Getting into sport shooting

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

Getting into sport shooting

Post by soldier24 »

I would really like to get into 3 gun, or IDPA . I don't know much about how to start. I have an ar / shotgun (870) and pistol. I am curious how to get everything started, ammo , gear etc. Is everything out of pocket? Do people get sponsors. I know mostly you have to prove your self to get a something. Where are the ranges to do this?
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Klingon00

Re: Getting into sport shooting

Post by Klingon00 »

Sorry I can't help you with ranges in the Cincinnati area but a can speak a little about my experience at the PCSI range near Circleville. I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge.

I assume it's a similar arrangement at other ranges, but at PCSI they have small entry free, usually around $10. You bring any holsters, guns, ammo and any other equipment you feel you will need during the course of a match. Details and dates are posted on the ranges website.

For IDPA I usually bring at least 200-250 rounds of ammo but don't ever shoot that much. Holster should be outside the belt and oriented slightly behind the center line on your pants. You will need a cover garment of some type to conceal your firearm. You'll want at least 3 magazines with some way to cary them loaded to not more than 10 rounds. Each stage will require at least one reload to complete.

There should be some sort of new shooter orientation/safety meeting before a match to explain basic rules.

I usually arrive around 9am and the match isn't usually over until around 2pm depending upon how many people show up and how quickly people are shooting each stage.

I recommend bringing a water bottle or some way to remain hydrated, and possibly a snack if you think you'll need it.

Pay attention to the RO instructions, ask plenty of questions, don't rush things on your first try, focus instead on being safe and getting used to the rules on your first try. There will likely be things you can do to pass the time between when you shoot to help out like putting pasters on the targets and resetting the stage or helping to pickup brass.
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Uspsa.org
Idpa.com
Brianenos.com forums

are some sites to go to besides this one to help find matches.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. is a wealth of information for the Cincinnati area for ranges and shoots. I am sure he will along shortly. If not, try dropping him a PM - he is a friendly guy like that!
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Stryker74 wrote:Brian D. is a wealth of information for the Cincinnati area for ranges and shoots. I am sure he will along shortly. If not, try dropping him a PM - he is a friendly guy like that!
Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I can sort of live up to them. :lol:

Three Gun is obviously an outdoors event, indoor ranges frown on aerial clay targets used for the shotgun parts of a match. :wink: Plus you get the benefit of some 100 yards and longer rifle work.

Clinton County farmers and Sportsmans, south of Wilmington, do these matches spring through fall, one Sunday a month. I've never attended but friends seem to enjoy them.

At one time they were also held at Miamisburg Sportsmans Association, not sure about presently.

As to IDPA, CCFSA mentioned above hosts those in the good weather months as well. Another club would be the Izaac Walton just north of Oxford. Very good matches.

Besides these and Pickaway County's shindigs as previously mentioned, that's all I'm aware of in the general SW part of Ohio, outdoors-wise.

Since Ready Line in Newtown opened up they have had various kinds of handgun competitions, the specifics seem to change up from month to month. Since they have some 100 yard rifle lanes as well, perhaps long gun matches are being thought of, I'll ask next time I see my pal who is employed there.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.