Mr. Glock goes the distance- 1,000 Yards

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Mr. Glock goes the distance- 1,000 Yards

Post by Mr. Glock »

After about a year of trying to schedule a day at the 1,000 yard range with Shooterwolf, I rolled out of bed in Cleveland at 3 AM and headed down to southern Ohio to Rayner’s Range, about 3 hours away.

Up to this point, I had shot only to 200 yards. Today, we were going to work up to 1,000 yards. One of my personal shooting goals was to attempt to shoot 1,000 yards, and I even put together a bolt-action gun capable of doing it several years ago. Nothing special, it is just a Savage 308 with medium-contour barrel that I dropped into a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock (which allows adjustments but is less than $200). I already had an older Leopold 4.5-14 x 50 scope that I mounted on a 20 MOA rail. Nothing special, but it will shoot a consistent .75 MOA 3 shot groups. To get ready, I ran this combination through a ballistics program to find out my MOA come-ups. Earlier, Shooterwolf had advised me to switch from 168 grain 308 to 175 grain 308, as the lighter bullets go subsonic past 950 yards.

The first thing Shooterwolf did was upgrade my bipod, tightening a few things and I purchased a set of aluminum spike feet from the range store, to use on the bare ground. Then we were off to the short-range, which runs from 235 to 400 yards.

Short Range:

When you go on safari in Africa, the PH always has clients “check their zero”, which really means “check their gun handling and shooting skills”. We started at 235 yards, then 300, then 375 and 400. Each step I recorded my actual clicks vs ballistic program and Shooterwolf worked on my position behind the gun and spotted my shots. We’d start with the 2 or 3 MOA targets and work down to really dial in my gun.

The smallest target on the rack was a sledgehammer head, small end toward the shooter. Luckily, I was able to connect with it at 235 and 300 yards. Truth be told, the 300 yard one was twisted a little sideways. Shooterwolf didn’t have any trouble connecting with his Savage 6.5 Creedmore.

Being an Appleseed Rifleman, I have solid fundamentals. I can shoot consistent groups using the Appleseed technique. But using a heavy gun with bipod and a rear bag was new territory for me, It took me awhile to learn to set up the gun. bipod, rear bag and my body so that the gun was pretty much right on target and would recoil straight back. Shooterwolf also kept lowering my position toward the ground too.

We then moved over to the 500-550-600 range. As my technique improved, I was able to hit 1 MOA targets, but was more consistent with 1.5 MOA targets. Wind starts to play a factor here, and I was dialing in some windage corrections.

I decided to skip the 550-700 range (which duplicates most other ranges I already shot) due to fatigue. By the time we were cleared to run the 900 and 1,000 range just after noon, we had been at the range for almost 4 hours and I had been up for over 9 hours.

Targets across the valley on the 1,000 yard range (1K is near the top of the far crest):

I went right to the 1,000 yard steel, and connected with a first shot on the largest 24”x 24” rectangle target. I was able to connect consistently with the next smaller target, a rectangle of 16” x 17”. But then I ran out of skill and scope magnification to see and connect with the next smaller target, pushing shots a little left and right.

So, in summary, I’m a sub-2 MOA shooter but not nearly a 1 MOA shooter.

What is really cool about 1,000 yard shooting is that the gun recoils, drops back down and the bullet has not even gotten to the target yet. Flight time is almost 2 seconds. And a long time after you see the impact, you hear the steel gong.

We dropped to 900, and then back to 1,000. As I finished up my 4th box of 175 grain Federal GMM, I threw in the towel. I was cooked, the rain was rolling in and I had a 3 hour drive back to Cleveland.

Frankly, if the range was closer, I’d be there a lot more frequently now. I can see how long-range shooting can be addictive. I wish I could find a longer than 200 yard range locally, just to practice.

First, I’m writing this up as a hearty thanks to Shooterwolf for inviting me to shoot with him at Rayner’s range. I never would have been able to master the bipod rifle technique enough to hit at 1,000 yards without his coaching.

Second, I’m writing this up to encourage everyone to go out and work on your shooting goals. Time is ticking away. Start small and work up. But start today.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Curzyk

Re: Mr. Glock goes the distance- 1,000 Yards

Post by Curzyk »

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing, and good shooting!
Last edited by Curzyk on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I blew up your 1K picture, and still can't see the target on my monitor....must get larger monitor! :D

That looks awesome! Congrats!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

What a great post!
Well done!
8)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

For those wondering:

http://www.raynersrange.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rayner's Gun Shop & Shooting Range
10908 Rayner Lane
Blue Rock, OH 43720
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Think how much more tiring it would have been if those 1,000 yard targets were knock downs and had to be manually reset after each hit. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Tusco near New Philadelphia has a 600 yard range. It is a little over 2 hours from Cleveland, depending where you are.

Thanks for the great write up. Sounds like it was a lot of fun!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Face

Post by Face »

Nice write up. I live about 1/2 hour 45 minutes from Rayner's and never been there :) Even best past the drive. I have no desire or equipment to do this (or the eyesight) but can see the trill and skill.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Very impressive, Rifleman Mr Glock!....errrr maybe that should be Mr Rifleman Glock....Mr Glock, Rifleman.....
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

TSiWRX wrote:I blew up your 1K picture, and still can't see the target on my monitor....must get larger monitor! :D

Even better, drop me a p.m. and come see/shoot it .

S.W.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

Mr. Glock,

You've worked hard on the fundementals for the last year, and it showed in your shooting.

It was a pleasure watching you ring steel all morning long.

I'm more than willing to shoot with you anytime.

S.W.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Very, very cool!!!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

shooterwolf wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:I blew up your 1K picture, and still can't see the target on my monitor....must get larger monitor! :D

Even better, drop me a p.m. and come see/shoot it .

S.W.
Thank you for the invite, Sir! :) I will most definitely take you up on it...but I must first get my fundamentals down! I'm still pretty horrible at long guns. :oops:

LegoGlock gifted me and my daughter a most wonderful gift this past year: a set of Appleseed tickets. :D I'm still working with my daughter (she's now 10 and 1/2) to get her comfortable enough in the range atmosphere to be on a shooting line with other shooters, but as soon as she's ready, we're going to make the trip.

Your most kind invitation is just that much more encouragement. Thank you!!! :)
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

One practice note, from Shooterwolf, is to get a 22 LR bolt action, mount a scope with tactical dials (i.e. you can turn the turrets like you do long range) and a bipod, and then shoot out 100 to 200 yards. Basically, you just scaled everything down (except stock fit) for short range practice that mimics long range shooting with a centerfire. You don't get the recoil impulse, of course, but 200 yards is stretching out the 22 LR.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Nice tip, Shooterwolf! And thanks for sharing that, Mr.Glock. :)

I'm actually very fond of my daughter's CZ 452. I've got a set of rings for it, but we have not yet progressed her beyond ironsights. That'll be something to remember!