Lessons of longtime CCW...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Lessons of longtime CCW...

Post by Brian D. »

Yesterday, about 5pm, the Speedway gas station in Covington, Ky. I walk in just before a man and woman pair of substance abusers/grifters/panhandlers set up shop just a few feet away from the front doors. By the time I'm in line with my soft drink, the manager has seen them. With an annoyed look on her face, she tapped loudly on the window glass where they were standing. Soon as the couple outside turned to look, manager gave them the baseball umpire "You're out!" signal with her thumb, didn't say a word. They quickly got to their car, which was neither broken down nor out of gas, and vamoosed. I'm sure the manager and those two have history together, wish the place had been slow enough for me to ask about it.

So I get to my vehicle just as a tow truck shows up. The operator very quickly hooked up a car with Texas plates that was parked in a corner of the lot, not far from me. I took a minute to ask him about that, he looked in kind of a hurry. Apparently it had been left there by some local ne'er-do-well, its ownership status was questionable at best, and that same store manager was tired of looking at it after a couple of days.

This manager may climb the ladder to the top of the company, or get fired for being bold enough to keep the troublesome elements off the property, I don't know. But these days, it seems there are less and less businesses that will take the necessary steps to address such problems.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Yesterday, about 5pm, the Speedway gas station in Covington, Ky. I walk in just before a man and woman pair of substance abusers/grifters/panhandlers set up shop just a few feet away from the front doors. By the time I'm in line with my soft drink, the manager has seen them. With an annoyed look on her face, she tapped loudly on the window glass where they were standing. Soon as the couple outside turned to look, manager gave them the baseball umpire "You're out!" signal with her thumb, didn't say a word. They quickly got to their car, which was neither broken down nor out of gas, and vamoosed. I'm sure the manager and those two have history together, wish the place had been slow enough for me to ask about it.

So I get to my vehicle just as a tow truck shows up. The operator very quickly hooked up a car with Texas plates that was parked in a corner of the lot, not far from me. I took a minute to ask him about that, he looked in kind of a hurry. Apparently it had been left there by some local ne'er-do-well, its ownership status was questionable at best, and that same store manager was tired of looking at it after a couple of days.

This manager may climb the ladder to the top of the company, or get fired for being bold enough to keep the troublesome elements off the property, I don't know. But these days, it seems there are less and less businesses that will take the necessary steps to address such problems.
I remember people screaming at me because I would have their cars towed from my parking lot when I was still practicing. Despite the sign warning them, they would park there and often in such a way that blocked clients from being able to park. It never bothered me, though one did call the police on me and waited until the officer arrived to explain that I was completely within my rights. People just feel they are entitled any more.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I have that problem on my lot all the time....thinking about hiring someone to stand Gaurd with a M60. SIgns don't matter to them.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I have that problem on my lot all the time....thinking about hiring someone to stand Gaurd with a M60. SIgns don't matter to them.
Where can I submit my application?

You're supplying gun and ammo, right? :P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I have that problem on my lot all the time....thinking about hiring someone to stand Gaurd with a M60. SIgns don't matter to them.
An M2 is much more effective.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

schmieg wrote:
An M2 is much more effective.
To heavy to carry it up on the roof..
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TSiWRX wrote:
Where can I submit my application?

You're supplying gun and ammo, right? :P
6073 Turney Rd.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Coulda' just said "my shop!" :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

my shop.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:Yesterday, about 5pm, the Speedway gas station in Covington, Ky.
Was that the one on 4th St or 5th St.?
Brian D. wrote:...I'm sure the manager and those two have history together,...
I can guarantee you she has. I've been working for Speedway since November of last year and, yes, you got to know the regulars. The regular great customers, the regular 'I have no sense of humor' customers, and the regular troublemakers.
Brian D. wrote:...This manager may climb the ladder to the top of the company, or get fired for being bold enough to keep the troublesome elements off the property, I don't know. But these days, it seems there are less and less businesses that will take the necessary steps to address such problems.
The General Manager of a Speedway store has a great deal of autonomy beyond the company policies. If there isn't a company policy, there seems to be an un-written rule of 'do what you want...but don't get us sued'. Of course, there are district and regional managers to keep a rogue manager in check, but that's about it.

A manager that doesn't keep their store clean and under control will not survive the periodic inspections and evaluations.

It sounds like this store has a good manager.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Yesterday, about 5pm, the Speedway gas station in Covington, Ky.
Was that the one on 4th St or 5th St.?
Forgot to get back to this. It was the one on 4th Street. Bigger store and parking lot may = more problems.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yesterday started out fun. Went out to breakfast, realizing when the check came that my wallet was at home about a mile away. Guess what two state-issued licenses were in it? Unloaded gun before securing it in the car before returning to the house. Bad enough to be behind the wheel without my driver's license for the ride, wasn't about to tempt the fickle finger of fate any more than that..

Face

Post by Face »

Brian D. wrote:Yesterday started out fun. Went out to breakfast, realizing when the check came that my wallet was at home about a mile away. Guess what two state-issued licenses were in it? Unloaded gun before securing it in the car before returning to the house. Bad enough to be behind the wheel without my driver's license for the ride, wasn't about to tempt the fickle finger of fate any more than that..

Had that happen to me one - went back to the car, removed the spare pocket holster and inserted firearm, handed to the wife. Wife was now purse and on--body carrying.

I felt naked.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm late in posting this annual nag, but it hasn't been all that cold around here so far: Do any of your coats/jackets have drawstrings? Could they mess up getting a gun out if you need it? If you don't know the answer, take some time and figure it out.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Was down in Covington Kentucky this afternoon, watching a scene being filmed for the upcoming new movie about Ted Bundy. The crew broke for lunch. I was gawking at the period correct cars parked along Main Street. (This part of the film would be Aspen Colorado in 1975, where Bundy escaped the courthouse during trial.) Anyhow, a thirty something set assistant said hello and then asked about concealed/open firearms carry in Kentucky and Ohio. I was carrying concealed, and the gun is pretty well covered. So I answered his questions, then asked him how he knew. Well, he has a carry license back home (I forgot to ask where) , and he uses a 5.11 Instructors belt, same as mine.

That is the first time (I ever became aware of) when the belt was a "giveaway" of my possible armed status. So yes, being "the invisible man" doesn't work every time, with everybody. But it's a pretty rare thing overall.