if a buddy has a loaner for you to give a match a whirl before committing?

There are a number of good "how to get started in cowboy action shooting" web articles around. Also some YouTube videos on the topic.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Klingon00 wrote:This is something I've been getting an itch to try, but the barrier to entry is all the guns required.

The Wild Bunch variation uses a 1911 pistol in 45 ACP :-)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Morne wrote:Joined the Single Action Shooting Society today. SASS # 102100, alias "Doug Grave".
Congratulations on coming up with an alias which fits in so well with the overall fun tone of the sport. As you can imagine, "But, all the good names are taken!" is something the SASS officials hear from new members quite frequently.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

buckeye43210 wrote:

The Wild Bunch variation uses a 1911 pistol in 45 ACP :-)
I have a mil-spec 1911. :D