You carry a tourniquet?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

You carry a tourniquet?

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. After the Fifth Third Bank shooting in downtown Cincinnati in September, I do. I go right by there, that time of day, two or three times a week. Got me thinking. Turns out not that many of the patrolling cops have them on their person, they're usually in the nearest patrol vehicle.

Many defensive trainers highly recommend doing so, and knowing how to use a TQ, one handed even. The life/limb you save may be your own.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bearable

Re: You carry a tourniquet?

Post by Bearable »

New time poster. Would not Direct pressure work better for a gunshot wound?
tbram88

Post by tbram88 »

I have a few TK4 tourniquets, I keep one in my truck, one in my range bag, and one in my plate carrier.
Hopefully I will never need one.

All the best, Bob.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. -Thomas Jefferson

Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way. -Metallica (No Leaf Clover)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Bearable wrote:New time poster. Would not Direct pressure work better for a gunshot wound?
All depends on where the wound is. Generally if it's in a limb you're better off cinching that sucker down. Arterial bleeding causes death in under two minutes. Just how well do you think you'll be able to keep enough pressure on it to make it stop? If it's just you the answer is "not very."

To Brian's question, I carry a CAT on my person while on duty plus an extra in my duty bag. I also have one in my personal vehicle but don't carry it on my person unless I'm at the range.
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

Brian D. wrote: ....... Many defensive trainers highly recommend doing so, and knowing how to use a TQ, one handed even. The life/limb you save may be your own.
I recently found a gem of an instructional video on using tourniquets, wound packing, etc

https://youtu.be/PF5GhoYKK3g

It's a little over 3 hours of solid instruction

You can also find and sign up for FREE training around the country at ... https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/