Heading to TDI this weekend...

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Voice

Heading to TDI this weekend...

Post by Voice »

Well, I'm heading out to TDI this weekend. Out if curiosity, is anybody else here scheduled for Pistol 1-3 this weekend?

Any advice from those who have already gone?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Heading to TDI this weekend...

Post by Mr. Glock »

Bring liquid band-aid if you are prone to blisters, the trigger guard can really start to rub away at the second finger after 3 days of shooting.

You'll have a great time....I'm heading to H6 later in the year.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

A very nice AAR by Stryker74 - http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... e#p4274861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this your first class?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

I believe Chad Baus from Buckeye is going to the class this weekend.

I am taking my youngest son to L1-3 the last weekend of this month.

ENJOY!

JLE
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Voice wrote:Well, I'm heading out to TDI this weekend. Out if curiosity, is anybody else here scheduled for Pistol 1-3 this weekend?

Any advice from those who have already gone?

Have water available - almost all of Sat and Sun is outside, shooting. Also, consider rain gear if you want/need it - the class continues rain or shine. (I shot my live fire house in the rain on Sunday.)

Most importantly - keep an open mind when it comes to the approach to shooting. I shot in a modified weaver for years - and quickly changed that up at TDI based on their instruction. I saw the results quickly, and by the end of the course - I had a much more confident shot placement. Mind you, I plan to get back down there for a Handgun II and III next year as well. Still good to build on some of the basics - especially when you don't get to shoot as often as you like.

Have fun while you are there. The TDI instructors are great guys and gals, and they have some great stories. You may fall in more with a few particular instructors based on personality types - but these folks are all fine instructors. You will learn from all of them - that is a certainty.

Oh, and if you shoot an HK *anything* - be prepared for some ribbing from those guys. David Bowie in particular likes to jab at HKs. :lol:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Voice

Post by Voice »

TSiWRX wrote:A very nice AAR by Stryker74 - http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... e#p4274861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this your first class?
It's my first class at TDI, but I've had 3 at Point Blank (CCW, Basic Handgun, and one other that I forget the name where we actually ended the practical portion with an IDPA-style course).

I'm bringing water and food, and an emergency poncho in case it rains enough to matter.

I don't shoot an HK, but my pistol is a Taurus. I'm looking to replace it with an M&P, not because of any issues running it, but because it rubs the underside of my trigger finger in a way that I've discovered an M&P doesn't. Won't happen for at least another few months, though.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Cool. As long as you've had some previous classes, you'll have a decent idea of what to bring and what you'll need, you'll be fine. :)

I've got a pretty extensive general list, but I think you pretty much have things nailed-down by this point. The specific items that those who've been to this school and have noted will be of more value to you than my rambling list. :oops: :lol:

Have fun! 8)
Voice

Post by Voice »

Well, I've been, and am back (and took yesterday off to recover). Had a great time, learned a lot, and didn't go through half of the recommended ammo. Abused the hell out of my hands. Will definitely go back again!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Congrats! :)
SnareMan

Post by SnareMan »

Its a great class. Did they give you any hassle over your Taurus? I'll warn you, you get sucked in... I've been to TDI 22 times now. I generally shoot half to 2/3 of the recommended ammo number. Just did TacRifle 2-3 this weekend, going back for FIST next weekend. We had 9 instructors for 17 students. They always have a great ratio. Here's a little vid I made this weekend.

http://youtu.be/TT6dRouo-d8
Voice

Post by Voice »

Nope. No hassle over the Taurus.

Unfortunately, I learned that the minor discomfort I've experienced at the range turns into outright *pain* when I shoot nearly 1000 rounds over the course of two days. As a result, I'm saving up for an M&P, which doesn't seem to bite my trigger finger the same way.

All said and done, this was probably the best money I've spent on anything firearm-related so far.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Congrats. :)

Can you (and are you willing to, if you can), modify the trigger (or trigger guard?) of your Taurus?
Voice

Post by Voice »

I suspect it could probably be done, though I'd want some high speed footage of the recoil to definitively identify the cause before having someone mess with the frame.

I'm certainly not going to try doing it myself, though.
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

I had a question about logistics. When I went for fun and gun I just brought a duffel, but saw quite a few people with rolling tool boxes. At the 1-3 courses, is there enough time to go back to your van to get ammo/food/water or is the toolbox a better option? Also, how many people had an inside the waistband holster?
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Ole_Griz, the FnG is a little different because you are all moving around to different areas away from the main range. During most classes, you are at 'a' location. It may be the lower range, the steel plates, upper range, the live-fire house, the jungle lane etc. For 1-3, most of the time is at the lower range with some time in the live fire houses. You are right there at your cars almost all of the time and when you are not, they will tell you make sure you bring ???/??? to the live fire house or upper range.

My son and I will back down there this weekend, any others going?

JLE