If you start to fumble a gun...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

If you start to fumble a gun...

Post by Brian D. »

...let it drop. I got a good reminder of that this morning, during some draw/dryfire practice at home, with my thrice checked UNLOADED carry handgun. Decided to do a little avoidance sidestep during the draw a few times. Long story short on the third run, my Glock bumped into the arm of a chair, making me lose my grip. I was doing this at pretty much full speed, so the gun came out of my hand, bounced across the top of the chair back for a second or so, then hit the floor. At no time did I move so as to catch it, although some part of my brain wanted me to.

Glad my floors are carpeted, no harm done. Anyway, this told me that my years of practice have ingrained at least one good habit I wasn't even aware of.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Re: If you start to fumble a gun...

Post by Brian D. »

I don't start topics here every day, but maybe this one was so boring that nobody felt like replying?

Just a few weeks ago, a champion level IPSC shooter in Washington state lost his life from a negligent discharge after he tried to re-grab his own fumbled gun. That tells me the possibility exists for all of us that handle firearms.

********************************************************************************
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

How does one train himself NOT to grab something he dropped? :?:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Just let it go, Jav!

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Check your handguns design features, most modern handguns are designed to be 'drop safe', i.e., requires a trigger pull to fire. That mindset should serve to inhibit a "catch-it" reaction.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Check your handguns design features, most modern handguns are designed to be 'drop safe', i.e., requires a trigger pull to fire. That mindset should serve to inhibit a "catch-it" reaction.
On a conscious level, sure. A dropped item is often an instinctive subconscious reaction to grab so it's not so simple as that. You'd have to practice it (blue gun would be perfect for this) but you'd know it was coming in an exercise.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Blue gun is good for that, yes. Lots and lots of practice in general, especially with UNLOADED gun around the house. I've practiced this stuff in motel rooms when time allowed.

Couldn't tell you when NOT trying to re-grab the gun became my default mode; I'm not so klutzy that fumbles happen often. Maybe some of you will never have it happen.

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

pk47 wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:Check your handguns design features, most modern handguns are designed to be 'drop safe', i.e., requires a trigger pull to fire. That mindset should serve to inhibit a "catch-it" reaction.
On a conscious level, sure. A dropped item is often an instinctive subconscious reaction to grab so it's not so simple as that. You'd have to practice it (blue gun would be perfect for this) but you'd know it was coming in an exercise.
Maybe include in the practice a kick in the ankle to help remind the subconscious of the consequences of grabbing the trigger?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Javelin Man wrote:How does one train himself NOT to grab something he dropped? :?:
When was the last time you tried to grab a dropped knife?

;)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Javelin Man wrote:How does one train himself NOT to grab something he dropped? :?:
Drop a hot soldering pencil a few times off your workbench on a rolling ship at sea and you learn reasonably quickly.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

AlanM wrote:
Drop a hot soldering pencil a few times off your workbench on a rolling ship at sea and you learn reasonably quickly.
Or knives...
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Exactly - to both of the two above.

Just as we learn to try to catch certain falling objects, we can also train ourselves to not catch certain other falling objects.

Whether it's a handgun, a knife, a soldering iron, a syringe...it really doesn't matter, we simply have to train our mind to re-orient, when we are engaged in those tasks.

This is something that needs to be taught as a part of firearms safety. Similarly, I believe that everyone stepping foot onto a shooting range with a gun in their hand needs to be reminded of the fact that they could get a hot piece of brass down their shirt (or otherwise on their person) or even receive a piece of spall that deflected at just the right angle off the target or backstop, and that even though their first instinct may be to address the wound, they absolutely must be cognizant of the fact that they still have a firearm in their hands, and that their normal reactions may lead to tragedy:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/us/florid ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We know from driving every day that despite our best intentions, our hands follow where we look. Living in Ohio where snow and ice on the roadway is a possibility for nearly half the year, we understand - even though we may not have trained for - loss of traction under such conditions. We've all been taught to "look where we want the car to go, not where the car is headed." How many of us have avoided a crash because we remembered this, even though we may never have received formal skidpad or kick-plate training?

It's about being mindful of whatever your task is at the moment.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Having seen the dance done by a "well endowed" lady shooter with an open blouse when a piece of hot brass flies awry, I suspect that there is a opportunity for sales of a range accessory.

Maybe not knit, and possibly with a velcro closure in back much like a babies bib. Possibly with a pocket to catch the errant brass.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

AlanM wrote:Having seen the dance done by a "well endowed" lady shooter with an open blouse when a piece of hot brass flies awry, I suspect that there is a opportunity for sales of a range accessory.

Maybe not knit, and possibly with a velcro closure in back much like a babies bib. Possibly with a pocket to catch the errant brass.
Safety reasons aside, I would not encourage concealing anything of the like.... :D
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Brian D makes a great point...train / carry long enough, you'll drop a gun at some point.

One big reason why old- Colt SSA style Single Action wheelguns are Carry 5 with an empty chamber under the hammer.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member