Appleseed in Ohio, 2008

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Michael

Post by Michael »

I attended an Appleseed shoot in Kentucky last year. It was great. I used my FAL.

This year I plan on attending the shoot in Athens. I'll be using my modified 10/22:

ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Barrel band? What barrel band?
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
Michael

Post by Michael »

ArcherAce wrote:Barrel band? What barrel band?
http://www.thedoublebarrelband.com/
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

That's a great illustration. I plan to get the sights and sling for my 10/22. I'll have to wait until later for the Volkswagens. :D

Mine does have the barrel band however.
The British are going! The British are going!
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Let me clarify.

My 10/22 does not have a barrel band. It did not come with one. Are their models of the 10/22 that do?
Michael

Post by Michael »

ArcherAce wrote:Let me clarify.

My 10/22 does not have a barrel band. It did not come with one. Are their models of the 10/22 that do?
I'm pretty sure all of the standard, no-frills 10/22s come with a barrel band. The DSP has a hardwood stock and does not come with a barrel band.

Some may disagree, but it is my belief that it is better not to have a barrel band if you plan on using an M-1907 or web shooting sling. When you tighten the sling you're pulling down on the stock. This will cause an undesirable downward force on the barrel if a barrel band is present.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'm as guilty as the next guy for adding a few accessories to my guns (this is why my LTR is a Marlin...no accessories available, so can't spend it), but don't fret if you have a box stock 10/22....the equipment doesn't matter as much as the attitude.

Sure, a 10/22 without a barrel band is most likely going to be more accurate at some point than one with it (just due to harmonics)...but we are shooting 25 meters. Pick up the skills, then the rifle, if you are limited by budget.

As they say in Appleseed, I'd rather have a 100 rounds in the box and 900 rounds of skill than 1,000 rounds in the box and no skill.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Speaking of accessorizing your 10/22, I noticed that the techsights are parkerized. I wonder how my 10/22 would look parked.

The M1 looking sights. A nice park job. hmmm.....
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

ArcherAce wrote:Let me clarify.

ArcherAce,

Yes, the box stock basic lowest level Ruger 10/22 (not the special models they make for others) comes with a barrel band on the front of the stock.

It is not very conducive to accuracy.

Most are either loosened as far as they can be and keep them on the rifle, or they are removed from the rifle.

Uncle Mikes' used to have an adapter that went into the band for a sling swivel, but the band was case of either aluminum or pot metal and it would break if any pressure was put on it, so it NEVER was any good for using a real sling for shooting.

You used to be able to (might still be, I have not checked) go to the Ruger web page and download a manual for any of their guns. It should have pictures of the basic models and an exploded view showing parts for the basic models too.

Buckshot
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Mr. Glock wrote:I'm as guilty as the next guy for adding a few accessories to my guns (this is why my LTR is a Marlin...no accessories available, so can't spend it), but don't fret if you have a box stock 10/22....the equipment doesn't matter as much as the attitude.

Sure, a 10/22 without a barrel band is most likely going to be more accurate at some point than one with it (just due to harmonics)...but we are shooting 25 meters. Pick up the skills, then the rifle, if you are limited by budget.

As they say in Appleseed, I'd rather have a 100 rounds in the box and 900 rounds of skill than 1,000 rounds in the box and no skill.
Mr. Glock,

It is REAL EASY to leave the barrel band off of the basic 10/22 carbine.

No one should have it on there if they don't want it on there!

I would not worry about all that fancy stuff, the sling is a necessary mod, the Tech Sights are a NICE but NOT NECESSARY mod. The other stuff is all nice, but not necessary, too.

Buckshot
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

So to facilitate the addition of an M1 canvas sling should I remove my barrel band and install 1.25" swivels in the appropriate locations fore and aft on the stock?

I guess I was thinking the front swivel would attatch to the barrel band. I did not know the band was superfluous at best and a liability at worst.

I've had the rifle a long time. Removing the scope and giving it a little make-over is fun in and of itself. I understand it's not required. It will be extra fun spending the weekend shooting my "new" rifle.
The British are going! The British are going!
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

muxtech wrote:So to facilitate the addition of an M1 canvas sling should I remove my barrel band and install 1.25" swivels in the appropriate locations fore and aft on the stock?

I guess I was thinking the front swivel would attatch to the barrel band. I did not know the band was superfluous at best and a liability at worst.

I've had the rifle a long time. Removing the scope and giving it a little make-over is fun in and of itself. I understand it's not required. It will be extra fun spending the weekend shooting my "new" rifle.
Muxtech,

The recommended slings require a 1 1/4" swivel loop to mount.

If you can get that on the barrel band and it will take it , you are good to go, if it will not take it and it breaks, then you can't use the sling again.

Most people are making a permanent modification and installing the swivel in the stock.

It is up to you, though it is your rifle and you know how much sentimental meaning it has for you.

You can always find a a replacement stock for it and do the mods to the replacement stock, they go cheap from those who hot rod the 10/22.

Buckshot
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

muxtech wrote: I've had the rifle a long time. Removing the scope and giving it a little make-over is fun in and of itself. I understand it's not required. It will be extra fun spending the weekend shooting my "new" rifle.
Oh...I hear you....and my wallet hears you :oops:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Sorry......reposted in correct thread.

:oops:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;