shooting on state land

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soldier24

shooting on state land

Post by soldier24 »

Just curious if it is legal to fire a weapon at targets on state land in Ohio. I know this is legal in Michigan ( I shoot more when I see my family because of this). I hate going to ranges , paying fees and not having the freedoms to shoot how I want or the needed training. I have seen very little on the topic on google and other sites. Of course I wouldn't be hunting and not firing on state parks or private land.

Thanks guys.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Brian D.

Re: shooting on state land

Post by Brian D. »

Ohio has four or five Class A ranges scattered around the state. Those have range officers and a fee is required to get a use permit. The permits can't typically be bought at the ranges themselves, you have to get them wherever hunting/fishing licenses are sold. Plus there are maybe twice that many that are free, less developed, unsupervised and require you to "bring your own everything".

Outside of those I don't think it would be legal to shoot on other state lands save for licensed hunting where allowed.

Perhaps there are some places on National Forest lands in Ohio were shooting is legal but don't recall seeing ranges there like they have in Kentucky throughout the Daniel Boone NF. But then National Forest regulations on that vary from state to state anyhow; out west it is often legal to shoot almost anyplace in the NF's.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.