Online Training?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bigbosky

Online Training?

Post by bigbosky »

A friend of mine showed me this today. Online ccw training?
Is this a scam? I thought you had to have on range training.
http://www.carryacademy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Online Training?

Post by sodbuster95 »

Online training may or may not suffice for the classroom portion of Ohio's training requirement, but obviously is insufficient for Ohio's mandatory 2-hour live fire portion.

Moreover, even if this type of training were sufficient, the course you've linked to is only 30 minutes long. That's 11 1/2 hours too short for Ohio.

I didn't browse that page very deeply, so I guess it's possible their "training" is sufficient for another state.

But not Ohio.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
BobK

Post by BobK »

That training is intended for VA, OR, or IA. It could be used for a VA non-resident license.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I believe the NRA is kicking around the idea of part of their basic handgun course being done online. HB234 as passed will call for an 8 hour class by a national gun group or something to that effect. So if one of those groups has online class as part of their course then it should be ok by ohio law. Their is still the 2 hour range/firearm handling portion to satisfy ohio.

I for one am not for it as too many people will figure out a way to not really be at their computer or have someone else at their computer instead.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Today, an online course will not satisfy Ohio's CHL training law. If the bill recently passed is signed by the Governor (I've been away for two days so don't know if it has happened yet), then after the new law takes effect a portion of the class can be online, but not before then. And yes, there will still be a 2-hour in-person range and live-fire training required on top of the 6-hour classroom portion which can be online.

And further, the NRA has stated that they will be moving to a "blended" training course for their Basic Pistol class, with a portion online (the old classroom training) and a portion in-person (the range and live fire). So, it appears the new NRA blended training will satisfy the new law, when/if it takes effect.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bigbosky

Post by bigbosky »

interesting.... I would think online firearms training is a terrible idea.
And the reason it sounds like a scam is because it states specifically that this will satisfy ohios requirements.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

bigbosky wrote:interesting.... I would think online firearms training is a terrible idea.
And the reason it sounds like a scam is because it states specifically that this will satisfy ohios requirements.
I think because it indirectly does. I think it satisfies Virginia and Ohio is in reciprocity with Virginia. Therefore you can carry in Ohio on an non-resident online Virginia license.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

soberbiker wrote:...
I for one am not for it as too many people will figure out a way to not really be at their computer or have someone else at their computer instead.
For it or against it, online is what the NRA "blended" training model is all about.
bigbosky wrote:interesting.... I would think online firearms training is a terrible idea.
Why?

There is absolutely no training required to purchase and own a firearm OR ammo. There is no training required to load that gun and go shooting. There is no training required to carry that loaded firearm openly in public.

Are there some idiots out there that handle their firearms irresponsibly? Yes. Would they benefit from ANY type of training, even if it was online? Absolutely.

Would it be effective? No more than spending $50 to $250 on a 12-hour class through which you are FORCED to sit through just to put a piece of fabric over your handgun.

If you aren't seeking the education, you will not learn from the education.
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: Would it be effective? No more than spending $50 to $250 on a 12-hour class through which you are FORCED to sit through just to put a piece of fabric over your handgun.
And to get in a vehicle without unloading, which is probably the more important point for the open carry types.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I have no issue with online training. I have done classroom training since the mid 1970's, and believe its a better delivery format vis-à-vis the classic communication talk-hear-respond loop. I am concerned that the students receive appropriate training regarding Ohio law.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Tweed Ring wrote:I am concerned that the students receive appropriate training regarding Ohio law.
It seems likely that the majority of students will not receive such training under the new law. Many instructors filled the void between the NRA Basic Pistol class time and the mandated CHL class time with topics related to Ohio law, self defense, etc. That additional time has now been legislated out of the required CHL training so that it would appear the NRA Basic Pistol class will be sufficient in and of itself to satisfy the new CHL training requirements. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how it would appear to me.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:I am concerned that the students receive appropriate training regarding Ohio law.
It seems likely that the majority of students will not receive such training under the new law. Many instructors filled the void between the NRA Basic Pistol class time and the mandated CHL class time with topics related to Ohio law, self defense, etc. That additional time has now been legislated out of the required CHL training so that it would appear the NRA Basic Pistol class will be sufficient in and of itself to satisfy the new CHL training requirements. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how it would appear to me.
I would agree but I think Ohio eliminated instructors going over the laws many years ago. I forget when, but they changed giving students the AG Booklet to "Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731." So technically I don't need to tell them any laws and it seems like by changing from requiring me to provide the pamphlet to simply giving the website address they don't want it covered. Just one person's opinion. I of course still give the pamphlets or print them out if I can't get any.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I trained with an attorney who was knowledgeable regarding Ohio CHL laws/issues/rulings. It was a two hour block.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
I would agree but I think Ohio eliminated instructors going over the laws many years ago. I forget when, but they changed giving students the AG Booklet to "Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731." So technically I don't need to tell them any laws and it seems like by changing from requiring me to provide the pamphlet to simply giving the website address they don't want it covered. Just one person's opinion. I of course still give the pamphlets or print them out if I can't get any.
It isn't required to use any classroom time to cover Ohio law, but is common practice from what I have seen. Also a good idea to provide the AG booklet instead of just the URL regardless, I agree.
NRA Life Member