NRA Convention pulled from Columbus!

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

News

Post by Cruiser »

Is any of this making it to the Columbus area news media? It will be interesting to see just how much of what we are discussing actually gets to the Sheeple in Columbus! Do they even know about the AWB?
The Dayton noon news made no mention of any of it.
If wasn't for the forums I would not even have known about the Columbus AWB!
haspelbein

Re: News

Post by haspelbein »

Cruiser wrote:Is any of this making it to the Columbus area news media? It will be interesting to see just how much of what we are discussing actually gets to the Sheeple in Columbus! Do they even know about the AWB?
A couple of days ago on WNCI in Columbus a perky female voice announced something along the lines of:

"The NRA may move their convention to a different city, causing a potential loss of $20 million in revenue. On a more positive note, Columbus was voted the 4th cleanest city in the nation!"

:roll:
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
rhwiley

Re: News

Post by rhwiley »

Cruiser wrote:Is any of this making it to the Columbus area news media? It will be interesting to see just how much of what we are discussing actually gets to the Sheeple in Columbus! Do they even know about the AWB?
Folks, the news appears to getting out there in Columbus. Since I'm in NE Ohio, I can't listen directly (unless I manage to find a streaming link).

From what I'm seeing, things are getting rather interesting...Here's a few links from two of Columbus' television news agencies I found interesting...

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4735086/detail.html
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3601509
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3606651

Bob Wiley

Edited to fix formatting (BBCode was off) - Cable
collin

Post by collin »

The NRA made the right decision. I'm pleased.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

I agree with what the NRA has done here. If they hadn't have pulled out I would have really wondered if my NRA dues could have been serving a better purpose some place else.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Petrofergov wrote:Let's just keep putting Rebublicans in there and keep those whiney dems on the run.
Ya mean Republicans like Montgomery, Taft, DeWine, and Voinovich...? They have proven again and again that they are no friends of ours.

I don't know why the Pubbies expect me to vote for them except that the Dims are way worse.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Ya mean Republicans like Montgomery, Taft, DeWine, and Voinovich...? They have proven again and again that they are no friends of ours.

I don't know why the Pubbies expect me to vote for them except that the Dims are way worse.
I think it's unfortunate the above group have given the Republicans a bad name - I like that term being used around here "RINO" to describe them. Personally, I say let the Ohio voters send them the message to straighten up and do what's right.

If they can't do that, I personally think these people should find themselves being helped into finding another party more appropriate to their desires. By that time, the voters should be cleaning house, and taking out the garbage.

There's a reason we have a electoral system - use it, participate in it, and be amazed at what woes clear up.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Toby Hoover's Take on This

Post by rickt »

I can almost picture her foaming at the mouth as she typed up her take on this:

http://www.ocagv.org/

I don't think anyone can accuse her of being dispassionate or unemotional.
Brian_Horton

Re: Toby Hoover's Take on This

Post by Brian_Horton »

rickt wrote:I can almost picture her foaming at the mouth as she typed up her take on this:

http://www.ocagv.org/

I don't think anyone can accuse her of being dispassionate or unemotional.
Ah Ms. Hoover. Ohio's own Queen of Hyberbole.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
mscott

Post by mscott »

I really wanted to go to the show, but I'm glad the NRA stood their ground on this one.
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Deja vu, back to when the Ohio Gun Collectors pulled their show out of Columbus Veterans Hall back in the 1980s...
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Scott

Columbus blows it again

Post by Scott »

So...how much money is Columbus going to lose directly and indirectly over time because they passed a meaningless "feel good" measure against lawful gun ownership?

How much has Columbus lost over the years since the last ban they passed (but since defeated) that caused the Ohio Gun Collectors Association to permanently move their huge monthly gun show from Vets Memorial to Cleveland?

Oh, but that's okay! They had other big money makers come to town like Ameriflora and Son of Heaven! Will Water Fire be any more successfull?

Columbus voters must be very proud of their councilmen tonight!
[It sure looks like the lunatics are running the asylum!!] :lol:
Blip!
Tango

Post by Tango »

geez columbus is rather unfriendly to gun owners.. first they added a second check to purchase a handgun in the city limits (which is why i had to go to a suburb to get my last gun, didnt wanna mess around with all the running around) and now this.. the federal government lets the assault weapons ban go away and columbus thinks it knows better than the feds and adds one of their own.. as much as I really wanted the NRA convention here in ohio, im happy to sacrifice it to send a message to those commies in the columbus government who feel the need to step on the rights of law abiding citizens.. im just glad i live out in BFE now, where i can still have the guns of my choice, i can get em today, and i can still smoke in restaurants and bars.. what are they gonna tell you that you can't do next??
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

In addition to the $20+ million that the City Council's AWB decision is going to cost the Columbus area economy, there will be additional costs incurred by the City trying to defend this piece of legislation, that has been found unconstitutional twice before, from various law suits. What a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

The people of Columbus, if they are paying attention to what is going on, have to be kicking themselves for voting these people into office. :oops:
lfrost2125

NRA Convention pulled from Columbus!

Post by lfrost2125 »

I never knew this coalition was here in toledo. Thank god I don't live in that anti-gun city. As far as I'm concerned the mayor is a moron, The blade mostly prints total lies and thats why I won't subscribe to their paper and i've told them that.
"Let me not mourn for men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heros have lived" ----- General George S. Patton Jr.