IDPA clinic for beginners in Ashland

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

muxtech

IDPA clinic for beginners in Ashland

Post by muxtech »

I'll be there. Who's coming with me?
IDPA Clinic & Familiarization 2008

Saturday, April 19, 2008, 9:00 AM

An introduction to IDPA shooting including equipment, rules of the game and the familiarization with the IDPA National Classifier Course.

When: Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM at Ashland Lake Gun Club. Meet at the pavilion.

Cost: $20.00 Non ALGC Members, $15.00 for Members Make checks payable to ALGC. Deadline April 14th, 2008

Mail checks to: P.O. Box 1174 Brunswick, OH 44212

Late fee: add $5:00 if received after April 14, deadline.

What to bring: A pistol or revolver without compensators or optical sights. A holster and magazine pouch that can be worn on a belt on the side of the torso. Speed reloaders a must for revolvers and 3 magazines for pistols. A minimum of 150 rounds of ammunition is recommended. IDPA is limited to 38 cal – 9 mm and larger calibers. More information on equipment and rules can be found at www.idpa.com.

Lunch: Lunch will be provided by none other than the World Renowned Chefs of “COMBAT CUISINE”
http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/
The British are going! The British are going!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I've been. This was the first IDPA event I ever shot. In fact, on the morning I shot it, I stopped at Fin Feather & Fur, picked up a Beretta 92FS, then went to Ashland Lakes and used that gun for the event! Nice way to shoot a new gun for the first time!

The course of fire is good and the members are helpful. Just be prepared for a bit of "snobbery" from at least ONE of them (he thinks anything other than a Kimber is junk...even though I beat him with my Hi-Point! :lol: ).

The food they serve for lunch is good, too!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I am teaching a CHL class that day. I may try to make the match on March 30th, though. It's the day after Friends of Camp Perry so I may have an issue with my wife!
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

I'm shopping for a sportsman's club to join. From Lorain I can shoot down Rt. 58 and boom, I'm there. So I plan to look around while I'm there. I was hoping the snobbishness would be kept to a minimum at a newbie clinic. Oh well, payback's a { inappropriate canine reference }. :D
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

The IDPA clinic was today. It was a really good event. I'm glad there was no competitive pressure of a match day. It was a challenge enough to understand the course of fire, obey the rules, and actually move my feet and trigger finger at the same time. I can't wait to do it again. Here I am giving it a go. I'll post a couple more tomorrow. My thanks to Bill and Toby from Coply Oh for helping me out with the photography. :D

Oh, and there were no cover garments today so they could see the newbie mag-wells were empty. (In case you wondered.)
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

There were two adjacent pistol ranges separated by a high berm. South range pictured. At these ranges they got us following instructions and moving forward, back, and laterally while shooting. Preceded by regular target shooting and reloads, preceded by a classroom style intro to IDPA. The range officers were helpful and friendly, yet controlled range safety at all times. (As one would expect.)

Then after the basics, there was shooting from cover, mag changes, run to secondary cover and shooting multiple targets before moving to a third range pictured here. These are the competition style stages.

There were two stages in succession. First was an outdoor scenario with 3 BG's and one "hostage" requiring a headshot to BG #3 from behind cover, (photo #1 & 3). Next, was the "Waffle House hold up." 4 BG targets, 3 non threat "targets" to not hit. Requires drawing while seated, shooting Targets 1&2, moving to cover, shooting targets 3&4.

Shooting targets 3&4 without hitting "the cashier".

There were about 100 participants, (not counting the range officers). It went from 9am till about 4pm with grilled brauts for lunch in their enclosed pavilion. I had a great time. Can you tell? I have wanted to try this for some time. If you've never tried IDPA, and you want a more realistic drill than the indoor stall, find a match near you.

Last edited by muxtech on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Looks like fun. Where the heck is Ashland at?
Poop!
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Ashland is a few clicks north of Mansfield on I 71. Ashland Lake Gun Club is 4 miles south of West Salem on Rt 42. East of Ashland.

May 24 is the qualifier match. There, they score you into a "class". That way, at successive matches, you can compete within your own skill level group. That would be another good day to attend for a new shooter. There will be all levels of skill participating, but if you can get through that, you'd be ready for your first match day after having done it once. The most important thing I learned is what specifically I need to practice, as dry fire practice. Sweep, draw, grip, retention, presentation, reloads, and movement, all without the basic marksmanship learned in the stall from going out the window.

You don't have to be a member of ALGC to participate. Here is schedule info. Matches are monthly through November.

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/idpa/index.html

I have a question about the shot timer device they hold over your shoulder. Am I correct in thinking it's a sort of glorified stop watch that starts with a beep, and stops with your last shot fired, and reads out the time between the two events? I know how target score and penaltys factor in along with time, does the timer do any more than I described?
Scavok

Post by Scavok »

I've only shot IPSC. Not sure what's different from IDPA -- the only thing I recall was someone telling me competitors weren't allowed to "drop mags" (i.e., let them hit the ground) during a reload. I thought that was A Bad Thing and immediately dismissed IDPA. IIRC, IDPA only allows "street" gear and not "race" gear, right? I'm okay with that since I shoot in the Production division of IPSC where "race" gear is prohibited.

I suppose if I had started with IDPA and not IPSC, I'd be dissing IPSC instead. :roll:

Anyway, you liked it and that's what ultimately matters. :)
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

What's not to like? It was a warm day outside compared to the Camp Perry pop up shoot. (Way cold!) The place was nice, I could use the gear I've already accumulated, and it only cost $20.00 for a full day including lunch. Living in the city, shooting outside is a treat. All my previous shooting has been stationary. Backing away from the targets, I totally lost my sight picture and wound up point shooting. I need shooting experiences to challenge me out of my comfort zone and illuminate how much I have to learn.

It's my understanding you can drop a mag in IDPA as long as there are no rounds in it. (Slidelock). You can shove the partially spent mag in any pocket or carrier as you reload, (with retention).
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Yeah...something like that.

Mag empty...can be dropped. (no use to you anyway at that point)
Mag with rounds...don't want that falling into the wrong hands. Pocket it!

I love IDPA from my few experiences.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jualdeaux

Post by jualdeaux »

muxtech wrote: I have a question about the shot timer device they hold over your shoulder. Am I correct in thinking it's a sort of glorified stop watch that starts with a beep, and stops with your last shot fired, and reads out the time between the two events? I know how target score and penaltys factor in along with time, does the timer do any more than I described?
You are correct that the timers start at the beep. The record all the shots fired and the interval in between them. (split times) It also records the total time from the beep to the last shot. The split times are nice to know at times as well as you can use those to measure your draw and first shot or how fast your double taps are. Some timers can be hooked up to other equipment such as a scoreboard for the gallery or a light. Rarely will there be a match were they want a visible instead of an audible start signal for a certain stage.

You all are correct for the most part in saying that in IDPA it is a penalty to drop a magazine with rounds in it. The reason is that it is tactically unsound to leave ammo behind. You may end up needing that later on. (That being said, I did fumble a mag once and left it on the ground. I knew there was one BG left just around a corner and thought that it would be just as bad to take my eyes off the corner and pick it up due to the fact that I didn't want the possibility of the BG coming around when I'm looking down fumbling to pick the mag up. I just pulled my second backup mag instead and finished the stage.) it is one of those things that you have to make a judgement call on when you are shooting these matches. Playing a game and real life are two different things and sometimes they come into conflict in certain scenarios. I chose to take the penalty.

The one exception to the leaving a loaded magazine on the ground is a penalty is for those times you might have a malfunction. If you have a malfunction where you have to eject the magazine in order to clear it, it is okay to leave it behind. basically, if Tap, Rack, Bang doesn't work and you have to move to a level two or greater malfunction clearance, why put the mag back in when it might be the problem.