AAR: Fundamentals and Accuracy - Cleves, OH 27JUN2020

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

AAR: Fundamentals and Accuracy - Cleves, OH 27JUN2020

Post by jeep45238 »

27JUN2020
AAR - Fundamentals and Accuracy course - Recommended ammo amount - 500
Impact Shooting Center - Cleves, OH
Weather - overcast, some sun, high humidity, several rain events
Ammo - 115gr S&B 9mm, no issues
Pistol - H&K VP9, Holosun 407C on HKs plate system, no issues
Darkstar Gear Orion holster, JM Custom AIWB mag carrier - both performed quite well

Problem weapons noted - 2
self-disassembling Glock 17 Gen 5 - heavily stippled frame, easy to crush the grip, large amount of wear on the take-down ‘tab’, apex trigger unit, RMR, Trijicon suppressor height night sights
Light strikes, Glock 17 Gen 4 - lighter striker spring for reduced trigger pressure, caused 4-5 light primer strikers per magazine

Blatantly stealing Short Barrel Shepherd’s 3x3 format

3 things covered -
- Round accountability, using 4” and 1” circle targets throughout the day
- Efficiency in technique, leading to increased accuracy and if desired speed
- Subtleties in stance/grip refinement, and credit given where credit is due

3 things learned -
- Garment clearance and draw efficiency are easy to combine, and lead to a lot less fishing for the dot
- Changing my foot placement lead to increased recoil mitigation and ease of movement
- Reloads and magazine changes can be done more efficiently with a changed order of operation

3 things I’ll be changing
-The path my pistol takes from the holster and my line of sight to the target
-Order of operations for magazine changes
-Modifying magazine release paddle profile to better accommodate modified grip

Shane is the owner and a good instructor in his own right, and a shooter with the round count to match, hours under the right types of trainers, and the right drive for teaching. His motivation is about the student, as an individual, rather than checking all the boxes on some form. His communication is serious when needed, direct, simple, helpful, and relaxed. Someone who can shoot well, but can’t describe why they do things at several layers deep is typically not a good instructor; Shane was able to explain the why behind his famous baseball cap choice when asked about it.

The course is about accuracy and efficiency - a timer wasn’t brought out today at all. That might sound silly, but when trying to address deficiencies in technique, removing the stress of timers allows focus on the change for the student to experiment with. Accuracy accountability, partner drills, and precision of both motion and shot impact were stressed during the duration of the day.

Fundamentals and Accuracy is a good base to build a foundation from, and to revisit the basics as a verification of progress in more advanced levels. Skill levels from extreme novice to mid-level competition shooters were all present and worked on individually. Modifications of technique for shooter’s interfaces to guns, and gear selection were all addressed, and the limits/capabilities of equipment was found for some students.

http://impactshootingcenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Re: AAR: Fundamentals and Accuracy - Cleves, OH 27JUN2020

Post by Brian D. »

jeep45238 wrote: Problem weapons noted - 2
self-disassembling Glock 17 Gen 5 - heavily stippled frame, easy to crush the grip, large amount of wear on the take-down ‘tab’, apex trigger unit, RMR, Trijicon suppressor height night sights
Light strikes, Glock 17 Gen 4 - lighter striker spring for reduced trigger pressure, caused 4-5 light primer strikers per magazine.
Got to ask: Were those the everyday carry guns of the owners? If so, did they seem embarrassed or a little seasick?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:
jeep45238 wrote: Problem weapons noted - 2
Light strikes, Glock 17 Gen 4 - lighter striker spring for reduced trigger pressure, caused 4-5 light primer strikers per magazine.
Got to ask: Were those the everyday carry guns of the owners? If so, did they seem embarrassed or a little seasick?
Both were daily carry - both were talking up their Guuci Glocks. Self disassembly gun was performed by someone who doesn't work full time in polymer frame modification, and it was easy to deform the grip far more than a stock gun (sans magazine). All but 1 or 2 Guuci student guns had some issues, from not wanting to go fully into battery (too light of a recoil spring, barrel not fully fitted, etc.). Self-dissassembly guy was physically shaking from the pressure of undoing years of Army-knows-best- and got worse and worse with his gun problems. I put my stock G17 frame on his upper and it functioned perfectly for the rest of the day.

Every one of them thought my stock VP9 shot better, felt better, and tracked better in recoil than their Glocks. The Glocks started $150-250 less than the HK brand new, but wound up being an extra $800-1500 over the HK when it was all said and done.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Your account doesn't surprise me. I got a VERY similar story from 15-20 years ago, again Glock vs. HK. But, it was my stock Glock 17 against owner-modded HK USPs.

Guess who came out on top THAT weekend? :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:Your account doesn't surprise me. I got a VERY similar story from 15-20 years ago, again Glock vs. HK. But, it was my stock Glock 17 against owner-modded HK USPs.

Guess who came out on top THAT weekend? :lol:
They've both great guns - but personal opinion, the VP9 does, out of the box, what folks are trying to make their Glock's do (with varying results). But then again, USP's are cool, but......I'd rather have a P30 or HK45.

Interesting to me, that with the same load, the VP9 gets an extra 50ish fps out of the bullet than a gen 5 Glock 17, which runs a longer barrel. It also has a cool fireball when shot indoors with that ammo, which the Glock doesn't :lol:

-Important distinction