You Gotta try IDPA!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

You Gotta try IDPA!

Post by JU-87 »

I've often read about IDPA, and thought it would be great training for CCW. Well, I don't know anyone who does it , so I went to the official website of IDPA and found the phone # of a contact person in my area.
I showed up at the range with 2 boxes of ammo,extra mag, and the non-member fee of $5,( And the pistol which I was wearing anyway).
WHAT A GREAT TIME!
The coarse of fire is explained,safety procedures gone over, and any questions awnsered.
I told the people there "I'm here to make mistakes". Not safety mistakes mind you, but to see how I can shoot and move under (a little) pressure.
I did fair, but as predicted, I did make a few mistakes. I sure am glad I made them there!
Folks, do yourselves a favor and try IDPA , if you have'nt already.
I'ts great training for a minimal price, and a fun time.
I'm hooked!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

I'm supposed to go a week from Monday with a buddy of mine, I can't wait! I think it's up in Lenaway County in MI, but I'm not sure.

Anyone know of the place I'm thinking of?

Hey JU-87, what are you shooting? I have a 1911 I'm going to use, but didn't know what others are using.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Todd(?)

For IDPA I use the pistol I carry, a Glock model 30 in 45acp. I carry it in a Glock brand belt slide holster, which rides on a Wilderness products 5-stitch belt.
This "rig" works well for me.
I think your 1911 pistol will work just fine.
Let me/us know how you like it!

Word of advise: If you shoot, even "wing" a hostage (or no-shoot )target, it will cost you a 5 second penalty.Trust me :wink: .
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I know what you mean. I have been doing some IDPA shooting now for about 6 weeks now. It is great fun.
I have been shooting near Lorain and the costs are about the same $5.00 for first shoot and $2.00 for reshoots.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

JU-87 wrote:Word of advise: If you shoot, even "wing" a hostage (or no-shoot )target, it will cost you a 5 second penalty.Trust me :wink: .
In the "for real" world, if you shoot, even "wing" a hostage or no-shoot target, it will cost you a heckuva lot more than a 5 second penalty.Trust me :wink:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Harlie

Post by Harlie »

For those who haven't tried IDPA, you owe it to yourself to at least go to one event. The only place, besides a training school, where you can hone and polish your skills outside your comfort zone. Drop the competitive aspect and go to test your skills, . At many ranges there are restrictions on working from holster, moving and shooting, so many of the skills that we need to be able to use. Plus the small amount of pressure that comes with being away from normal comfort zone. I'm always amazed how my shooting changes from home practice (Have a backyard area to shoot) and event results. Shooting skills are perishable and diminish rather quickly, unless we work at it. Training schools are important, but with out constant practice and testing, what you've learned will not remain at a acceptable/desirable level. Go to compete against yourself, using your regular gear, garments and enjoy the comradery. Practice practice.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
Mike45Acp

Post by Mike45Acp »

I have been shooting IDPA for about a year for a couple of different ranges and clubs and it really is a great time. People of all skill levels are involved and everyone gets something out of it. Some people like the competition and hone their skills under the pressure of winning, others like it because it gives them exposure to shooting in mock real-world excercises, then there are those who shoot IDPA to get familiar with using their gear. Whatever the motivation to shoot - if it gets you to the range and behind the trigger its good.

As stated in the IDPA rulebook, IDPA uses mock real-world scenarios to simulate different situations. However, IDPA is not a substitute for training. Anyone who is serious about learning how to think, move and shoot in combat situations should consider an accredited training school.

IDPA is allot of things - most importantly it is a forum to practice with your mind, technique and tools.

P.S. As far as what gun to use, I would recommend using the gun you rely on to keep you safe - the one that will be the first one you grab when life gets ugly. the more you practice with that weapon the more prepared you will be if you actually need it to save your life.
KRobb

Shooting IDPA

Post by KRobb »

:roll:

Just where in NE Ohio are these events taking place? I would like to try my hand as well

KRobb
nj3416

Re: Shooting IDPA

Post by nj3416 »

KRobb wrote: :roll:

Just where in NE Ohio are these events taking place? I would like to try my hand as well

KRobb
I'll second that one. I'm very interested in IDPA events.
Ring

Post by Ring »

here
http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/IDPA.html

then hit the phone book, and call all you local gun shops, they will know more..
Gary

IDPA shoot

Post by Gary »

I have been shooting at an informal shoot at Beaver Creek Sportsman' Club. It is at 12131 Quarry Rd. New Russia Township. Just east just north of the Turnpike just west of Lorain. They have open shoots every Wednsday @6:00 thorugh Sept. 28. The shoot on Sept. 7 will be handgun and shotgun. It is a great time and nice place. The first shoot is $5.00 and time permitting reshoots are $2.00
stay safe
Mike45Acp

Post by Mike45Acp »

The Firing Line in Canal Fulton Ohio will be starting and indoor IDPA back up the end of September and there is a private club - Greenport Tactical that has IDPA every third sunday of the month outdoors.

http://www.ccwohio.com
http://www.gta.hn.org
brad9920

Post by brad9920 »

Do you shoot at the Firing line??
Gargoyle357

Re: IDPA shoot

Post by Gargoyle357 »

Gary wrote:I have been shooting at an informal shoot at Beaver Creek Sportsman' Club. It is at 12131 Quarry Rd. New Russia Township. Just east just north of the Turnpike just west of Lorain. They have open shoots every Wednsday @6:00 thorugh Sept. 28. The shoot on Sept. 7 will be handgun and shotgun. It is a great time and nice place. The first shoot is $5.00 and time permitting reshoots are $2.00
stay safe
My friend Joe and I shot there a number of times this summer. Sadly I missed the last 2 pistol weeks. :cry:

The BUG weeks were my absolute favorite though. Can't wait for spring and the snow hasn't even started!

John
Gary

Erie County Conservation League Shoot

Post by Gary »

Erie county is having their second shoot this Sunday Oct. 9 @2:00 P.M. The first one 2 weeks ago went over big if they can have as large a turnout this Sunday mabe they can expand their program. The last one was open to the public.