Question about a potential student

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fireman

Question about a potential student

Post by fireman »

Hey all, I was contacted by a lady that an associate of mine referred to me, regarding the class to obtain her CHL.
In my discussion with her, she has informed me she was formerly with the Secret Service, has done private personal protection, and worked as a bailiff.

She says that she was certified Federal LEO, as well as went through an OPOTA class for bailiffs.

Does she even need the state mandatory class? She would definitely like some training in the state regs, and sounds like some additional firearms training. I've told her I definitely encourage that, but wanted to check on whether her prior credentials, assuming she has what she claims to, even require he to take the "safety class"

Thanks in advance
Steve
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Question about a potential student

Post by Mr. Glock »

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but why would a Federal LEO in the Secret Service need a basic handgun class?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Do we really need to go there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjYlpex4OM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I think she should take and pass the training.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

She may be able to carry under LEOSA but if she is not actually retired under that statute or does not have the appropriate documentation required by R.C. 2923.125 she will need a valid competency certification.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I'm pretty sure that if her OPOTA is up to date, that certificate will suffice.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
fireman

Post by fireman »

I tried to post reply last night, but my not so smartphone wouldn't co-operate...

ORC...always a fun read.
If she has, as she said, an OPOTA class as a bailiff from 2007, I think that would suffice. I also believe her to be eligible to have the fees waived.

2923.125 (B) (1) (c)
2923.125 (B) (3) (c) & (d) (i) (ii)& (g)

I think I have it correct.
Please correct me if I'm in need of it!!

She hasn't carried in a long while, and doesn't strike me as a "shooting" person. So I will guess outside of requals...probably not a great deal of trigger time. I think she is looking for more of a supervised teaching/learning thing on a range.

Steve
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

fireman wrote:She hasn't carried in a long while, and doesn't strike me as a "shooting" person. So I will guess outside of requals...probably not a great deal of trigger time. I think she is looking for more of a supervised teaching/learning thing on a range.
Legal requirements aside, it sounds like it would be a good idea for her to go ahead and get the additional training and trigger time. :-)
fireman

Post by fireman »

Absolutely agree!!! And am more than willing and able to do that for her. Just want to advise her of where to research the correct information to see what her option are.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My kid is an excellent shot, he was taught firearms by the Marines, and he qualified and practiced his shooting skills a great deal in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, he didn’t know Ohio firearms laws, nor was he aware of the possible pitfalls and landmines in Ohio law. The training in the Ohio law was where the class was of benefit to him.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Again, absolutely agree. That and some handling at the range would be covered. The laws however certainly do not take 8hrs to cover.

My question is, am I correct in my assertion that she doesn't require the full class.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I don’t know.

I tend to decide questions such as this in my favor. If it were me, I’d run the student through the entire class.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Tweed Ring wrote:
I tend to decide questions such as this in my favor. If it were me, I’d run the student through the entire class.

Absolutely,
I don't think the CHL class makes exceptions for individuals or their credentials, nor should it. Not fair to the other candidates in the class If I'm John McClain, and have saved a bunch of innocents from a high rise hostage/robbery situation in a A-shirt and barefoot, do I get an Ohio exemption from CHL class, or just attend portions of it? There really is no reason to even be telling you her credentials. She might be telling you this so you turn the other way and falsify your instructional criteria. If I had to sit through this, then she has to sit through this. BS.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

CCIman wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:

Absolutely,
I don't think the CHL class makes exceptions for individuals or their credentials, nor should it. Not fair to the other candidates in the class If I'm John McClain, and have saved a bunch of innocents from a high rise hostage/robbery situation in a A-shirt and barefoot, do I get an Ohio exemption from CHL class, or just attend portions of it? There really is no reason to even be telling you her credentials. She might be telling you this so you turn the other way and falsify your instructional criteria. If I had to sit through this, then she has to sit through this. BS.
I think the idea was that *if* the potential student can show competency through other means, then fireman could have the student sit in on just those portions that would benefit them the most - the law and actual firearms handling portions. At that point, I would think that fireman would *not* provide a certificate of competency since the student did not in fact complete a qualifying class under his instructorship. I know *I* certainly wouldn't give a certificate under those conditions, but would be willing to have the student sit in on those portions - for a reduced fee...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
fireman

Post by fireman »

If the potential student chooses to take the complete class, as prescribed by the law, then I will issue a certificate. Under no circumstances would I issue a certificate for a shortened class, regardless of her credentials!!!

The only reason her prior experience came into the conversation, was she had been referred to me, by a coworker of mine. He works a side gig with some of the SWAT team guys he serves with doing security/ active shooter trainings. I do not generally instruct those I do not know, so asked him about her after she contacted me.

I have sent her the applicable parts of the law I believe allow her prior training in the OPOTA class (yes the firearms training was part of that)...and simply have given her choices. I also advised her I am not an attorney, or the issuing authority for the CHL and that she should look into it and decide.

If her prior training and work experience qualifies her for the issuance of a CHL, I have no problem with that. Should she like someone to sit down on go over the AG book with her...shadow her at a range and make sure she is handling the firearm safely, I can certainty provide that service. There will not be any kind of certification issued by me for such....but I have nothing in it. Simply helping out a firearms owner that has asked for help, and helping add another CHL member to the ever growing family.

Steve