Holsters..to cant or not to cant.

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Holsters..to cant or not to cant.

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I have been having a problem with the can't of my holster...not really a problem but can't make up my mind which to do...

My logic says one thing and my draw says another...I have had my EDC with outside paddle holste for years....just about a year ago I adjusted my holster with barrel pointing at 7 o'clock.....for some reason this seems to be faster...the front sight is closer to the target when you clear the holster verses when it is at 3 or 2.

WHat do you think.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Holsters..to cant or not to cant.

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I hate spell check..Would not let me put cant the way I wanted...
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

You have the choice to put it whereever you want. Kalifornia would probably pass a law stating you must have a forward butt cant, New Jersey wouldn't allow a cant.

I prefer an FBI cant, a decent forward lean to the gun so I don't have to lift it straight up to take it out of the holster. My shoulders have taken a beating driving race horses so I can't move as well as necessary.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It does depend on individual build and just how far back you carry. I also feel that a butt-forward cant hides the gun just a little better.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I prefer a little less than the full FBI cant of 15 degreees. Usually like mine around 10 degrees. Feels better to me but that might be from years with Raven's Phantom holsters.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:It does depend on individual build and just how far back you carry. I also feel that a butt-forward cant hides the gun just a little better.
^ This is really the long and short of it.

Try this, Carmen:

Make a "finger gun" and put it at your waistline. Pretend like you're grabbing a gun out of your holster, there, at whatever clocking around your waist that happens to be. Do this as naturally as possible, without any preconceived notions as to what you might want out of a holster/holster setup. Instead, let your body do the talking. :)

Now, trace this forward and back along your belt line, first from the 3 to the 12, and then from 3 towards the 6 (both assuming you're right-handed - if you're a lefty, mirror the clocking; both assume that you're drawing strong-side, though).

Pay attention to the angle your wrist makes as you trace these clock locations. That's pretty much how much "cant" you'll likely want at any of those locations.

Like Brian D. noted above, typically, shooters tend to the more severity of the cant the further towards the 6 they push the gun. Between the 12 and the 3 (on a right-handed shooter), the tendency is instead for a "zero-cant" or "straight-drop" setup.

But this is also highly variable in terms of personal preference, as based on just how your body is shaped/sized, and how your joints articulate - including injury/disease considerations. Javelin Man's post above is a great example, and Dave Spaulding, famously, is another (although his is a slightly "reversed" cant).

Finally, as Brian points out, the cant can also interact with concealment. Larger guns tend to conceal better with a bit more cant, but at the same time, if you get too extreme, the muzzle can jut out "behind," and that can also ruin one's concealment profile just as badly. :lol: Furthermore, it's also possible to play with the ride-height of the gun above the beltline by playing with the cant: a lower ride-height can be achieved with a more aggressive cant being used to allow for clearance of the grip away from the beltline, to insure a good, dominant grip coming out of the holster in a fight.

There's really no right or wrong - play with it, put yourself on a timer, do some combatives (even if it is just mock play with no real physical force, that's OK, too). The bigger things to look out for would be whether you're sweeping the muzzle across yourself or those surrounding you, as well as whether you have any special considerations when (re)holstering your gun, due to how you position the holster and the cover garment(s) you may be wearing (i.e. is your new setup close to a cinch-pull on your winter parka?).

:)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

For some reason I am more confortable with the cant back and the muzzle forward with my G19...For me the on target time is less..muzzle is in the forward position. Just like the cowboys do. 8)

When I carry my 9mm Shield I like no cant..
AV8TOR

Post by AV8TOR »

Javelin Man wrote:
I prefer an FBI cant, a decent forward lean to the gun so I don't have to lift it straight up to take it out of the holster.
Same here but remember it’s about concealment, comfort, and the ability to make a quick safe draw. Finding that balance is the individual goal.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

I have a belt line that's basically at my nipples, so a straight draw holster just...doesn't work. I have to have cant unless it's appendix. It's really dependent on your body geometry. I've also found that the further back (4:00 - 5:00) you go, the more comfortable and concealable a good cant is. Tucking the grip so it "cradles" the kidney is very concealable, especially for full sized (or just big) handguns. But it really comes down to body geometry and finding some that works for you.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

TSiWRX wrote:
Brian D. wrote:It does depend on individual build and just how far back you carry. I also feel that a butt-forward cant hides the gun just a little better.
^ This is really the long and short of it.

Try this, Carmen:

Make a "finger gun" and put it at your waistline. Pretend like you're grabbing a gun out of your holster, there, at whatever clocking around your waist that happens to be. Do this as naturally as possible, without any preconceived notions as to what you might want out of a holster/holster setup. Instead, let your body do the talking. :)

Now, trace this forward and back along your belt line, first from the 3 to the 12, and then from 3 towards the 6 (both assuming you're right-handed - if you're a lefty, mirror the clocking; both assume that you're drawing strong-side, though).

Pay attention to the angle your wrist makes as you trace these clock locations. That's pretty much how much "cant" you'll likely want at any of those locations.

Like Brian D. noted above, typically, shooters tend to the more severity of the cant the further towards the 6 they push the gun. Between the 12 and the 3 (on a right-handed shooter), the tendency is instead for a "zero-cant" or "straight-drop" setup.

But this is also highly variable in terms of personal preference, as based on just how your body is shaped/sized, and how your joints articulate - including injury/disease considerations. Javelin Man's post above is a great example, and Dave Spaulding, famously, is another (although his is a slightly "reversed" cant).

Finally, as Brian points out, the cant can also interact with concealment. Larger guns tend to conceal better with a bit more cant, but at the same time, if you get too extreme, the muzzle can jut out "behind," and that can also ruin one's concealment profile just as badly. :lol: Furthermore, it's also possible to play with the ride-height of the gun above the beltline by playing with the cant: a lower ride-height can be achieved with a more aggressive cant being used to allow for clearance of the grip away from the beltline, to insure a good, dominant grip coming out of the holster in a fight.

There's really no right or wrong - play with it, put yourself on a timer, do some combatives (even if it is just mock play with no real physical force, that's OK, too). The bigger things to look out for would be whether you're sweeping the muzzle across yourself or those surrounding you, as well as whether you have any special considerations when (re)holstering your gun, due to how you position the holster and the cover garment(s) you may be wearing (i.e. is your new setup close to a cinch-pull on your winter parka?).

:)

This is what I was going to type out, but in far more detail. I’ve found that the closer to 12 o’clock, the less cant, the farther away, the more cant. How much is individual.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction