Lessons of longtime CCW...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Lessons of longtime CCW...

Post by Brian D. »

This morning found me in downtown Cincinnati, having some breakfast in Garfield/Piatt park near the main public library. As some of you may have read, the city has shut down and fenced off the place where the greatest number of homeless folks have set up camp, down around 3rd Street. So, things are in flux for them, and some are hanging around in new-to-them areas, trying to establish "their" turf. Apparently this little park is now home to some of these folks, although they didn't have tents pitched or even much "luggage" there yet. Seems they didn't like me being there, and one was very vocal. Insults I can ignore, but as I walked past (towards the nearest trash can, to throw away my takeout box), one made a threat regarding "stickin' a .357 up yo' a**, an' see how you like it!" No, I wasn't open carrying, the Glock was very well concealed, he was just trying to scare me or goad me into a fight.

I couldn't resist mentioning that since all I had was a nine millimeter, he'd have to provide his own gun to carry out that threat, and it might not turn out the way he thought. One of his cohorts seemed to realize I wasn't kidding around, and told him (very harshly) to "Shut the f*** up, man, he mean it!"

After getting the trash thrown away, I just shook my head at the group, and said "Going around threatening people ends real bad sometimes". Talked to a bicycle cop a half hour later, a few blocks away. He stated that it was hard keeping track right now regarding where certain of the homeless were staking out new spots. He also seemed to "know" those individuals, when I gave him a description. "Oh, so that's where they are now, wonderful", or words to that effect. He actually wrote himself a note about them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

1. Drawstrings: REMOVE THEM - particularly from your kids clothes. They're a choking hazard if snagged on something.

2. Stay out of Cincy.... :D

3. One thing that really frosts me is that sometimes the NRA has some good stuff, but they like to put their logo on it in letters that even a blind man might see (or at least it seems like that :) ). SO, with OH's goofy CPZ laws ("You can't go in here except on alternate Wednesdays in months with a 'Q' in their name") do you really want to be that visible? I don't always agree with them, but I'm an NRA "lifer", and proud of it. But I sure wouldn't want to get nailed because I wandered into the wrong store at the Mall....

Same goes for the belts, I guess, although only "us" and some LE probably would notice. Maybe time to re-think the "Wilderness Trainer" that I use for EDC....

Why I missed this: My little sister passed on Valentine's Day last February. Two trips to Columbus.... Becka called and told us to hurry on down, and about halfway there she called again: "Slow down".... Meantime, the car did a melt-down just a little out of Columbus. Fortunately, adding a quart of oil seemed to fix things well enough to hang around there for a couple days, and then we limped home. We had to go back for the Funeral, and I rented a car. I still haven't fixed the old Caddy, but it's been more or less behaving. That pretty well sucked up February.... Meantime, the foot doctor taped up my legs, which twisted them and messed up my coccyx at the same time. I still have trouble with stairs, and haven't been able to hit the range for months. Someday....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hi Stu. That time someone noticed my belt (really, just the buckle) and connected it to carry is the ONLY time it's ever happened, outside of a range. In warm weather my shirt drapes over it completely, belt is invisible.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This week I donated some old clothes to charity. Bought a light weight jacket today. Got rid of the waist level drawstring.
All of you who pay attention to my ramblings on this forum know why.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This Alberta Clipper weather is not my idea of fun! So, if you're out in it for whatever reason, stay safe and warm. Also, make sure you can still get to that carry gun, in spite of being bundled up like Randy in A Christmas Story. By the way, have you ever practiced drawing and firing it while wearing gloves?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:This Alberta Clipper weather is not my idea of fun! So, if you're out in it for whatever reason, stay safe and warm. Also, make sure you can still get to that carry gun, in spite of being bundled up like Randy in A Christmas Story. By the way, have you ever practiced drawing and firing it while wearing gloves?
Tried the drawing with gloves but couldn't stay between the lines very good....and no I have never fired anyone while wearing gloves.. :D
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

And now for some summertime advice: If you're out in the heat, perspiration is the normal result. Perspiration = rust as far as your handgun is concerned. Take a look every day!

JEaton

Post by JEaton »

And if your holster has any leather, buy a second identical one so you can let it dry completely each day

JLE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

To expound a little: The polymer won't rust, obviously. But every part made of steel can, and will. I'll admit the finishes of many slides nowadays are highly RESISTANT, but not rustproof.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Seems like I haven't written about encountering an "assertive" panhandler for a good while. This morning I was in Walnut Hills, a long-struggling Cincinnati neighborhood. First stop was a United Dairy Farmers for fuel. Older lady approached my ride at the gas pump, before I could open the door. My window was down just enough to hear some mumbling, followed by a clear request for spare change. Shook my head no and asked her to step back. She walked away.
Went inside, paid, fueled up. She approached again, another friendly decline.

Next stop was a great breakfast spot two blocks away. She walked in as I was paying at the counter. Waitress reminded her she was barred from there, but she mumbled another request for spare change in my direction.

"I already said no twice, over at UDF", was my response. She then became quite upset and very clearly cursed me before storming out.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Restaurant owner told me that this lady has been jailed put on psychiatric holds several times, but never for more than a few days. I'd say she needs long term mental health institutionalization, but we don't have that these days.

Jude3

Post by Jude3 »

Thanks guys all for info!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Haven't posted in here since February. Wow have things changed! From a situational awareness perspective, sadly not for the better. I'll make one point and let others chime in: Downtown Cincinnati is practically a ghost town (more like Zombieland) nowadays. Office buildings mostly empty, and the businesses which depended on those customers are gone or hanging on by a shoestring in many cases. And from what I read, entertainment districts get pretty dicey soon after the Governor mandated 10pm "last call".

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I bought a new 5.11 brand windbreaker jacket from Vance Outdoors, since the new location down here had some tremendous clearance deals going on clothes like Carhartt and other big name makers. So this jacket has outside pockets that can also be accessed via interior zippers. The idea being, you could reach through the pocket and have your hand on a belt-holstered gun without anyone being able to see what you were doing. Cool idea, supposedly Wyatt Earp had a frock coat set up like that.

But I did have to laugh, because the jacket also featured* a drawstring, right where it could impede a normal draw.

*Yeah, "featured". I removed the cord and saved it for use as a shoelace or something. :)

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Saw an interesting road rage situation yesterday. I was behind a little Hyundai that turned left from the side street we were on, safely ahead of a motorist coming from the right that was driving too fast, honestly . So I turn left behind that guy and watched him lean on the horn and follow the first guy into a store lot down the street a bit. I was right behind the jackass and witnessed the hostile behavior. I followed both of them into a Kroger parking lot, because that was my destination anyway.