Training group?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

stretchec

Training group?

Post by stretchec »

Any group of people out there around central Ohio that regularly train together? I've been doing a lot of classes but looking to do something more frequent and that can get more in depth and advanced. Would love a group of enthusiasts that regularly get together to run through drills and tactics. Anyone?
Brian D.

Re: Training group?

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. Bit of a drive for you, but I'm part of a group that meets north of Xenia most every Sunday afternoon, year round. We use cardboard and steel targets and run drills that are usually 10 rounds or less each. Some are a bit longer, with mandatory reloads. We write down the scores/times but nobody adds them up. We run the range "hot", so as to have more trigger time without all the "load"/"unload and show clear" commands that are part of matches. Timer/range officer asks if you are ready, and hits the buzzer unless you say "no". Everybody has a CHL, and we mostly work from concealment, unless it's pretty hot out.

The range goes around 40 yards, with safe backstops in almost every direction (gotta park the cars somewhere, no muzzles pointing that way please). Normally we stick with handguns, but occasionally we'll bring shotguns or rifles along and drill with them some. We'll normally stay about 3 hours. I've been going there for over 25 years, and some of the gang, much longer than that.

PM me or ask questions here if you're interested.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Brian, that sounds AMAZING. And I'll bet the folks who do that session regularly are in the 99th percentile of safe and effective gun handlers in the country.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
stretchec

Post by stretchec »

Thanks for the info Brian. Wish I was closer, about an hour and a half each way would be a bit much. At least that's what my wife and kids will say. :) Otherwise I'd love to come check it out.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:Brian, that sounds AMAZING. And I'll bet the folks who do that session regularly are in the 99th percentile of safe and effective gun handlers in the country.
The "founding members" of my group all attended Gunsite when Jeff Cooper ran it. (So did I, a decade or so after them.) A few helped start USPSA/IPSC matches a little before my time as a gun owner.

Everybody pitches in with drill ideas, sharpening skills is the goal. My experience as a match director/stage designer who stole every good idea I ever saw keeps me in their good graces.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.