Lessons of longtime CCW...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lessons of longtime CCW...

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Any broken down car stories and I'll offer to use my AAA to have them towed. Offered at least a dozen times with no takers.

Any sick or injured stories and I'll offer to call an ambulance. Offered 3 or 4 times with no takers.

Any hungry/homeless stories and I'll offer to buy them food at the nearest fast food joint. Offered at least 6 times with no takers and one "F--- you."

On two separate occasions, I have heard honest stories. Both were back in the 80's.

Working at a fast food restaurant, I saw a lady with a sign saying, "Homeless. Need food." We went out to find out her story. She said her kids needed to eat and, sure enough, she had a van full of kids. She didn't want handouts, so we had her do some cleaning while we fed her kids, then sent her on her way with enough burgers for the next day.

The other time, I was working a late-night shift for a vending company, pulled into a convenience store and a young lady came up and asked for a ride. She mistook the company logo for a cab logo. She told me she had been 'dropped off' by her friends in a not-so-great part of town. When I told her I wasn't a cab, she started to walk away. I offered to pay for a cab ride for her and she took me up on the offer.

Nowadays? I'm far too cynical to believe most stories.

Even today at the Patriot's Day celebration at the Statehouse, a guy came up to the crowd, had 2 quarters in his hand and asked each person if they had a dollar so he could catch his bus. No one had any cash or coins to give him. So sad.

I watched him the entire time (we were just 100 feet from the bus stop) and no one gave this guy any money. I still don't understand how he managed to board that bus. :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Even today at the Patriot's Day celebration at the Statehouse, a guy came up to the crowd, had 2 quarters in his hand and asked each person if they had a dollar so he could catch his bus. No one had any cash or coins to give him. So sad.

I watched him the entire time (we were just 100 feet from the bus stop) and no one gave this guy any money. I still don't understand how he managed to board that bus. :roll:

I was watching from across the way and when that guy started speaking to you you turned away from him and checked your six.
I mentioned it to you later and you said something about looking for his partners, one to distract while others attack

And that, my friends, is your long time CCW lesson of the day,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It may be different in other (big) cities but I'm told that down here, Queen City Metro won't throw off a rider for non-payment. The drivers are not supposed to be confrontational in the least, liability concerns and allegations of discrimination, you know. So I don't feel guilty about saying no to people asking for bus fare.

Wish I could be less cynical and more compassionate, but like MyWifeSaidYes posted, the number of made up stories far exceed the true tales of life taking a bad turn.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yesterday has me close to swearing off downtown Cincinnati. Parked at a meter, got out, started fishing in my pocket for quarters. In the space of 30 seconds, was panhandled by FOUR (new term, coined by friend who works down there) "malt liquor zombies". Foolishly I'd left my pepper spray in the drivers door map pocket. Made a rather showy gesture of retrieving it. This didn't sit well with the MLZ's. Realized I needed to park someplace else, did so.

Fed up to my eyeballs with these folks.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Brian D. wrote:Yesterday has me close to swearing off downtown Cincinnati. Parked at a meter, got out, started fishing in my pocket for quarters. In the space of 30 seconds, was panhandled by FOUR (new term, coined by friend who works down there) "malt liquor zombies". Foolishly I'd left my pepper spray in the drivers door map pocket. Made a rather showy gesture of retrieving it. This didn't sit well with the MLZ's. Realized I needed to park someplace else, did so.

Fed up to my eyeballs with these folks.
Okay, I'm not without a sense of humor. Here's what I wanted to do when the "bum's rush" occurred Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3GGKF6CsjY

:lol:

mreising

Post by mreising »

Brian D. wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:
Tru-Heathen wrote:Or eventually he'll get a "hot fix" with fentanyl in it and the problem goes away for good.

(I realize that may not be "P.C."... file it under oh well.)

Maybe not with norcam being readily accessible now... Which I strongly disagree with, it sends a message of keep on using. Just have some antidote with ya.. Personally, I think junkies should get one chance at being revived by first responders.. If they don't learn their lesson then... They're SOL when they OD the second time.. I have no sympathy for junkies, they put themselves in the hell they live in.
How do you suggest we in emergency medicine sort out those who have had their "once chance" at resuscitation from those who haven't? Branding? ID chip in their skin? We get calls about unconscious people sometimes where no one makes mention of the cause. And perhaps the needles etc. have been put out of sight. So we do push Narcan at some point during the respiratory/cardiac arrest protocol, and supposing that's when they come back around? Are we supposed to say "Hey, wait a minute, you OD'd on us a couple months ago, we thought it was a heart attack this time. Fred, get me a scalpel, I'm retrieving our Narcan out of this guy!"
I'm with Bama45 on this one: Once in a lifetime. My thought has been that once the Narcan is administered, a second syringe be used to implant an RFID chip, like they use to identify lost dogs. Just scan them before you revive them. I know, it's not practical, and it's also heartless, but I really am getting tired of allowing these people to continue to pollute the gene pool. [/rant]
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mreising wrote:... and it's also heartless ...
It's not "heartless", it's "tough love".
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I will pass the RFID suggestion along. Even if my agency thinks it's wonderful, it isn't palatable to the medical authority we work under. They seem to believe that there is no limit to the value of even the most self-destructive human beings.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Little bit different topic today, but this thread has changed course many times before, so no big deal. Just noticed last night that one Cincy area hospital has now gone with armed security for the first time, in fact I think they are actually sworn LEOs. We were taking a patent there and I happen to notice a uniformed, armed gent who sort of met us just outside the Emergency dept. entrance. His overriding concern was that we immediately shut off the ambulance, because for some reason these hospitals love to put outside air intakes right over the top of loading docks. "Well, let us get the patient out before I shut off the rig and kill the interior lights, okay?" was my reply.

As it turns out, my partner and I knew the officer, he has held and lost at least three municipal police jobs in the last several years. (I had sort of forgotten the dude, to be honest.) First impression #1, not good. Then I took a second to look at his uniform, firearm, and other gear after we got inside. Every bit of it was from the lowest bidder. Gun was a S&W SD9(?) VE, holster some sort of nylon nightmare with no retention other than simple thumb snap. The belt was leather but seemed neither thick nor strong enough to keep the stuff on it from sagging. Uniform was...I don't know, Dickies work shirt and pants, maybe. First impression #2, not good. He also had no body armor. Yeah, that's strike three in my book, all by itself.

My partner and I were trying to recall later why he'd lost those previous jobs. We seemed to remember that in one case it was because he could not pass the OPOTA handgun qualification course, repeatedly, or so we'd been told.

I don't even know what the takeaway from this is, or if there's anything worthwhile in it for this board. Just thought I'd share while it was still fresh in my mind.

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

Some years ago, a local hospital system (multiple buildings on multiple campuses) laid off their in-house Security folks (retired LEO's, part-time LEO's, and a bunch of rentals with experience).

They then hired an Agency to provide staff, at a reduced price.

As a rental, I hate to bring this up - it could have been a serious improvement in the Agency's status. But they tended to hire poorly, and at reduced pay scales. Within a couple weeks, the Security folks actually helped somebody steal a car.... (The main hospital is in a somewhat difficult area. No idea how that theft went down.)

Prior, they had spent a pile (maybe $100/sign) posted the heck out of their buildings, but made no effort to screen those coming in.

If possible, I stay away....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So, yesterday our friend JediSkipdogg reported on social media that he'd tripped, fallen, and broken his right (strong side) wrist. Along with wishing him a speedy recovery, I asked if he'd listened to ol' Brian D.'s oft-given advice about having an off side holster among his gun gear already, just in case of an injury like that. Yes, and he has made a habit through the years of doing some weak-side only shooting. Hooray!

Again, JSd, get well soon, and completely.

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Pocket holster takes care of that......I fell last Dec. and couldn't use my right hand....carried my Solo in my left pocket.

Get well Jedi...

Brian...What would we do w/o you ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I have learned much from those who carried before Ohio passed the CHL law, Carmen. Just trying to keep paying that knowledge forward. We have new people entering our ranks everyday.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cooler weather starting to arrive. Another layer of clothes means more pockets. For me, more pockets means the can of pepper spray can come along all the time.

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

Includes "where the heck did my wife put my jacket?"....

Her usual answer is "I have it."

Lotta help there.... :D

Great concept, though. Back in the day, too, it meant a bigger gun - easier to conceal. Nowadays, though, since "plain sight" went away, I don't worry about that anymore.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם