Mas Ayoob had a ND during a class :(

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Mas Ayoob had a ND during a class :(

Post by M-Quigley »

Speaking of Mas Ayoob, he became a living example of complacency with gun safety rules during a class this year. :( Fortunitely no one was injured and the class (including himself) hopefully learned something about gun safety because of it.

http://ballisticradio.com/2018/05/26/wh ... at-mag-40/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Re: Mas Ayoob had a ND during a class :(

Post by Brian D. »

He wrote it up very quickly in his own blog, and encouraged writers/bloggers who were present to do the same.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The local instructor who hosted also posted-up a very good reflection/mea-culpa.

The lessons I learned from this was that the bystander effect, the desire for group conformity and the pressures of herd mentality are all very real, as is our society-taught/learned behavior of deferring to or obeying authority.

I've yet to have this happen on the range or in training, but I have seen it in action in first-person at work a long time ago, where I deferred to the expertise of two (much more) senior scientists in the design of an experiment. Fast forward 8 weeks later as the experiment was coming to a close, my boss asked: "Where's the control group?" To which I replied that there were none established at the beginning, based on the design of the two individuals who were responsible. That's when I learned the life lesson of never being afraid to speak up if I deem that something is wrong, no matter the powers that be.

I do not subscribe to the suggestion that all of us have "yet" to experience a non-intentional (be it negligent or otherwise) discharge: that as shooters, we've either had one or are bound to have one in our future.

But at the same time, I'm also not blind to the fact that I am just one complacent eyeblink away from having an unintentional discharge.

Reading about this kind of event is always humbling.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

TSiWRX wrote:The local instructor who hosted also posted-up a very good reflection/mea-culpa.

The lessons I learned from this was that the bystander effect, the desire for group conformity and the pressures of herd mentality are all very real, as is our society-taught/learned behavior of deferring to or obeying authority.

I've yet to have this happen on the range or in training, but I have seen it in action in first-person at work a long time ago, where I deferred to the expertise of two (much more) senior scientists in the design of an experiment. Fast forward 8 weeks later as the experiment was coming to a close, my boss asked: "Where's the control group?" To which I replied that there were none established at the beginning, based on the design of the two individuals who were responsible. That's when I learned the life lesson of never being afraid to speak up if I deem that something is wrong, no matter the powers that be.

I do not subscribe to the suggestion that all of us have "yet" to experience a non-intentional (be it negligent or otherwise) discharge: that as shooters, we've either had one or are bound to have one in our future.

But at the same time, I'm also not blind to the fact that I am just one complacent eyeblink away from having an unintentional discharge.

Reading about this kind of event is always humbling.
I totally agree with what you've said. What happened to him is a good teaching lesson for everyone.

So far I personally have experienced or witnessed at least 2 truly accidental discharges (round being chambered resulting in a slam fire) but both times the firearm was pointed downrange anyway. I don't believe a negligent discharge should ever be considered inevitable. Although I haven't yet had a NG, I realize that it could just as easily be me if I become complacent. The basic firearms safety rules are pretty simple but if you get complacent it can increase the chance of a NG, and a firearm doesn't care about someones previous experiences.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I am a big fan of Ayoob's writing, but not of him as a person.

That said...

It shows he has credibility (and back bone) that he used it as a teachable moment.

Well handled Mr. Ayoob.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.