Now what?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tactical_swizz

Now what?

Post by tactical_swizz »

For as long as I have owned firearms I have been shooting over at my father's house. He has about 14 acres, and we built a nice shooting range on the property back when I was in high school. It's a beautiful piece of property, and beyond what he owns is all cornfields. We've been doing everything from "run and guns" to shooting out to 300 yards for probably about 8 years now. It's been so long since I've been to a square range, and I have no desire to go to a square range...

I just found out yesterday that the cornfields behind my father's house have been sold, and the plan is to build the new elementary school there... About 500 yards away from our current shooting range... At this point, I figure we have a year, maybe two left of shooting out there before the school is completed. I would assume that a school within 500 yards is a no go.

Sounds like I need to lease some property somewhere else...
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Now what?

Post by WY_Not »

The restriction (against carry or discharge) does not apply to private property.

They might get a bit wound up the first time you are out there shooting but you were there first and within your rights and the law.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Exceptions to possession:
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B):

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Exceptions to discharge:
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(3)(B):

[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(3)(A)] does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Fire away whenever you wish to. I'd hesitate to shoot during recess and lunch period though. :|

You might want to plan on shooting as they are building and the days leading up to the first day of school so they are used to you shooting on adjacent property and do so safely. Also, if they are concerned they can address the issue with you and their staff and also if the sheriff is called, he's not coming out in a panic about a school shooting.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Javelin Man wrote:Fire away whenever you wish to. I'd hesitate to shoot during recess and lunch period though. :|

You might want to plan on shooting as they are building and the days leading up to the first day of school so they are used to you shooting on adjacent property and do so safely. Also, if they are concerned they can address the issue with you and their staff and also if the sheriff is called, he's not coming out in a panic about a school shooting.
That may depend on how anti the school personnel are. They may call about a school shooting even if they know it's on a range on nearby property just to cause people problems. However, I suspect the sheriff will catch on quickly.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

''For as long as I have owned firearms I have been shooting over at my father's house. He has about 14 acres, and we built a nice shooting range on the property... .... I have no desire to go to a square range...

I just found out yesterday that the cornfields behind my father's house have been sold, and the plan is to build the new elementary school there... About 500 yards away from...
''

Now what?

Since it's not your property and you didn't say, what does good father think of it all??

Things going BOOM at or around any school are immediately high profile due to all the nut jobs shooting up our kids. I would consult with an attorney. I suggest a well worded brief, concise letter stating activities on your (father's) property, frequency, and how long you've been doing all that. Upon attorney review / consult, I would mail copies (or if you actually pay attorney, have them do it) to any and all persons in-the-loop such as, sheriff, county commissioners, county super-duper school person or school bored; all parties said attorney sees fit to notify.

Hopefully the ''a nice shooting range'' that has been built years ago has a sufficient backstop/berm to catch rounds, i.e. ''XXX'' feet high, ''XXX'' wide etc. If you get a green light from attorney on this methodology (letter etc.) and the berm isn't sufficient I would suggest revamping it immediately.

I would also strongly encourage you to start documenting your shooting er, target practice frequencies with pictures or writing it down such as on a wall calendar. Saying you've been shooting er, practicing ''for a long time'' is nice, being able to prove it is nicer

If they have been formally notified in writing I cannot see where they could have a complaint in the future. Or even if they are anti, cause problems. Well, at least that would come to any fruition. The only ''give'' I would concede would be a good-neighbor phone call to a designated contact at the school , we are practicing tonight at 6/pm or something similar. Shucks I've done more then that while hunting, txt letting the landowners neighbors know, do they have dogs we should be aware of etc. Not permission...notification. Courtesy.

Good luck!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

My apologies to the OP

I clearly read your post where it said ^^ 500 YARDS but my brain mea culpa'd :shock: it into...500 FEET.

If your impact area is not towards the new school property I wouldn't sweat it at all. Although perhaps this would be a great time to review your range, berm height, 1st aid box etc
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good